Bertuzzi/Moore trial date finally nears

yave1964

@Polaris922

I have been appalled by the lack of empathy in here for Moore.  Also amazed at the arguments that Moore's lifetime earning potential is/should be the end all be all for how much he should make.

Lets say you are a factory worker, making 30 grand a year and get run over by a rich guy who is driving drunk. You survive but with a broken neck and your ability to work at your previous profession permanently impaired. Because you were Joe working guy does that mean that this rich guy should not have to pay through the nose? Cmon.

The other factor is Bertuzzi was told by his employer, Crawford representing management to go after Moore. The culpability of Crawford and the Canucks absolutely cannot be overlooked. This is so repulsive I do not even have an analogy that works. Essentially at the behest of the Canucks and Crawford, Bertuzzi's employer he went after Moore and the result of the incident was a broken neck.

An argument by the haters in here is guys like McSorley committed heinous acts that were much worse, which is absurd. It is not only the act but the result or end game that matter. You as a member of law enforcement can certainly understand it. There is a huge, huge difference between drinking and driving and drinking and driving and hitting someone with your car. There are degrees. The result of McSorley's attack upon Brashear was horrible, he was suspended and never played again, persona non grata in the NHL. What Bertuzzi did was worse based upon the consequence and he received a 20 game suspension.

This could have and should have been settled long ago. Joe brought up the leagues hands were tied based upon the CBA and to that I say Bull. This incident was unique within the sport, rather than hardball the injured player and give a lowball offer they should have simply paid him and been done instead of smearing and besmirching his character. The league, Bettman, Burke, Crawford, and Bertuzzi will get what they deserve. It has been forever ago that this happened and finally the check has to be paid. I hope Moore gets not only paid but his side out for the world to hear how poorly he has been treated by the sport that he gave so much to.

For the record there are several teams of doctors that support Moore'sside of the medical damages including the hospital that saw him, the hospitals follow up trauma team, Moore's doctors, and BOTH insurance companies the NHL uses for comp claims. I've covered this before. The NHL asking to see yet another set if doctors is the NHL playing the game, not Moore avoiding it. Of course he won't see them. I wouldn't either. Only a fool would.

The quality of life is the issue. Again... What price do you put on the ability to catch baseball with your kid? Ride a roller coaster with them? Watch fireworks? Walk all day through Disney World? All things severe vertigo does away with. How much is that worth?

None of us... Here, the Av's, the NHL... Nobody knows how much Moore could have earned. Tyler Kennedy got $2,000,000 to be a scratch. Engelland just got $2,900,000 a year to do what again? Guys are getting $5,000,000 a year to be role players. Moore was a role player. Who knows what some lunatic GM would've paid him somewhere along the way?

Like it or not his twam's comments about being equal to Salic or Forsberg can be interpreted to mean he's in the big leagues now playing for a Stanley Cup. Which he was. I don't see him saying he was their equal in talent, just that he skated with them for it all, which he did. Funny how perspective can change the meaning.

Simply put, Moore deserves Bertuzzi's money more than Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi will retire and be wealthy regardless. Moore will be handicapped the rest of his life. However slight you may think that's worth.

A couple things here. My 45+ years of watching hockey tells me Moore was nothing more than what he was. An AHL player that got called up occasionally. Once he would have lost his exempt status he'd have found himself in the AHL or unemployed. See Ken Germander.

Edited by hf101
removed content

For the record there are several teams of doctors that support Moore'sside of the medical damages including the hospital that saw him, the hospitals follow up trauma team, Moore's doctors, and BOTH insurance companies the NHL uses for comp claims. I've covered this before. The NHL asking to see yet another set if doctors is the NHL playing the game, not Moore avoiding it. Of course he won't see them. I wouldn't either. Only a fool would.

The quality of life is the issue. Again... What price do you put on the ability to catch baseball with your kid? Ride a roller coaster with them? Watch fireworks? Walk all day through Disney World? All things severe vertigo does away with. How much is that worth?

