10 from the West, six from the East

yave1964

Wings and Jackets clinched playoff spots in the Eastern conference last night.

I remember reading in here that the Wings were going to be taught a lesson about Eastern conference hockey and the streak of post season appearances was going to come to an end.

Nope.

I do not gloat very often in here, and truth is I do not expect a lot in the playoffs but we are there and only six teams from the 'East' made it and I am taking one minute to enjoy it before we face either the Bruins and get our rear ends kicked or the Penguins and likely get our rear ends kicked. And wishing everyone luck in the post season.

@yave1964

Pretty sure most of us "Easties" weren't looking forward to the Wings joining our conference. I don't recall anyone saying the Wings were going to be taught a lesson, but if they did I'm sure it was after Zetterberg and Datsyuk went down. In other words, only due to injury. I think most of us realize how good the west is.

• Like 1

@yave1964

The comment I made was that the east plays a more physical game and it would be interesting to see if guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg could take the punishment. The West has big bodies but I never felt the rivalries were quite the same.

Looking back now Datsyuk and Zetterberg didn't hold up so well this season. Might just need a year to adjust to avoiding hits more?

Wings and Jackets clinched playoff spots in the Eastern conference last night.

I remember reading in here that the Wings were going to be taught a lesson about Eastern conference hockey and the streak of post season appearances was going to come to an end.

Nope.

I do not gloat very often in here, and truth is I do not expect a lot in the playoffs but we are there and only six teams from the 'East' made it and I am taking one minute to enjoy it before we face either the Bruins and get our rear ends kicked or the Penguins and likely get our rear ends kicked. And wishing everyone luck in the post season.

I wouldn't do to much gloating about sneaking in as a 8th seed (for now) in the worst (by far) of the two conferences. ;)

I wouldn't do to much gloating about sneaking in as a 8th seed (for now) in the worst (by far) of the two conferences.

I wouldn't really call solidifying the 8th spot by 6 points "sneaking" in. Its not like they qualified on the last game of the season and had to pray for other teams wins / losses. That to me is "sneaking" in.

I wouldn't do to much gloating about sneaking in as a 8th seed (for now) in the worst (by far) of the two conferences. ;)

I wouldn't really call solidifying the 8th spot by 6 points "sneaking" in. Its not like they qualified on the last game of the season and had to pray for other teams wins / losses. That to me is "sneaking" in 

A week to go and a chance to set up our lineup and rest a few veterans. Like you said, that is not sneaking in. Not gloating, just saying a lot of folks have said the Wings would get it handed to them in the East and with the Wings and Jackets making the playoffs the West has ten teams that made it, and the loser of Phoenix and Dallas will also have a better record than any of the also rans. My comment was to point out that other than the top two teams in the East parity from 3-8 prevails as compared to the West. If the Wings were in the West playing divisional games against the Blues and Hawks it is a tossup if we would have made it.

• Like 1

Damn skippy I am thrilled to death, and no we did not sneak in. The Wings have faced an absurd amount of injuries to our key players and have managed to retool and are set for not just this season but next and years to come. Hell the only team besides the Wings who faced the quality injuries that we did is.....you guys. I am not expecting a lot but who knows? At least we made it which is more than I can say for 14 other clubs so again, Damn skippy.

I wouldn't really call solidifying the 8th spot by 6 points "sneaking" in. Its not like they qualified on the last game of the season and had to pray for other teams wins / losses. That to me is "sneaking" in.

Yeah - that's fair.  Good call.

Damn skippy I am thrilled to death, and no we did not sneak in. The Wings have faced an absurd amount of injuries to our key players and have managed to retool and are set for not just this season but next and years to come. Hell the only team besides the Wings who faced the quality injuries that we did is.....you guys. I am not expecting a lot but who knows? At least we made it which is more than I can say for 14 other clubs so again, Damn skippy.

The Wings are right up there with the Flyers as far as teams I do not want to face in the 1st round.  Give me BJ's any day of the week.

The Wings are one of those teams that you cannot pick against until they actually lose/miss the playoffs, etc.  It's like the Devils were until recently.

This is always the year they miss the playoffs....then they don't.  Wings are the same.

Give me BJ's any day of the week.

Truthfully, other than Bruins, Columbus is the next team that scares me out of the east. I don't have anything substantial to say why, but its just a gut feeling I have. 

I would absolutely love to see Columbus go against Boston first round, but if I am reading the tea leaves correctly, Detroit is pretty much there. 

Truthfully (and I mentioned this on game chat today), Columbus-NYR would be great because of the irony. Philly-Pitts because both teams hate each other, and Detroit-Boston because Detroit has Bostons number this year (but need a prayer from the injury ward). 

Truthfully, other than Bruins, Columbus is the next team that scares me out of the east. I don't have anything substantial to say why, but its just a gut feeling I have. 

I would absolutely love to see Columbus go against Boston first round, but if I am reading the tea leaves correctly, Detroit is pretty much there. 

Truthfully (and I mentioned this on game chat today), Columbus-NYR would be great because of the irony. Philly-Pitts because both teams hate each other, and Detroit-Boston because Detroit has Bostons number this year (but need a prayer from the injury ward). 

Those would all be great matchups. I doubt the Jackets can move past Philadelphia as their final two games are on the road and the Flyers own the first tie breaker but anything can happen.

If the Jackets play the Rangers it might be the most fun of any first round series. Then if The Flyers and Jackets meet in round 2 making a Bob/Mason matchup it would be a lot of fun as well. Lots of ifs and the Penguins and even the Wings will have their say as to final seeding but lots of potential from the Metro for some interesting series...

If the Jackets play the Rangers it might be the most fun of any first round series. Then if The Flyers and Jackets meet in round 2 making a Bob/Mason matchup it would be a lot of fun as well.

Forgot all about that. Truth be told, while its a roll of the dice, I don't see the Flyers past the first round (unless its against Pitts- and only because they have their number). Not a naysayer, just a realist. 

I just look at the Pens being 5-0 against them and figure it's the best match-up for us.  Not saying it will be a cake walk but I'd actually predict my team to win a series for a change.

Agree on Detroit/Boston.