This summers goalie market

Here is an article from NBC Sports' Pro Hockey Talk, dated from yesterday on possible destinations for Ryan Miller out of the open market:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/19/five-options-for-ryan-miller-now-that-st-louis-isnt-one/

A bit interesting, if not overly stimulating read.

The writer pretty much points out some of the more obvious and widespread speculations that have been going around (Miller to either SJ, Ana, or Vancouver for instance), while pointing some other landing spots that seem VERY unlikely (Pittsburgh and Minnesota for example).

I said at this past year's trading deadline that I thought the Washington Capitals could be a landing spot for Miller.

Sure, it doesn't play into the whole "wants to play closer to his wife" scenario, however, the Caps DO need a backstop, and that backstop needs to be able to withstand lots of incoming shots and stand on his head nightly, as the Caps don't play much in the way of defense.

A motivated Miller COULD do those things and I suspect, even with the Caps' overall problems, as long as Alex Ovechkin is on the roster making the kind of money he is and attracting attention league wide like he does every year, that the Caps will continue to find ways to keep the team competitive.

Not sure if they can achieve true Stanley Cup contender status doing things the way they have the last few years, but the thinking there seems to be "win now", and having Miller as their goalie could go a long way for a team that, despite their lack of defensive smarts, still find ways to score goals.

Miller was so accustomed to a Buffalo team that lacked offensive talent once guys like Vanek, Briere, and Pominville left that he may very well welcome a team that not only would hand him the crown to the goalie throne immediately, but can provide some goal support for him even when he does have off nights.

And notice I said a "motivated" Miller.

I say that because, while I never followed Buffalo Sabres games on a nightly basis, I did see enough of them over the last couple seasons to see that if the team plays uninspired hockey in front of him, he seems to 'fall asleep' in goal or at the very least, play like he isn't all that interested in the game.

With Washington usually being a good scoring team, yet giving up tons of SOG, it may suit him just fine to know that not only will the team score, but he will see enough action in net so as to not get bored.

My opinion on all that anyways.

I really hope that the article writer's "Minnesota" as a landing spot doesn't come to pass.

Why?

Well, while I do think many teams could benefit from the former Sabre's services, I'd still like to see Darcy Kuemper given the starter's job right from day 1 in St. Paul.

He has proven that he has made enough strides as a pro that he should be considered for the starter's role, even over a guy like Nik Backstrom, before the team thinks about bringing in an expensive FA goaltender.

The only thing really that has derailed Kuemper this past season were the concussion issues.

Granted, those ARE big deals, but unless doctors say he can never play again, I don't see why a young promising goalie like Kuemper can't be considered a valid option.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

And speaking of teams that need a goalie that can stand on their heads, I wonder if a team like Ottawa would consider trading Craig Anderson for some mid level prospects or draft picks (he has only one year left on his contract) and perhaps sign an available goaltender like Ryan Miller or a Jonas Hiller?

Ottawa does have the cap room and they are a team that, quite frankly, I believe UNDER performed offensively last season.

Defensively, Ottawa was never really considered elite, but at their best, could score with just about anybody.

When you have guys like Bobby Ryan, Kyle Turris, Milan Michalek, Jason Spezza and defenseman like Erik Karlsson and Jared Cowen who are somewhat offensive oriented, you expect the team to score more than they did this past season.

And much like a team like the Caps, the Sens would rely on a goalie that can withstand lots of SOG due to the way they play.

Craig Anderson has been good in that regard for them, however, some inconsistencies in his game coupled with with his soon-to-expire contract and some nagging injuries could make the Sens re-consider their options in goal.

Maybe a Jonas Hiller, Ryan Miller, or dare I say, an Ilya Bryzgalov be a fit in Ottawa?

Nah...scratch Bryz...lol..as some on this site have pointed out, he thrives better on a team that is well structured defensively....Sens aren't that, I'm afraid.

Rad, I know you hear "Blame the goalie" a lot, but watching the games was a different matter than reading the scores. Yes the Sharks had trouble responding in the last 3 games when a goal was let in, but other than the OT win and a couple of saves in game 7(his one shinning moment was OT game 3), Niemi let in some pitiful backbreaking, confidence ruining goals. I am talking Mcsofties, and never came up with a big save to give anyone confidence. Every time he left the net to handle the puck, I could see players trying to cross their fingers with their gloves on because he is HORRIBLE at puck handling, and often just gave the puck to an LA player.

Did I have some words for the coach and GM and players too? Hell yes. But I watch a decent amount of Sharks games and I was far more comfortable with Stalock. In fact, Stalock made a bunch of huge saves in the game he played before the implosion due to the goal that should have been waived off.

Take it from a guy who watched Niemi play a lot and usually berates players before the goalie.

Look, I completely understand this.

But, the point that the same forwards continually come up short remains valid.

It's easy to blame one guy. But there are three of the top 20 scorers in the game today that have failed in the clutch.

Change the goalie. Change the coach.

And they're still there.

I don't see where Niemi was "the problem" in San Jose.

