New cap 69 mil

@canoli

If they buy him out he still counts against the cap for the duration of the contract because he was at the 35 year mark. Worse yet you can't LTIR him then and replace him.

re: over 35, yeah, that's what I said - didn't I? lol. Earlier I said this is the reason Pronger's contract "is now biting them in the ass." They could still buy him out but would get zero cap relief from it. If he'd been 34 or younger when he was signed the Flyers would have a much smaller cap hit on a Pronger buyout.

as far as LTIR then replace him, well that's exactly what the Flyers have done and will continue to do. I'm not sure I follow. They could sign Boyle or whoever today - clearing additional space besides Pronger's of course - and then when the season starts the Flyers get $4,941,429 of cap relief. Right? Depending on the new guy's cap hit the Flyers could conceivably be under the $69 million on day one. ...it's just that for the summer they'll be $4,941,429 over.

I thought "over-35 when signed" meant his whole cap hit counts against the cap if the team buys him out.

a buyout of a 35+ contract would work just like it would for any other player.  

the thing with a 35+ contract is the cap hit still counts in the situations where a "normal" one wouldn't.  if a player full on retires, the cap hit still applies.  if a player is sent to the AHL, the cap hit still applies.  if the player is suspended by the team for not showing up for camp, the cap hit still applies.  the idea with some of these contracts that run until the player is 42 years old is those last years, the team would assign the player to the minors, and then not require him to report.  if the contract was signed while the player was under 35, the cap hit would be gone (under the older CBA), but the player would still get paid.  win win.  a 35+ contract, though, doesn't work like that.  you'd still take the hit, no matter what.

with the new CBA and the reduction in ability to bury salary in the minors, the difference between a normal and a 35+ contract is less.  at the time pronger signed, though, it was profound.

essentially, you are not able to bury a 35+ contract.  it will always apply in full to your team's cap number. the kind-of-exception is a buyout.  "kind of", because a bought out contract still applies to the cap number in general, it is just altered.  a 35+ contract doesn't change that.

I just don't see it as being a big deal. Honestly, a good numbers guy and attention to detail minimizes the impact so much it's a non-factor in my eyes. Is extra work created? Sure. But that's why the GM's and their advisors make the big money.

It really is not rocket science. While the corporations, er', franchises are multi-million dollar corporations, there is not a complex algorithm to this. At the end of the day, we are talking a corporation that maybe has 300 employees (i am leaving out the peripheral stuff like parking, concessions, etc). At the core, lets call it 300. Thats in totality. The is the entire operation. Focus on just the hockey players and financial part really can not be that hard. 

I mean if I am a gm, I have one business law lawyer on my retainer (or full time if he wants), one actuarial type and one business / hockey analyst that can help tie the languages together (think that movie about the Oakland a's).  The sole purpose would be for when I say "player x / amount / years proposal", they give me an immediate response on the repercussions, not just for today, or tomorrow, but beyond.

• Like 1