Frozen Four......

Vanflyer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, I was able to attend the Frozen Four.  Stayed in the North End, on the water in Boston.  What a great weekend.  

@HockeyJunkie  RIT was beaten by Universtiy of Nebraska Omaha--not Denver, just an FYI.

UN-Omaha was totally outplayed by Providence in the 1st game.  If it wasn't for their goalie, that game is a COMPLETE blowout.  To be blunt, they didn't even look like they belonged there.  It was that bad.

The UND-BU game was fantastic.  Great pace/action.  

The title game was a blast as well.  Crowd was probably 50-50, Providence vs BU fans.  The O'Connor gaffe was right in front of us, one of the worst goals I've ever seen, maybe THE worst.  

Eichel is a special player.  Kid has acceleration like I've never seen.  That being said, IMHO, he's no Connor McDavid.  There are long stretches when he is not noticeable.  Providence banged him every chance they got, and it seemed to have an affect in the latter half of the game.  Don't get me wrong, the kid is good.  I just don't see the total domination like we've come to expect with McDavid.  However,  the face-off rush/goal was pretty sweet.

Just thought I'd post a quick update.  Next year is Tampa!!  

Once again, I was able to attend the Frozen Four.  Stayed in the North End, on the water in Boston.  What a great weekend.  

@HockeyJunkie  RIT was beaten by Universtiy of Nebraska Omaha--not Denver, just an FYI.

UN-Omaha was totally outplayed by Providence in the 1st game.  If it wasn't for their goalie, that game is a COMPLETE blowout.  To be blunt, they didn't even look like they belonged there.  It was that bad.

The UND-BU game was fantastic.  Great pace/action.  

The title game was a blast as well.  Crowd was probably 50-50, Providence vs BU fans.  The O'Connor gaffe was right in front of us, one of the worst goals I've ever seen, maybe THE worst.  

Eichel is a special player.  Kid has acceleration like I've never seen.  That being said, IMHO, he's no Connor McDavid.  There are long stretches when he is not noticeable.  Providence banged him every chance they got, and it seemed to have an affect in the latter half of the game.  Don't get me wrong, the kid is good.  I just don't see the total domination like we've come to expect with McDavid.  However,  the face-off rush/goal was pretty sweet.

Just thought I'd post a quick update.  Next year is Tampa!!  

While I don't want to argue that Eichel is as good as McDavid, keep in mind that Eichel is a freshman. The guys he's playing against are for the most part more physically mature than what McDavid faces in juniors. It's extremely rare in any NCAA sport to see a freshman totally dominate the opposition.

While I don't want to argue that Eichel is as good as McDavid, keep in mind that Eichel is a freshman. The guys he's playing against are for the most part more physically mature than what McDavid faces in juniors. It's extremely rare in any NCAA sport to see a freshman totally dominate the opposition.

This hurts to say, but that's a valid point you make, Mr Straw.   :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@JackStraw

@jammer2

@hf101

For those that may care....

Arizona State Unveils Inaugural Season Jerseys

http://thehockeywriters.com/arizona-state-unveils-inaugural-season-jerseys/?utm_content=bufferbb468&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

ASU-Jerseys-770x470.jpg

...it's good to see the sport grow!

@JackStraw

@jammer2

@hf101

For those that may care....

Arizona State Unveils Inaugural Season Jerseys

http://thehockeywriters.com/arizona-state-unveils-inaugural-season-jerseys/?utm_content=bufferbb468&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

ASU-Jerseys-770x470.jpg

...it's good to see the sport grow!

Absolutely,

Those look like the Gopher Uni's.  

Allowing more prospects to play 4 years of hockey is good for the NHL development.

• 2 months later...

@hf101

Gambling scandal hits Boston University hockey, Roberto suspended

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/gambling-scandal-hits-boston-university-hockey--roberto-suspended-200125544.html

Sources indicate that Roberto was not the only BU player involved, though those players are no longer with the hockey program. The identity of those players could not be confirmed. Other sources have indicated that players from other teams were involved, too.

In a statement released to CHN today, the University said, “Beyond confirming that Mr. Roberto will not play for the Boston University hockey team this season, federal privacy laws prevent us from discussing his status.