Same here, he was not great by any stretch of the imagination, but to blame him is wrong. Having said that...I had no idea he is about to turn 31. I thought he was in his mid 20's. That changes things a bit. Despite being a top 10 goalie entering the season (based on stats), there is not any upside there...what you see is what you get at his age. He has won a Cup, so the super valuable "knows how to win" part of the equation is there. Factoring in his age, I suppose the Sharks might be inclined to move in a different direction, but I still contend that loss was a team loss, not a goalie nightmare.

Bernier......Pffft.

Every year at work, Toronto fans come in naming the new goalie "The messiah". Reimer is going to win us the cup!! This year it is Bernier. Hehe. maybe we will end up trading them Niemi for a pick.

Toronto has the incredible ability to have a goalie either look better or worse than he actually is lol. Poor Toskala.......I felt so bad for him when we traded him to Toronto. But thanks for the Logan Couture pick for him and taking Bell's contract off our hands!

Well you have to think the Leafs will get it right eventually, even if it's in spite of themselves. :P

To be fair to Bernier, the guy had a phenomenal season, posting excellent stats despite being the goalie of the team with the WORST SHOTS AGAINST TOTAL IN LEAGUE HISTORY. Yes, I'm a bit bitter.

I'm usually not one to anoint a "messiah" (Leaf speak for future scapegoat), but credit where credit is due. It's no coincidence that the second Bernier went down the Leafs crumbled into dust. Reimer couldn't hold it together this time around.

If teams had individual Hart trophies, Bernier would take Toronto's easily.

Of course, that's the equivalent of being the best looking girl at a Star Trek convention. Sure, you won, but you didn't have any competition. Also, people keep looking at you funny...

I imagine, given Reimer and Carlyle's little standoff this past season and Carlyle's totally deserved and in no way mind-boggling extension (LOL), that James will be moved and the Leafs will be a participant in the goalie market this offseason.

Edited by Commander Clueless

@J0e Th0rnton

I give you that I did not watch every Shark game throughout the year, but I had Niemi on my fantasy team and enjoyed his wins and overall above average stats. His Wins made him an above average goalie. For much of the second half I had Stalock also, because after Sochi Stalock played a considerable amount of time.

I think that the Sharks road Niemi too hard during the first half of the season. Stalock hardly touched the ice early in the year.

I think in the second half, because Stalock was the hot hand Niemi was used less and got out of his rhythm.

I see a lot of Shark fans abandoning ship on him, I am not saying he had a great year but he was above average, if not tremendously so. He probably did not live up to his high salary but he was not awful either. In my opinion he was not the solution nor the problem. I feel the same way going forward.

@J0e Th0rnton

I give you that I did not watch every Shark game throughout the year, but I had Niemi on my fantasy team and enjoyed his wins and overall above average stats. His Wins made him an above average goalie. For much of the second half I had Stalock also, because after Sochi Stalock played a considerable amount of time.

I think that the Sharks road Niemi too hard during the first half of the season. Stalock hardly touched the ice early in the year.

I think in the second half, because Stalock was the hot hand Niemi was used less and got out of his rhythm.

I see a lot of Shark fans abandoning ship on him, I am not saying he had a great year but he was above average, if not tremendously so. He probably did not live up to his high salary but he was not awful either. In my opinion he was not the solution nor the problem. I feel the same way going forward.

Well Yave, I don't know what to tell you. I have never been confident in him this season in any game. The point most often brought up against a lot of Sharks are their points in the regular season vs Playoffs and it is no different for Niemi. I am not a big "Stats are all" guy, but with Niemi, I have yet to see him making those incredible saves and hot hand that I see in other cup winning goaltenders. Once in awhile, he makes a big one, but more often, you just say "What???. How did you let that go in??". And his puck handling skills are abysmal. Like, browning shorts every time he leaves the net to grab a puck. It's almost like he comes out to play the puck because he thinks goaltenders have to, but has no hockey sense or idea where to put it. I have seen him pass the puck to the opposing players one too many times, and even funnier, when a shark is coming to retrieve the puck, he throws it away from him like a hot potato(I am convinced he forgot he was on the same team when it happens).

He loses track of the puck in traffic more than I remember any goalie doing too. It is often behind him before he knows it. And you know that feeling of dread you get when a 2 on 1 is happening against you? Niemi almost never makes the big save on those. Hey, a 2 on 1 is not his fault, but he rarely comes up big like other goalies. His lateral movement on cross ice passes is bad.

Grrrrrrr.

He was the Shark who made me yell at the TV the most this playoff.

Of course, that's the equivalent of being the best looking girl at a Star Trek convention. Sure, you won, but you didn't have any competition. Also, people keep looking at you funny...

Any truth to the rumor that Lieutenant Uhura has a penis shaped phaser?

@Commander Clueless  I think Emery can be useful to a team as primary back up, I just hope that team is not the Flyers. It's time for us to move on. He did get one win in the playoffs for us, but sandwiched in between that win was 2 loses to the Rangers. At least one of the Ranger loses was brutal. There are better goalies available for cheap trade or UFA...and I expect the Flyers to head in that direction.