Going to the Flyers/Rangers game

brelic

On March 26th in NY. Anyone else going to the game? I was worried when I first booked it that it could end up being a 'nothing' game, but it seems like it's going to be a HUGELY important game! Should be fun. It will be my first trip to MSG, and NYC for that matter.

Any suggestions on what to do after the game?

On March 26th in NY. Anyone else going to the game? I was worried when I first booked it that it could end up being a 'nothing' game, but it seems like it's going to be a HUGELY important game! Should be fun. It will be my first trip to MSG, and NYC for that matter.Any suggestions on what to do after the game?

Gee, that's a tough one... tough to find fun things to do in New York City at night...

On a more serious note, MSG is a great arena. I've never seen a hockey game there though, just the Grateful Dead.

• Like 1

Gee, that's a tough one... tough to find fun things to do in New York City at night...

I've never been to NYC before, and thought I would ask if there are fun things people typically do after the game.

We've got plans for the Friday night, and the Wednesday hockey game should end around 10ish. The Winery Dogs are playing the same night, but they start at 8, I think, so they would be done by then. Plus, ever since Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater, his projects have been too cheesy for me.

Portnoy was a nice addition to Avenged Sevenfold, but apparently that situation was always temporary.  Not sure if thats true, since DT makes it sounds like Portnoy is not the easiest person to work with.  I have not followed his stuff since he left Avenged Sevenfold.  I still enjoy Dream Theater though.

As far as things to do in NYC, you should talk to my brother (Poulin20)  He may be able to recommend something, as he goes into NYC more frequently than I do.  I know one of his favorite places to go is called the Brooklyn Brewery.  Of course, it is over in Brooklyn, so it's not right around the corner from MSG, but I'm sure you could take the subway or a cab over there.  Again, my brother will be able to help you out more with the specifics.

've never been to NYC before, and thought I would ask if there are fun things people typically do after the game.

I was just kidding there. Obviously there are tons of things to do in NYC. I haven't been there in years though so I don't remember what's right around MSG. But as Adamflyers says, you're right at the subway so you can get pretty much anywhere in Manhattan (or Brooklyn) easy enough.

Edited by JackStraw

@brelic

Depends on what you are in the mood for, but that whole area is PACKED with things to do.  And what makes NY unique, it got the name of the "City that never sleeps" for a reason.  Many of the places are literally open all night long, which is just about the only city in this entire country.  So by the time the game is over, there are still tons of things to do if you are up for that.

Harrington's Bar and Grill and Hard Rock Cafe are both pretty nice places to hang out beofre and after the game.  Plenty of choices of beer and great food.

You can never go wrong by stopping at the Times Square.  I've never seen more dynamic and life place anywhere in the world (maybe with the exception of Rio, Brazil and Venece, Italy).

High Line Park, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, I mean.... geez.

Edited by Mad Dog

@brelic

Depends on what you are in the mood for, but that whole area is PACKED with things to do.  And what makes NY unique, it got the name of the "City that never sleeps" for a reason.  Many of the places are literally open all night long, which is just about the only city in this entire country.  So by the time the game is over, there are still tons of things to do if you are up for that.

Harrington's Bar and Grill and Hard Rock Cafe are both pretty nice places to hang out beofre and after the game.  Plenty of choices of beer and great food.

You can never go wrong by stopping at the Times Square.  I've never seen more dynamic and life place anywhere in the world (maybe with the exception of Rio, Brazil and Venece, Italy).

High Line Park, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, I mean.... geez.

Thanks for the recommendations MD. We're staying in the West 49th/9th area, which I believe is close to Times Square. Sounds like getting back to Times Square after the game would be a good bet.

Basically, I don't think any of us are 'touristy' types - we're not interested in attractions like Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, 30 Rock, big museums, etc. We're more into nooks and crannies, intimate places, local places. One of the guys has been there before, so he can act as a bit of a tour guide.

Do you guys have a favourite place or a must-see place when you go there?