None of us... Here, the Av's, the NHL... Nobody knows how much Moore could have earned. Tyler Kennedy got $2,000,000 to be a scratch. Engelland just got $2,900,000 a year to do what again? Guys are getting $5,000,000 a year to be role players. Moore was a role player. Who knows what some lunatic GM would've paid him somewhere along the way?

Like it or not his twam's comments about being equal to Salic or Forsberg can be interpreted to mean he's in the big leagues now playing for a Stanley Cup. Which he was. I don't see him saying he was their equal in talent, just that he skated with them for it all, which he did. Funny how perspective can change the meaning.

Simply put, Moore deserves Bertuzzi's money more than Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi will retire and be wealthy regardless. Moore will be handicapped the rest of his life. However slight you may think that's worth.

Must add levity to situation!

greddyjerkit.gif

There haha.

We can go on all day about the doctors. One side wanted him to see other doctors than his handpicked ones, the other wanted to avoid them. You can say it is the NHL playing the game, and I will say it is Moore playing the game.

The comments regarding being equal to Sakic/Forsberg were just that. The line read at the time like this....

"Despite the star studded lineup of Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne, Kariya, etc etc, Moore worked his way up to top line icetime". Which is not only a lie(He played a shift or two on the top line in games they were down a goal and the coach was juggling lines to get something going), but he was only there because THOSE GUYS WERE INJURED.

Seriously. Go to older Colorado forums and look at 2003/04 posts. Moore was called up 4 times and sent back down 4 times(And nobody cared to claim him from waivers for free) because he was their 4th choice as a call up. Even the call up's were getting injured. The amount of injuries hitting Colorado at the time was absurd. Every time you saw a headline "Moore recalled from hershey" the fans exploded with "OMG, who is injured now????"

So yeah, we can hypothesize that a crazy GM might have enentually given him a stupid contract, or we can look at reality and say his skating(His skating was at best, Doug Murray level) would not have been great in the post lockout NHL. Dominik Moore was a better player at all aspects than his brother. Bigger, faster, better skillset, better skating, hands, everything and still only a roleplayer. And in all that time, he has made 8 million dollars. And he was well ahead of Steve in all respects.

In any case, we will see soon enough. That's my opinion. You have yours and ill respect that it is your opinion.

The only real nitpick I had lately is the "Pain and suffering + Punitive" nonsense and how people think it will be where a lot of money comes from. Canada has a cap on both. Regarding pain and suffering/quality of life and punitive money he might get, it is capped in Canada. He cannot get more than a Million in punitive and 350k in Pain and suffering. So $1350000. The rest will be whatever case he makes for lost income until he is 65.

In the USA, yes he could break the bank on those fronts. That is why he fought kicking and screaming to keep it in the states, while Bertuzzi's side tried to get it tossed to Canada and won.

Edited by hf101
removed comment in quote

Posted · Hidden by hf101, July 6, 2014 - too tough to edit
Hidden by hf101, July 6, 2014 - too tough to edit

A couple things here. My 45+ years of watching hockey tells me Moore was nothing more than what he was. An AHL player that got called up occasionally. Once he would have lost his exempt status he'd have found himself in the AHL or unemployed. See Ken Germander.

Secondly when you call someone ignorant without any F-ing idea what their background and education is that makes you sound like an arrogant pompous A-hole. Great thing is I'm allowed my opinion and you have a choice, act like an adult and debate or skip the thread altogether.

Man it pisses me off when people make assumptions without one ounce of knowledge of the guy on the other side of the computer. The makes them computer tough guys.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

You can watch hockey 50 years it doesn't mean you can see into the future. You can't predict what a Holmgren will pay. So Moore most likely wouldn't have been all star material. Doesn't mean he wouldn't make millions. And in suing someone you sue for potential income as well so how do you predict that?

Saying you're ignorant to the issues at hand was plenty fair, as you showed no empathy for the life impact of his injuries. None. That shows a lack of knowledge or experience with such injuries and there's no insult in not understanding such things. You can hate a guy and still empathize with their injury. (see Chris Pronger)

You'd be correct if I called you stupid or otherwise insulted you on a personal level. Stating you're showing your ignorance to the impact of injuries was factual commentary. It was evident in your disregard for that factor in the lawsuit.

