Re-Signing Brayden Schenn

brelic

Love it. Really nice deal for a solid top 9 forward who can play all positions and is a strength defensively.

Kinda leaves me scratching my head as to why B Schenn is without a contract.

Edited by radoran
split from a Raffl thread
  • Like 1

Love it. Really nice deal for a solid top 9 forward who can play all positions and is a strength defensively.

Kinda leaves me scratching my head as to why B Schenn is without a contract.

Could also have to do with "tagging space" etc. and whether or not they can fit the extension number under the cap rightnow.

He's RFA so there's no real concern (unless you think he could be offer sheeted).

Could also have to do with "tagging space" etc. and whether or not they can fit the extension number under the cap rightnow.

Capgeek has them with a $59M committed payroll next year, so that's not it. 

He's RFA so there's no real concern (unless you think he could be offer sheeted).

I'm not worried about offer sheeting either. It's just curious that the Flyers would make sure they lock up Couturier, Read, Raffl, Mason, but not Schenn. They've got the room, but it seems something is preventing them from signing him in-season. 

Capgeek has them with a $59M committed payroll next year, so that's not it. 

No, I mean the "extension" provisions - IIRC they have to have room under this year's cap to sign extensions and capgeek has them at $0 projected space.

I'm not worried about offer sheeting either. It's just curious that the Flyers would make sure they lock up Couturier, Read, Raffl, Mason, but not Schenn. They've got the room, but it seems something is preventing them from signing him in-season.

Raffl and Read were pending UFAs?

Again, not sure they have "all the room" that Schenn might be looking for rightnow...

Raffl, strangely, was an RFA. I'm guessing because of his age.

Tagging rule just means that they have to fit all committed salaries next year under the current cap number, not the projected 71 million number, until the new cap becomes official. ie, you treat next year's cap like it's exactly the same as this year - giving the Flyers a little under $5 million in "tagging room" for next year.

Raffl, strangely, was an RFA. I'm guessing because of his age.

Tagging rule just means that they have to fit all committed salaries next year under the current cap number, not the projected 71 million number, until the new cap becomes official. ie, you treat next year's cap like it's exactly the same as this year - giving the Flyers a little under $5 million in "tagging room" for next year.

I've been searching for this but...

Do you know if LTIR is projected forward? I don't believe it is - in which case the Pronger contract could be having an effect of eating up that $5M pretty darn quick.

Good call on Raffl - could have sworn as a FA he was UFA next year. No worries either way.

Pronger's salary is already projected forward. That 5ish million remains AFTER it is taken into account.

Doing the math, then - they have about $4.5M ($4,575,644) including Pronger ($64.1M cap, $59.5M NY Payroll). 

Given that, could be that we see a deal in the relatively near future - if they can get him signed for under $4M or so. Unless there are some other provisions (IIRC "tagging space" also includes pro-rated two-way deals and all one-ways). They may need to simply wait until the off-season exemption kicks in to finalize the deal?

Doing the math, then - they have about $4.5M ($4,575,644) including Pronger ($64.1M cap, $59.5M NY Payroll).

Given that, could be that we see a deal in the relatively near future - if they can get him signed for under $4M or so. Unless there are some other provisions (IIRC "tagging space" also includes pro-rated two-way deals and all one-ways). They may need to simply wait until the off-season exemption kicks in to finalize the deal?

All of that sounds right. Homer might be leaving a little space for trades at the draft too. No real rush on B Schenn, although I'd feel more comfortable with him signed. Don't want to see an offer sheet.

All of that sounds right. Homer might be leaving a little space for trades at the draft too. No real rush on B Schenn, although I'd feel more comfortable with him signed. Don't want to see an offer sheet.

The RFA compensation $3.3-$5M is a 1st and a 3rd (or was, might be slightly higher). I gotta imagine the Flyers match up to there.

Someone offers $5M+ do you take the 1/2/3?

Interesting conundrum.

Basically, I don't think he gets a sheet for more than $5M and that he's a Flyer next season (barring trade).

The RFA compensation $3.3-$5M is a 1st and a 3rd (or was, might be slightly higher). I gotta imagine the Flyers match up to there.

Someone offers $5M+ do you take the 1/2/3?

Interesting conundrum.

Basically, I don't think he gets a sheet for more than $5M and that he's a Flyer next season (barring trade).

I match through 5m, and further depending on where I think the first rounder will fall in the draft.

Yah... I had conflated them in a previous thread regarding cap/tagging space. Sorry :D

I'm just trying to envision who might be interested in giving up a 1/2/3 for Schenn :D

Any playoff team that plans to stay there for a year?

Any playoff team that plans to stay there for a year?

So, of those - who needs a Top Six center? Pittsburgh? Chicago? Boston? Anaheim? San Jose? St. Louis? Don't see them in the plans.

Maybe Detroit takes a run? Tampa? Phoenix?

The good thing for the Flyers as I see it is that the player has to want to leave. Honestly, of the teams in the boat you describe, the Flyers are among the best options both for the player and the position. If I'm Schenn, I'm not sure I'm signing with what's more or less a perennial bubble team. Detroit might pique my interest. But unless it's stupid money, I just don't know that I sign it.

It'll be interesting...

:ph34r: 

So, of those - who needs a Top Six center? Pittsburgh? Chicago? Boston? Anaheim? San Jose? St. Louis? Don't see them in the plans.

Maybe Detroit takes a run? Tampa? Phoenix?

The good thing for the Flyers as I see it is that the player has to want to leave. Honestly, of the teams in the boat you describe, the Flyers are among the best options both for the player and the position. If I'm Schenn, I'm not sure I'm signing with what's more or less a perennial bubble team. Detroit might pique my interest. But unless it's stupid money, I just don't know that I sign it.

It'll be interesting...

Nashville signs him to a 6 year, 36 million dollar offer sheet as thanks for the Weber fiasco. :ph34r:

Edited by AJgoal

Nashville signs him to a 6 year, 36 million dollar offer sheet as thanks for the Weber fiasco. :ph34r:

Well, sure, I could see that.

And that means Flyers get Nashville's (probably Top 10 - currently 8(?)) pick plus two more high picks in subsequent rounds.

Again, though the player needs to want to sign the deal. Does Schenn want to go to the #22 team in the NHL? He might...

• Like 1

Money talks. We will see unfortunately. On the bright side, he does have to sign the offer sheet, so there is that hurdle.

I do think they can get a handshake agreement done prior, but Homer has shown that handshakes are worth the paper they are printed on.

I think Schenn wants to be here, which bodes well.

If someone offers him 6/$6M he's gone IMO.

(Of teams who rightnow don't have the 1/2/3 in the 2015 draft needed to make such an offer - Rags, Blues, Kings, Isles, Leafs, Sabres, Oilers, Sens, Pens).

Posted · Hidden by radoran, March 24, 2014 - unnecessary w Edit :)
Hidden by radoran, March 24, 2014 - unnecessary w Edit :)

I'd put it a little lower (@jammer2 suggested $6M and another (apologies) compared him to Faulk's deal in Carolina).

At $5M+ (just a little above) they move into the 1/2/3 category. I really don't see anyone who would be giving up 1/2/3 for Andrew MacDonald.

I've been wrong before, as you know :D

B Schenn.

B Schenn.

yeah, I realized I screwed that up AGAIN and that's when I went in to split up the darn threads :)

Was coming back to make the change, and you beat me to it.

Obv. trying to do FAR TOO MUCH at the same time today lol

Right, back to the actual topic (I is an idjit lol)