“However, we can say that several months ago, we heard rumors that a BU hockey player had engaged in gambling. Although the rumors did not involve gambling on either college or professional hockey games, we nonetheless immediately conducted a thorough investigation and turned the results over to the appropriate authorities at the NCAA. Based on that investigation, the NCAA made its own findings and took remedial action, and we would refer you to that organization for further information.”

• 3 months later...

Parting early for NHL can be such sweet sorrow for college players and their teams

http://americansportsnet.com/parting-early-for-nhl-can-be-such-sweet-sorrow-for-college-players-and-their-teams/

ASN-Alex-Lyon-Yale-2

I'd like to see my Flyers sign one or two of these guys.

My top 3 Alex Lyon, Troy Stecher and Drake Caggiula....a goalie a defenseman and a left wing. Get'r done Hextall. 

Ah yes, it's that time of year again...where North Dakota gets to the Frozen Four...and fails to win the title.:mad:

Seriously, they've been in 8 of the last 12 Frozen Fours, and have nothing to show for it. Hopefully they can close the deal this time.

4 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Ah yes, it's that time of year again...where North Dakota gets to the Frozen Four...and fails to win the title.:mad:

Seriously, they've been in 8 of the last 12 Frozen Fours, and have nothing to show for it. Hopefully they can close the deal this time.

It will be on ESPN starting at 5!!!

Thursday, April 7, 2016
Non-Conference
5:00 ET (6) Boston College   vs. (1) Quinnipiac     NCAA Tournament     Amalie Arena, Tampa, Fla. ESPN2
8:30 ET (7) Denver   vs. (3) North Dakota     NCAA Tournament     Amalie Arena, Tampa, Fla. ESPN2

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25544555

Mad Devil i know you won't care about the below........

Four to watch

Brock Boeser: It's not often a freshman leads one of the top programs in the country in scoring, but Boeser was a scoring machine for UND. He led the squad with 26 goals and 54 points, showing why he was a first-round pick by the Vancouver Canucks last summer.

Drake Caggiula: One of the top college free agents this year, Caggiula has made the most of his four years at UND. This year, he was exceptional, posting 21 goals and 46 points alongside Boeser and Nick Schmaltz. Guy i have lobbied my Flyers to sign after they are done!!!

Troy Stecher: Another top college UFA, Stecher is a heady two-way defenseman who put up 28 points this year and gives teams trouble at both ends of the ice. He should have a bunch of offers when the season ends. Also a guy i'd love the Flyers to sign!!! Both are free agents. Hak work your magic!!!

Nick Schmaltz: A first-round pick of the Chicago Blackhawks, Schmaltz led the team with 34 assists as the brilliant playmaker on UND's vaunted “CBS Line.” There are few players as creative with the puck in the college game.

I'm pulling for ND.

I want Hexy to sign these guys would add some much needed skill to the Phantoms. Stecher would give the Phantoms 3 right hand shots with Alt, Willcox and then add Stecher....if they can.

Ugh...I hadn't even thought about the Flyers having an edge on signing some of these guys because of Hakstol.

That's okay though, you're about to find out that Hak's teams play well down the stretch, and then fold in the big games.:ahappy:

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it's Quinnipiac vs. North Dakota for it all.........Cam Johnson is playing damn well in net for ND. Crazy if they win it all finally after Hak leaves.

I swear they want to make their fans alcoholics. That third period last night was nerve wracking. After Denver tied it I was like "Oh no, here we go again..." but they pulled it out.

1 hour ago, MadDevil said:

I swear they want to make their fans alcoholics. That third period last night was nerve wracking. After Denver tied it I was like "Oh no, here we go again..." but they pulled it out.

You're a North Dakota fan?

9 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Well, considering I live in North Dakota...yes.:cool[1]:

So why the "Fighting Hawks?" to replace the Sioux? If you know....you should YOU ARE from North dakota...........right???:ph34r:

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So why the "Fighting Hawks?" to replace the Sioux? If you know....you should YOU ARE from North dakota...........right???:ph34r:

Because it won the vote to replace Fighting Sioux. It was either that or Roughriders, which isn't any better than Fighting Hawks.

It's still complete bullshit that they had to change it anyway.

3 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Because it won the vote to replace Fighting Sioux. It was either that or Roughriders, which isn't any better than Fighting Hawks.

It's still complete bullshit that they had to change it anyway.

Yeah especially since the Sioux tribe was ok with it.

Archived