You got all butthurt about it and that's fine. Apparently because you have the wrong definition for the word in your head. Throw your computer tough guy comments and whatever else out there, that's fine too if it makes you feel better. Compared to a lot of comments made here that's nothing.

The point is you're wrong on the value of the man's quality if life. Being unable to dispute that, it's easier to locker room the debate. Moore already won this when Bertuzzi plead guilty. It's just a question of how much. If Canada's system restricts him to 3 or 5 million then the whole system is a joke. He could've made that in three years at league minimums.

Must add levity to situation!

greddyjerkit.gif

There haha.

We can go on all day about the doctors. One side wanted him to see other doctors than his handpicked ones, the other wanted to avoid them. You can say it is the NHL playing the game, and I will say it is Moore playing the game.

The comments regarding being equal to Sakic/Forsberg were just that. The line read at the time like this....

"Despite the star studded lineup of Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne, Kariya, etc etc, Moore worked his way up to top line icetime". Which is not only a lie(He played a shift or two on the top line in games they were down a goal and the coach was juggling lines to get something going), but he was only there because THOSE GUYS WERE INJURED.

Seriously. Go to older Colorado forums and look at 2003/04 posts. Moore was called up 4 times and sent back down 4 times(And nobody cared to claim him from waivers for free) because he was their 4th choice as a call up. Even the call up's were getting injured. The amount of injuries hitting Colorado at the time was absurd. Every time you saw a headline "Moore recalled from hershey" the fans exploded with "OMG, who is injured now????"

So yeah, we can hypothesize that a crazy GM might have enentually given him a stupid contract, or we can look at reality and say his skating(His skating was at best, Doug Murray level) would not have been great in the post lockout NHL. Dominik Moore was a better player at all aspects than his brother. Bigger, faster, better skillset, better skating, hands, everything and still only a roleplayer. And in all that time, he has made 8 million dollars. And he was well ahead of Steve in all respects.

In any case, we will see soon enough. That's my opinion. You have yours and ill respect that it is your opinion.

The only real nitpick I had lately is the "Pain and suffering + Punitive" nonsense and how people think it will be where a lot of money comes from. Canada has a cap on both. Regarding pain and suffering/quality of life and punitive money he might get, it is capped in Canada. He cannot get more than a Million in punitive and 350k in Pain and suffering. So $1350000. The rest will be whatever case he makes for lost income until he is 65.

In the USA, yes he could break the bank on those fronts. That is why he fought kicking and screaming to keep it in the states, while Bertuzzi's side tried to get it tossed to Canada and won.

The point you keep avoiding though is two medical teams at the hospital and two review boards at the insurance companies AGREE with Moore's doctors. So it's not like its just his boys saying something and that's that.

Also, my understanding of the cap after reading is lifelong injuries can vastly impact the monetary cap. Though that may fall in other than punitive damages. Guess we'll see.

@yave1964 is 100% right. The NHL should've given Moore a reasonable offer and none of this would even be thought about today. Instead we have a blemish on the NHL in a lawsuit they cannot win.

@Polaris922

I have been appalled by the lack of empathy in here for Moore.  Also amazed at the arguments that Moore's lifetime earning potential is/should be the end all be all for how much he should make.

Lets say you are a factory worker, making 30 grand a year and get run over by a rich guy who is driving drunk. You survive but with a broken neck and your ability to work at your previous profession permanently impaired. Because you were Joe working guy does that mean that this rich guy should not have to pay through the nose? Cmon.

The other factor is Bertuzzi was told by his employer, Crawford representing management to go after Moore. The culpability of Crawford and the Canucks absolutely cannot be overlooked. This is so repulsive I do not even have an analogy that works. Essentially at the behest of the Canucks and Crawford, Bertuzzi's employer he went after Moore and the result of the incident was a broken neck.

