Matt Cooke knee on knee

yave1964

Well, if Zach Parise has any kind of influence and leadership abilities within the Minnesota locker room (and I suspect he does), the Wild, mentally have moved past the Matt Cooke situation.

Parise, while being interviewed during a morning warm-up today, said all the pc things one would expect "Cooke is big part of our lineup.......unfortunate that things came down this way.... " etc, etc, etc....

But the BIG thing he said which gave me some relief was that "...we don't have time to worry about that situation, we have guys who are focused and are playing for a win"...I did paraphrase some of that, but that was basically the gist.

Coach Mike Yeo, interviewed during that same morning warm up, pretty much echoed those sentiments.

It's all talk of course, and the real proof will be in the playing tonight.

I'd still like to see an aggressive Wild team take it to the 'Lanche like they had in Game 1 and in Game 3.....again, no apologies on the ice for their hard play....and leave the Matt Cooke situation where it belongs: behind the scenes and in the league offices.

That still doesn't erase the fact that certain other players on the Avs may seek retribution, and when asked about that possibility, both Coach Yeo and Zach Parise basically said the same thing: that they will deal with that when and if it comes to pass. And that, again, they are more concerned about skating away with a win and they hope Coach Roy and his Avs are thinking the same.

We will see.

Word out of that same warm up is that Nino Niederreiter may be moved onto Cooke's spot on the 3rd line and Kyle Brodziak, who did not play in Game 3, will man the 4th line center position along with Cody McCormick on wing (who may be needed should a guy like McCleod or Bordeleaux on the Avs decide to go body hunting), with Dany Heatley being on that 4th line wing as well.

Also, FWIW, there is this from Matt Cooke himself:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=28783&navid=nhl:topheads

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I just hope that the Avs and Wild can play a heated yet clean series the rest of the way and that we won't see any 'payback' type plays that will result in MORE serious injuries for either side.

I agree with most you wrote. While the wild will miss Cookes hitting (aside from the Barrie hit- as he leads the team in hits by a mile), I don't think its a factor. In fact, it may be a positive for Minny as they don't have to worry about the jackass running around the ice. 

Regarding retribution, while certainly a Roy type of action, its far from a Sakic kind of action and the Avs are Sakics team. I think it will be a hard, tight, clean games here on out. If the Avs get the next one, its done for Minny. I can't see them winning 3 in a row after that. 

"Cooke is big part of our lineup.......unfortunate that things came down this way.... " etc, etc, etc....

Translation "Um, thank god I don't have to worry about that douche bag anymore. Its a tight series and we will be ready to go tonight"

That still doesn't erase the fact that certain other players on the Avs may seek retribution, and when asked about that possibility,

I don't see it happening. This is not like the Lemieux shenanigans of the 90's where there was not suspensions. Cooke is out. Now had cooke gotten a flyer and was in the lineup, that would be a whole other story.  

Did anyone hear this asshats apology yesterday? He sounded like a drunk driver who just mowed down some more school kids after getting out of jail for doing it.. "I've changed, I don't do that anymore...I didn't mean to hurt him I was just finishing my check" Who finishes their check leading with a knee?

And yet again, I can't believe he only got 7 games.

Did anyone hear this asshats apology yesterday? He sounded like a drunk driver who just mowed down some more school kids after getting out of jail for doing it.. "I've changed, I don't do that anymore...I didn't mean to hurt him I was just finishing my check" Who finishes their check leading with a knee?

And yet again, I can't believe he only got 7 games.

Seven playoff games though hurts a lot more. Figure it could be next season till he skates again.