Flyers Cap Hit Increases for Next Year

IMHO coots is worth way more than Schenn. But Brayden and his agent may be thinking bigger. Based on what? I don't know. Projected potential I guess.

based on 20 non-giroux related goals as a 22 year old.

he's still a WIP but he's off to a pretty good start, i don't think his agent is off base by wanting more $ than Couturier,

Les jeaune fills still dig the singer more than the guitar player even if the band is nothing with out the guitar player.

Coots played like 4 minutes per game more, plays the PK, shuts down the oppositions best lines and had more assists than Schenn while scoring 13 goals compared to Schenn's 20 (on the second line with Simmonds and VLC. Hartnell). 

Coots is significantly more valuable to this team than Schenn.

When you think about all he does, and how much he does it, he's right up there with Simmer and Jake as the most valuable forwards to this team.  Schenn ain't even close to cracking that.  20 goals is nice.  It's a good start.  But if he wants more money than Coots for a lot of untapped potential and 15 minutes per game on a team that already has two centers too many, I think he's barking up the wrong tree in Hextall.

Best play for SChenn is to keep his head down, take what they give him for the shortest duration they're willing to give so you can showcase and score 35 goals the next two seasons, then make the serious bank as a UFA.  Failing that, you're at the whim of wherever they trade you too.

Does Schenn really want the prospect of a slightly better deal to go wallow in Edmonton or Miami or Buffalo?

He's lucky if he keeps his roster spot.

based on 20 non-giroux related goals as a 22 year old.

he's still a WIP but he's off to a pretty good start, i don't think his agent is off base by wanting more $ than Couturier,

Les jeaune fills still dig the singer more than the guitar player even if the band is nothing with out the guitar player.

Can we do better than Grossman?  Yes.

Long story short, Gross ain't going nowhere unless 2 other D men are coming back in.  What do you think the chances are that Hexy can scrape together 2 D men better than Grossman with the cap room he has left at this point?

We already have cap issues now though and it's not like we have a wealth of experienced D men riding the press box pine, just some prospects.

We don't know what's up with Kimmo and even if he stays, he's no longer a #1 guy and everyone has to start admitting that.  Then there's the fact that we just lost Gus to Russia, so we can't even take the stance that they should be playing him instead of Grossman anymore more.

The defense isn't just a problem because it's not good enough, right now it's kinda hemorrhaging.  Ghost and Hagg sound great, but that stew has to simmer a lot longer and we won't see either player in any meaningful way for a year and a half or maybe even 2 years  (and even then knowing this management team -no offense to hexy- they'll probably get traded with some draft picks for a just past his prime Keith or Weber before the 2018 or 19 season, right about when they're ready to be great).

I'm no grossman lover.   I think he's whatever... but reality doesn't suggest any high probability of moving him right now.

Yes Gross has one but he is just allowed to name the teams he is willing to go to or doesn't want to go to. His contract is movable though. Jst conversing with Joe in the Sharks thread page he said he'd take him on the Sharks but you want get a whole lot for him it is close to just a salary dump.

But he could help some teams.

Even the Flyers but after watching the KIngs/Hawks Dcorps put on a clinic last night it proved that GrossmanN can't run and gun like that.

So if the Flyer want to transition to a blueline with wheels like that well he is one of the first that needs to go. Luke is enough slow Dmen for one blueline to handle.

Long story short, Gross ain't going nowhere unless 2 other D men are coming back in.

Why do two Dmen have to come back??? Kimmo is coming soon.

Trade GrossmanN and use the 3.5 you're paying him add another 1 mill and offer it to Stralman instead for a 4 year deal.

Worse case scenario you can find even a cheaper option than GrossmanN if Stralman needs more or won't sign it. GrossmanN is just to slow and needs to go.

I'm not counting on Hagg or Ghost to replace him but i think Alt can yes reshuffle the D pairs and put Alt as the 6th Dman.

Now i'm not saying hand it him but let him earn it then if he ain't ready go out and sign a cheaper 6th option than the 3.5 mill that GrossmanN was making just make sure he can skate.