An argument by the haters in here is guys like McSorley committed heinous acts that were much worse, which is absurd. It is not only the act but the result or end game that matter. You as a member of law enforcement can certainly understand it. There is a huge, huge difference between drinking and driving and drinking and driving and hitting someone with your car. There are degrees. The result of McSorley's attack upon Brashear was horrible, he was suspended and never played again, persona non grata in the NHL. What Bertuzzi did was worse based upon the consequence and he received a 20 game suspension.

This could have and should have been settled long ago. Joe brought up the leagues hands were tied based upon the CBA and to that I say Bull. This incident was unique within the sport, rather than hardball the injured player and give a lowball offer they should have simply paid him and been done instead of smearing and besmirching his character. The league, Bettman, Burke, Crawford, and Bertuzzi will get what they deserve. It has been forever ago that this happened and finally the check has to be paid. I hope Moore gets not only paid but his side out for the world to hear how poorly he has been treated by the sport that he gave so much to.

I've been on the "he is playing it up to get paid" train since forever man. I do not believe he is as hurt as he says he is, nor do a lot of people.

Rather than post what most would consider "outlandish claims of inside information" because I have spoken to some of his former teammates, I just leave it at "I think he is playing it up". But on the surface, his former team and teammates have all but abandoned him in this endevor. Consider that. And it is not because they are all arseholes sticking together with the league and NHLPA either. It is because they know him.

The NHLPA and the NHL itself are usually against each other in most issues. That is why we have had 2 lockouts. But for some reason, neither is jumping to defend him.

You can watch hockey 50 years it doesn't mean you can see into the future. You can't predict what a Holmgren will pay. So Moore most likely wouldn't have been all star material. Doesn't mean he wouldn't make millions. And in suing someone you sue for potential income as well so how do you predict that?

you showed no empathy for the life impact of his injuries. None. You can hate a guy and still empathize with their injury. (see Chris Pronger)

You can't just disregard that.

The point is you're wrong on the value of the man's quality if life. Being unable to dispute that, it's easier to locker room the debate. Moore already won this when Bertuzzi plead guilty. It's just a question of how much. If Canada's system restricts him to 3 or 5 million then the whole system is a joke. He could've made that in three years at league minimums.

Saying you're ignorant to the issues at hand was plenty fair, as you showed no empathy for the life impact of his injuries. None. That shows a lack of knowledge or experience with such injuries and there's no insult in not understanding such things. You can hate a guy and still empathize with their injury. (see Chris Pronger)

You'd be correct if I called you stupid or otherwise insulted you on a personal level. Stating you're showing your ignorance to the impact of injuries was factual commentary. It was evident in your disregard for that factor in the lawsuit.

You got all butthurt about it and that's fine. Apparently because you have the wrong definition for the word in your head. Throw your computer tough guy comments and whatever else out there, that's fine too if it makes you feel better. Compared to a lot of comments made here that's nothing.

My math is a bit off, but league minimum is like $600k. So it would be more like 9 years at league minimum.

And in any case, the system will require him to prove lost earnings, while the other side will call upon GM's and the business side to show why e was a marginal NHL player who likely stays in the AHL to lower the settlement.

The cap limit is specifically for "Pain and suffering" damages and punitive damages, and limits it to $1350000. He could still make bank if he convinced the judge he would have made 60 million in salaries. If. Like I said, he will need to have experts in the field(GM's/Agents) backing him up. Should be an ugly show.

You can call it a joke all you want, but the bigger joke is the system that let's a woman sue McDonald's for 3 million dollars and win because she did not know hot coffee could burn her if she tried to open it in the car to add condiments. Our cap is what prevents such lawsuits.

The point you keep avoiding though is two medical teams at the hospital and two review boards at the insurance companies AGREE with Moore's doctors. So it's not like its just his boys saying something and that's that.

Also, my understanding of the cap after reading is lifelong injuries can vastly impact the monetary cap. Though that may fall in other than punitive damages. Guess we'll see.

@yave1964 is 100% right. The NHL should've given Moore a reasonable offer and none of this would even be thought about today. Instead we have a blemish on the NHL in a lawsuit they cannot win.