Thanks for the recommendations MD. We're staying in the West 49th/9th area, which I believe is close to Times Square. Sounds like getting back to Times Square after the game would be a good bet.

Basically, I don't think any of us are 'touristy' types - we're not interested in attractions like Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, 30 Rock, big museums, etc. We're more into nooks and crannies, intimate places, local places. One of the guys has been there before, so he can act as a bit of a tour guide.

Do you guys have a favourite place or a must-see place when you go there?

Like everyone else said it is a really tough question as you need at least a year to do all of the cool things there are to do in NYC.

As my brother mentioned, The Brooklyn Brewery is one of my favs but is only open on weekends which wont help you much.  Off the top of my head here are a few cool things as far a bars and eating go....

If you want something really close to your hotel, and you are into dive bars Rudy's is a place for you.  They are fun as far as dive bars go and they have unlimited free hot dogs there! (Just ask the bartender)  Look for the gigantic pig on on the side walk!  www.rudysbarnyc.com

If you want to venture out a bit and you are still thinking of beer a really fun place to go which is always hopping is the Biergarten at the Standard in the meatpacking district!  You need to take the subway or a cab down there and there is a line to get in but it is loads of fun.  Check out these review on yelp!  http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-biergarten-at-the-standard-high-line-new-york

If a live music Rock Bar is your thing might I suggest The Bitter End?  http://www.bitterend.com/  It is a historical place where a lot of famous people got their starts.

If you want food that is kind of cool here are some of my favorites:

Ippudo NY (Japanese Ramen, if you want a fun asain food experience the food is amazing but the place is usually crowded) in the Village or Midtown.  I would suggest midtown as it is less crowded or at least was last time I was there in the summer. www.ippudony.com

The meatball shop has multiple locations all over NYC.  It is fun and serves all kinds of meatballs.  The knock I have on it is that you only get 3 meatballs with your meal and I sometimes am left wanting more. http://themeatballshop.com/

Since you like nooks and crannies you may want to try This Little Piggy Had Roast Beef.  It is a total tiny hole in the wall with a variety AWESOME roast beef sandwiches.  I usually order 3 or 4 types of sandwiches and share them with my dining partners.  They also have hand cut fries which are great.  http://www.thislittlepiggynyc.com/

If you are into Deli Sandwiches I would try the Carnegie Deli or KAtz's  I think that Carnagie is closer to where you are staying but Katz's would be a good option if you are going to the beer garden as it is in that vicinity.  The sandwiches at both of these places are huge.  You need a compactor to smash them down to even get them into your mouth.  Cash only at these places FYI.  https://katzsdelicatessen.com/ and http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

Finally if you are into NY style Pizza coal fired pizza you have 2 options Lombardi's and Grimaldi's.  I llike both but Grimaldi's recently expanded and so there is more room there and less of a wait.  Grimaldi's is under the Brooklyn Bridge and Lombardi's is in little Italy so pick your poision.  http://www.grimaldis.com/ and http://www.firstpizza.com/

This is only barely scratching the surface biut all of these places are treasures of NYC. Some are more touristy than others but are a nice break from the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building sightseeing.  Have a great time!

Edited by Poulin20

@Poulin20

Wow, thanks so much poulin! I am forwarding this stuff to my buddies and we'll be sure to check out what we can. We're there from Wednesday to Sunday, so we should have enough time to visit at least a few spots.

Dream Theater on Friday night at the Hammerstein! Should be excellent!

Cheers!

@Poulin20

Wow, thanks so much poulin! I am forwarding this stuff to my buddies and we'll be sure to check out what we can. We're there from Wednesday to Sunday, so we should have enough time to visit at least a few spots.

Dream Theater on Friday night at the Hammerstein! Should be excellent!

Cheers!

Oh nice I didnt realize you were there so long!  With you being there on Fri and Sat the Brooklyn Brewery could be in in play for you as well! 

http://brooklynbrewery.com/visit/visiting-the-brooklyn-brewery

Have a great time!!!  Believe me you will!! (Especially if the Flyers win)