Hell i'd take Kent Huskins back instead of Gross.....Huskins for his shirt time here looked ok as a 6th guy.

Really?  We know that? 

If TImmo says, okay, I'll come back but I want 5 million, Hextall will have to say, thanks but no thanks boss.

Even then, who will be filling in for injuries?   We'll need a better bubble player unless you want Hal Gill staying in that role?

I'm not saying don't move Grossman, but we know what we're getting in him and I just think you have to have things like Kimmo and Grossman's replacement and a bubble bench warmer in place before you pull the Grossman trigger.

Why do two Dmen have to come back??? Kimmo is coming soon.

Really?  We know that? 

If TImmo says, okay, I'll come back but I want 5 million

Yes pretty much he's coming back and no it's not a given that it will take 5 mill to get it done.

Kimmo may be the last announced signing.

I don't have a crystal ball and i don't get into a lot of speculating it will work itself out Ollie will be 26 this season and Alt will be 23 so they from an age stand point i believe can handle a depth off the bench or 6th Dmen type role.

But they'll have to show the coaches they can do it.

The puck is in their end of the ice.

To maybe variables to the answer and and really at this point it was just be guessing.

I really have no idea what Hexy is doing/thinking.

His main priority in resigning Schenn and then the draft what else he has up his sleeve is anyone's guess.

Hexy is a X goaltender so i'd think if anything he knows the value of having a solid Dcorp in front of the goaltender....just let him work his magic. 

Coots played like 4 minutes per game more, plays the PK, shuts down the oppositions best lines and had more assists than Schenn while scoring 13 goals compared to Schenn's 20 (on the second line with Simmonds and VLC. Hartnell). 

Coots is significantly more valuable to this team than Schenn.
When you think about all he does, and how much he does it, he's right up there with Simmer and Jake as the most valuable forwards to this team.  Schenn ain't even close to cracking that.  20 goals is nice.  It's a good start.  But if he wants more money than Coots for a lot of untapped potential and 15 minutes per game on a team that already has two centers too many,

see all that , /\

that supports my point.   chics dig the long ball even though pitching wins championships.  Defense wins championships, but offense puts asses in the seats.

and that is why Schenn's agent will ask for and likely get a more $ than Couturier.

Schenn had exactly 2 more points than Coots.

His agent really can't make that case and if he does Hextall will hit him with everything else.

Chicks may dig the long ball, but when you're an RFA and you don't have a long ball it doesn't really matter.

see all that , /\

that supports my point.   chics dig the long ball even though pitching wins championships.  Defense wins championships, but offense puts asses in the seats.

and that is why Schenn's agent will ask for and likely get a more $ than Couturier.

Schenn had exactly 2 more points than Coots.

Yes add Coots goes against the other teams best every night and Schenn and his line Berube trys to play against the other teams weakest (Berube even stated this in the press conference) so only 2 points while playing against the other teams weakest line isn't really impressive.

And even Hexy has said he is going to use stats/ analytics to bare this out. Schenn has zero leverage so if he wants to wear the orange and black again he better sign on the dotted line.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Schenn has zero leverage so if he wants to wear the orange and black again he better sign on the dotted line.

further, if schenn wants to play NHL hockey again some time soon, he'll sign on the dotted line.  

that said, no reason to build bad blood if it can be helped.  i think a 2 year deal paying $2mil per would be acceptable by both sides.  schenn gets a raise and an opportunity for more in a couple of years if he can step up.  the flyers get a 20 goal scorer for less than league average.  seems win-win to me.

• Like 1

i think a 2 year deal paying $2mil per would be acceptable by both sides

i can live with that...all i can say if his agent drags this thing out into the draft....Brayden better be nervous cause he could be in Phoenix after it...just an example and plugged in a center spot or their 3rd line LW spot which is open.

Like i said just for example.

Like the old saying the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Flyers want a Cooter type contract for 1.8, B.Schenn wants 3.1....just meet in the middle and call it a day, I agree with BCF...the 20 goals do mean something....some nice game winners in there also. The fact he is young and his offense should increase will also be part of the equation brought forth by his agent. I say a nice meet in the middle is a realistic cap hit. It would save a few months of crap.