Show me these recent hospital and medical teams in the last 5 years that are not his personal "Experts" on the stand?

you showed no empathy for the life impact of his injuries. None. You can hate a guy and still empathize with their injury. (see Chris Pronger)
You can't just disregard that.

EVERYTHING you have noted is your opinion!!!!! Yet anyone else that has an opinion is ignorant? So that's how it works? Your opinion is correct and everyone has no opinion. MY OPINION says Simon, McSorley, Hunter and Richard did things far worse than Bertuzzi but lucky the results were different. But F it my opinion doesn't matter.

How much money did Cam Neely lose at the knee of Ulf Samuelsson?

Edited by hf101
Removed Personal Comment

My math is a bit off, but league minimum is like $600k. So it would be more like 9 years at league minimum.

And in any case, the system will require him to prove lost earnings, while the other side will call upon GM's and the business side to show why e was a marginal NHL player who likely stays in the AHL to lower the settlement.

The cap limit is specifically for "Pain and suffering" damages and punitive damages, and limits it to $1350000. He could still make bank if he convinced the judge he would have made 60 million in salaries. If. Like I said, he will need to have experts in the field(GM's/Agents) backing him up. Should be an ugly show.

You can call it a joke all you want, but the bigger joke is the system that let's a woman sue McDonald's for 3 million dollars and win because she did not know hot coffee could burn her if she tried to open it in the car to add condiments. Our cap is what prevents such lawsuits.

Show me these recent hospital and medical teams in the last 5 years that are not his personal "Experts" on the stand?

His legal team is looking to take in at least 50% of the take. So as much as I'd like to say they're helping poor ole 3rd line AHL player Moore they're looking to line their pockets. Hence the ridiculous 68m demand.

His legal team is looking to take in at least 50% of the take. So as much as I'd like to say they're helping poor ole 3rd line AHL player Moore they're looking to line their pockets. Hence the ridiculous 68m demand.

They are doing this pro-Bono? Where did you read that?

P.S Simmer down my good man. I know this is a touchy subject but we all need to take a step back, breathe, and remember we are all just hockey fans.

Like others have said, it is a polarizing subject.

I know when i get into debate/Crossfire mode, I can come on a little strong and I apologize if I go over a bit. I expect the same haha, but I want to keep it in the realms of Hockey trash talk and not get personal.

They are doing this pro-Bono? Where did you read that?

P.S Simmer down my good man. I know this is a touchy subject but we all need to take a step back, breathe, and remember we are all just hockey fans.

Like others have said, it is a polarizing subject.

I know when i get into debate/Crossfire mode, I can come on a little strong and I apologize if I go over a bit. I expect the same haha, but I want to keep it in the realms of Hockey trash talk and not get personal.

When someone calls me ignorant because his opinion is different than mine! It don't take that lightly. Yes I know I'm the new guy here and I should just take the crap and say "yes sir two bags full"

EVERYTHING you have noted is your opinion!!!!! Yet anyone else that has an opinion is ignorant? So that's how it works? Your opinion is correct and everyone has no opinion. MY OPINION says Simon, McSorley, Hunter and Richard did things far worse than Bertuzzi but lucky the results were different. But F it my opinion doesn't matter.

How much money did Cam Neely lose at the knee of Ulf Samuelsson?

Please get over yourself! We have opinions no matter how insignificant they might be in your view!

Someone having life changing injuries is an opinion? Have you ever known someone who can't do those things because of an injury or illness? I assure you it's not an opinion. If he truly has the issues the doctors (his and others) say he has, there is no opinion to it. My wife has these same health limitations. Has since she was 24. I see first hand the emotional and psychological toll such limitations take on a person. Especially raising children and not being able to participate in so many things. THAT is why I can say how it hampers a person without it being opinion. It's something you haven't had to experience. I get that. I hope you never do. But it doesn't minimize the impact on Moore's life that is the direct result of a criminal assault by Bertuzzi.

You can lump the Simon and McSorley hits in there too. I'm all for it.

Enough with the butthurt. I can't help it you were unaware of the true definition of a word and took it personally. But if every single comment you make is going to be aggressive, it only reflects poorly on you.

