Revisiting the Kessel, Seguin Moves

I agree with your first sentence. But the whole idea behind trades is to make your team better to win the cup. The Bruins did this by trading Kessel. They won the cup. Kessel wasn't liked in the Bruins dressing room and they definately play a team game, which kessel doesn't..So just from a guess they don't win the one cup, let alone two WITH Phil, but there's no proof. But they did in fact win one.

Personally I'd take Seguin straight up over him. We're seeing what Kessel can do for the Leafs without their real MVP, Bernier.

I liked Seguin over Kessel as well and agree with a lot of your points, just playing devil's advocate and I do believe right now as far as players go Boston has less to show for it on their roster. When the youngins mature that will change.

Now the deal between Boston and Dallas, the Stars took them to the cleaners. A kid like Seguin who has been a perfect match with Benn has them on the edge of the playoffs and look like one of the most exciting duo's in the game. They gave up a white chip and a red chip and added a Blue chip as well as the tragic case of Peverley.

So the three teams involved:

1. Bruins

2. Stars (Until they win a cup)

3. Leafs (See comment on Stars)

I also want to add with no attempt to insult Kessel, I love his style but I am not certain a team with him as its best player will ever win a cup.

Yup. Took the Bruins to the cleaners is right.

When that "Behind the B" show came out in Sept (or whenever it was) I was stunned by the stupid things I was hearing out of Boston management. I shouldn't have been, given the sorts of crap I heard from the Oilers and Flyers in their own shows, but the Bruins were just as bad. They fixated on what Tyler Seguin doesn't do instead of what he does. This isn't always a bad thing, except in the case of good young players who can do the hardest thing in hockey: create offense.

It was a dumb trade the day it happened, and will always be.

I liked Seguin over Kessel as well and agree with a lot of your points, just playing devil's advocate and I do believe right now as far as players go Boston has less to show for it on their roster. When the youngins mature that will change.

What shows on the Roster and what shows in results are often different.

That being said, I was surprised they gave up on Seguin

But they've got a heck of a young player in Reilly Smith and another

My favorite player from the game the other night. 

So, the trail being long and the prospects not there yet, who are the losers and winners between Boston-Toronto-Dallas? 

@Vanflyer

The original trade was made because Burke had no patience. He didn't want to wait for prospects to develop, so he sent 2-1sts and a 2nd for Kessel. Speeding up the program has resulted in a grand total of ONE playoff appearance, a first round loss. Kessel is a one dimensional goalscorer who shys away from contact, refuses to backcheck and will never be mistaken for a leader. Sounds like an integral part to a cupbuilding plan, no? Losers Leafs.

Right now Seguin is the best player out of the lot. If you judge by that, Dallas wins. But the whole idea is to win a cup, which Boston not only has already done, but also loaded themselves with some really good young players in Hamilton and Smith, prospect Knight and veteran Ericksson.

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

The original trade was made because Burke had no patience. He didn't want to wait for prospects to develop, so he sent 2-1sts and a 2nd for Kessel. Speeding up the program has resulted in a grand total of ONE playoff appearance, a first round loss. Kessel is a one dimensional goalscorer who shys away from contact, refuses to backcheck and will never be mistaken for a leader. Sounds like an integral part to a cupbuilding plan, no? Losers Leafs.

Right now Seguin is the best player out of the lot. If you judge by that, Dallas wins. But the whole idea is to win a cup, which Boston not only has already done, but also loaded themselves with some really good young players in Hamilton and Smith, prospect Knight and veteran Ericksson.

Thanks. I was not paying attention (seriously). So Boston 1, Dallas 2 and Toronto 3. 

You could call the Bruins/Stars a tie? Seguin is a hell of a player though.

Always liked him. 

But I don't know anything. I supported JVR before Turris (a BC Kid). Turns out (thus far) Turris is better and having a monster year playing the same minutes as JVR, yet at center and all situations. 

@Vanflyer

That draft was pretty weak at the top. Turris has definately become a player. It took him years to get strong enough to be an NHLer. Jamie Benn, Subban, McDonough and Couture have ended up being the best players after Kane. Heck you could maybe even throw in Voracek, Perron and Gagner.

JVR is back to being JVR in Toronto. He's playing his "ahh, i don't feel like it today" game again.

JVR is back to being JVR in Toronto. He's playing his "ahh, i don't feel like it today" game again.

Is it him, or is it the team / line? Kessel has vanished as well. I just don't get JVR. He could and  should be a dynamite player but whats between his ears and in his chest are faulty. 

All things being equal, he is putting up a 30 goal year. Thats more than Turris. What I see in Turris (the limited Ottawa games I have seen), is he has become a complete player in all three zones. You are right about his size. I think he was maybe 175lbs soaking wet when he entered the NHL. 

Couture was number 9 I believe and seems to be the class of the top 10. I will always give more weight to centers / d-men, than goalies. 

@Vanflyer

Well it may be both, but he's definately mailing it in. The Leafs were still playing basically the same as when they were winning...their style just isn't conducive to winning. They've been outplayed almost every game this year. But earlier, JVR was going into the corners, and playing hard in front of the opposing net. Now he's worried about his manicure.

They've been outplayed almost every game this year. But earlier, JVR was going into the corners, and playing hard in front of the opposing net. Now he's worried about his manicure.

So....what you are saying is that Kessel and JVR are too busy blowing each other??? 

Where is Lupul? 

Seriously (and sorry, this should be a family oriented forum), looking at it now, would you rather have L Schenn or JVR?

@Vanflyer

JVR has way more talent than Schenn. It's not even close. If JVR put his mind to it I really believe he could be 35/35 guy. I just don't think he cares for long stretches. I don't think that trade is ever going to work in our favour. Sometimes it looks like a brutal trade. And times like now it looks a heck of a lot closer.

Lupul is back being Lupie again.

• Like 1