CBS, Isles using 14 pick and giving Sabres their 2015

Buffalo Rick

This is really a no-brainier for the Isles. You don't give away a guaranteed top 5 pick. I'm sure they are thinking that the signing of Halak will assure their 2015 pick is middle of the pack. They do have a decent up and coming team, so this does seem to make sense.

What a conundrum.  Give up a top 5 pick which should get you a good NHLer (of course this is Garth Snow so it may not) or give up a potential lottery pick in a draft with McDavid, Eichel and Hanifan. Nice work Garth. And your return was a rental. One of the 27 reasons this guy should be fired.

What a conundrum.  Give up a top 5 pick which should get you a good NHLer (of course this is Garth Snow so it may not) or give up a potential lottery pick in a draft with McDavid, Eichel and Hanifan. Nice work Garth. And your return was a rental. One of the 27 reasons this guy should be fired.

I dunno man, I kinda agree with Jammer. Tavares will be healthy all season, and Halak is a definite improvement in net.

De Haan showed improvement, and likely will continue to do so. Brock Nelson scored 14 goals in his rookie year and will continue to get better. In fact, a few of their younger players showed promise.

I suspect they will be better next year than this year. Do I think they will make the playoffs? Not likely, but I do not think they will be a lottery team.

I dunno man, I kinda agree with Jammer. Tavares will be healthy all season, and Halak is a definite improvement in net.

De Haan showed improvement, and likely will continue to do so. Brock Nelson scored 14 goals in his rookie year and will continue to get better. In fact, a few of their younger players showed promise.

I suspect they will be better next year than this year. Do I think they will make the playoffs? Not likely, but I do not think they will be a lottery team.

My point is Snow made a trade that cost his team a first round pick (and his best players friend and winger) for a rental. The whole hockey world knew Vanek was leaving Buffalo for Minnesota. Snow thought he might rather join the circus on Long Island?

And if the Isles miss the playoffs, it IS a lottery pick.

So they go to Brooklyn now right?  Why don't they hire Darcy again.  They can not do bad in hiring him.  Had they kept him they would have been better.  Crash and burn with your 2014 pick you stinking fools

• 5 months later...

Hey, it's still early, but there is a good chance that Snow made the right move here. A decent chance they will be a playoff team or be in the running till the last month kinda thing.

It's still way too early. They're a two game losing streak combined with a couple game winning streak from others, at picking 5th overall in a great draft.

I DO think they are a better team this year...especially if Tavares stays healthy.

@flyercanuck  I like the Isles offense and their defense looks improved also. Big problem rearing it's ugly head....Halak has been stinky of late....and Chad Johnson has better stats, but has not taken hold of the job as of this week. It's still early, lot's of hockey to be played, but Halak has looked really bad at times. When I predicted the NYI would win the East, I factored in above average goaltending into the equation....and it has just not been there. Something tells me a 3rd option might be necessary if things don't turn around in the crease....I'd give it until early December. That should be more than enough time to see if reinforcements are needed.     

@jammer2

I guess if the goal is to NOT let the Sabres get a good pick, they could trade away another 1st for a veteran player that would make them better this year. But Snow should be looking down the road a couple years, not at now. They aren't ready for primetime, and I'd have fired his arse for that Vanek deal.

@flyercanuck   I think the NYI are closer than a lot of people think They are a true #1 goalie, a true sniper to play with Tavares and Okposo and a stud d-man away from being true cup contenders. I think 2 of those 3 exist as NYI prospects as we speak....namely De Colle at forward and Griffin Rienhart on defense. When those players arrive and then start to legitimately contribute I will consider the Isles *window* officially open. I figure that's 3 years from now.

I agree the Vanek deal was straight up stupid. I do think Snow made some excellent UFA signings this summer.  Adding Kluemin and Grabovski for just over 10 mill was a stroke of genius. Those 2 are exactly what this team needed. I consider Kluemin one of the great underrated players in this league and Grabo is not far behind him. A very respectable haul for 10+ mill....money well spent. Maybe Snow has a smart side to him....never thought I'd type that.

@jammer2

Totally agree on Dal Colle and Reinhart. Strome is just showing the tip of the iceberg. They've also got DeHaan and Pulock on D, Collberg and your man HoSang on the wings. All the more reason Snow should have stood pat last year instead of pulling the trigger on a talented but lazy winger who wasn't ever going to re-sign.

@flyercanuck   The NYI core is gonna be just amazing to watch in the coming years. In 3-4 years, the Flyers young defense against their young forward corps is gonna be a rivalry for the ages!!   I really, really like DeHann's game, he's a keeper. Pulock appears to be an offensive dynamo, will fit in fine. Strome is really interesting also....kid just oozes talent. How do they stack up Dylan Strome in comparison to Ryan?  Is Dylan supposed to better at his age than Ryan was?

Putting aside the greedy puck hog rep that follows him around like a black could....I do think Ho-Sang has undeniable talent. I love his moves, and the real impressive thing is he's not satisfied with 1 or 2 go to moves, he keeps evolving, working on different things. When he really starts to hone his craft, the NHL will be in for a treat!

@jammer2

We only had Ryan here for one season when he was 16 and dealt him for Pietrangelo. You could tell he was going to be good. Not sure which one will end up better...Ryan went 5th overall and I could see Dylan going right around there.

Hosang definately already has an NHL calibre skillset. Whether he ever develops the mindset that he has teammates will either be his rise or fall.

Archived