Someone having life changing injuries is an opinion? Have you ever known someone who can't do those things because of an injury or illness? I assure you it's not an opinion. If he truly has the issues the doctors (his and others) say he has, there is no opinion to it. My wife has these same health limitations. Has since she was 24. I see first hand the emotional and psychological toll such limitations take on a person. Especially raising children and not being able to participate in so many things. THAT is why I can say how it hampers a person without it being opinion. It's something you haven't had to experience. I get that. I hope you never do. But it doesn't minimize the impact on Moore's life that is the direct result of a criminal assault by Bertuzzi.

Enough with the butthurt. I can't help it you were unaware of the true definition of a word and took it personally. But if every single comment you make is going to be aggressive, it only reflects poorly on you.

Have YOU seen the actually documents? Until you post them you're a talking point for Moore and it's an opinion.

I took it personally because you made an assumption of SOMEONE you have never met! That my friend is at the very least disingenuous at best.

Most 3rd and 4th liners sit around a million per year so that's what my post was based upon as minimums, sorry. Should've said bottom six averages.

I agree the McDonalds rulings and such are a joke. But also think having a lifelong injury as a 25 year old or whatever he was at the time deserves more than that cap allows for. Again look at all he may very well miss out on. How much is being able to participate in activities with your children worth to you?

And again... The hospital emergency room medical team, the hospital trauma team that did his follow ups, yes his own doctors, the medical review boards for BOTH NHL insurance companies... That's 5 different groups of professionals that agreed with the extent of his injuries.

The argument that just his doctors reviewed him was actually soundly rebutted in several of the articles written on his lawsuit.

Don't worry about Old School. He took my use of the word "ignorance" as it's often misconstrued to mean rude or stupid instead of just unaware as I'd intended. Let him be angry with me.

I took it personally because you made an assumption of SOMEONE you have never met! That my friend is at the very least disingenuous at best.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it was no assumption. Your comments show a lack of empathy for the injuries involved, which display a lack of experience with them. There was no insult meant or stated in the use of the word. I am ignorant to the mechanics of a motorcycle or nuclear aircraft carriers. It's not an insult, I just don't know about how they work.

As for documents the medical reports on Moore are available in google searches and the lawsuit itself. I read them when we went over this all the first time like many others here did. I was trying to avoid all this BS again but got drawn into it anyway.

Edited by Polaris922

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it was no assumption. Your comments show a lack of empathy for the injuries involved, which display a lack of experience with them. There was no insult meant or stated in the use of the word. I am ignorant to the mechanics of a motorcycle or nuclear aircraft carriers. It's not an insult, I just don't know about how they work.

Empathy does not equal truth. Empathy is just empathy!

BTW in my years of watching and playing I can make a pretty good determination of a 3rd line AHL player. 12 points in 69 NHL games and zero playoffs games. As I noted earlier see Ken Germander.

Empathy does not equal truth. Empathy is just empathy!

BTW in my years of watching and playing I can make a pretty good determination of a 3rd line AHL player. 12 points in 69 NHL games and zero playoffs games. As I noted earlier see Ken Germander.

The truth is in the injuries and life impact they have.

I've played and watched a long time too man, but assessment of talent remains opinion. And they sue for earnings POTENTIAL, which none of us can quantify by saying what he'd become. Some skaters are written off then bloom after everyone gives up on them. There's just no way if knowing what will be. If there were drafting would be much easier.

@Old School Hockey

Bertuzzi pled guilty to assault. Period. Guilt is no longer the issue, damages are. Crawford, Burke and the Canucks all settled with Bert agreeing to pay an unspecified amount of the settlement. This is a walk.

Hey, Polaris is a great guy, one of my favorite posters in here. I think everyone needs to simply back away from the ledge and take a deep breath and bash on Kenny Holland. That is what I do when I get too worked up and it seems to help.

But what happens when there are differing opinions about what is opinion vs what is fact? Therein lies the rub.

Not necessarily, the person with the facts can reference them.   ;)