Chad Johnson....Flyers UFA target?

jammer2

No, this is not a substantiated rumor, just thinking out loud. Chad is 27, has never had a starting gig in the NHL, but if you take a look at his career stats, almost every year is very respectable. Could this guy be a franchise goalie, but just never got the chance to see what he can do? I'd love to see him as a back-up to Mason next year. He should be cost efficient, can't see him asking for the sun and moon in the negotiation process, but perhaps asks for just enough that the Bruins, up tight against the cap would not be able to accommodate his demands.

Of course, the question will inevitably turn to.....are his fantastic stats this year a result of being a system goalie, a product of the Bruins tight checking game plan....OR, just a middle aged goalie *finally* getting a chance to show what he can do? I suspect it's a bit of both. This guy could conceivably push Mason and make for a strong tandem. Certainly something to think about. Perhaps a 3 year deal for 6 mill, which would reward him for his excellent play this season.

I consider Johnson a Khodobin clone, a talented slightly older goalie who is getting a chance to shine. I'd love to see this guy in O & B....he would be a real nice upgrade over Emery....with the outside chance he is a star in his own right....well worth the gamble. Worth noting, the Bruins have P.K. Subban's little brother waiting in the wings, so maybe they don't make a hard run at retaining Johnson, just filling the void with the young but talented Subban, while saving a few mill.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69015

Chad is 27, has never had a starting gig in the NHL, but if you take a look at his career stats, almost every year is very respectable.

Great post. Seriously.

Chad Johnson could be a starter on a number of teams IMHO. A career 0.926 SV% and a GAA of 2.02.

I owned him in my keeper for years, if you can believe it, because I thought if he ever got the shot at a No. 1 he could do it. The Bruins were smart to grab him and give him a one-way deal.  He's in his prime and I don't believe he has any real bad injury history.

Great post. Seriously.

Chad Johnson could be a starter on a number of teams IMHO. A career 0.926 SV% and a GAA of 2.02.

I owned him in my keeper for years, if you can believe it, because I thought if he ever got the shot at a No. 1 he could do it. The Bruins were smart to grab him and give him a one-way deal.  He's in his prime and I don't believe he has any real bad injury history.

I'll bite. Then why isn't he?

I'll bite. Then why isn't he?

Lack of opportunity obviously. Behind Lundqvist in New York for years, then stuck behind Smith in PHX.

Also, he lacks the kind of pedigree that many like to see in a goalie, a la a Mason or a Bernier. He played Tier 2 and went the College route. But he's got the build and the game of the modern goalie: he's big, covers a lot of the net, has excellent positioning etc.