Pens F/A Update

B21

I'll miss Orpik and wish him the best buy $5,500,000 per year for 5 years is insanity.

Looks like Jussi got $4,000,000 per for 4 years from Florida. Jussi and his PPG headed south.

Glass to the Rangers for 3 years at just under $1,500,000 per. Meh.

I like the Erhoff signing.  Bridge to the Pouliots and Harringtons? Insurance for Maatta?

Love the Comeau signing.

Know nothing about Greiss.  The 'ol organizational depth? Not sure at $1,000,000.

A hot rumor was Kulemin to the Pens.  He's still unsigned.

I still think we could use another Comeau-like player or two.

@B21  I like what the Pens have done also. Griese was a top back up last year, had a .920 save %...a nice cheap little escape valve should Fleury implode again.

I don't get why the NYR gave Tanner Glass (of all people) double the vet minimum....unreal. They could have called up any rookie and got better results. It's just under a mill of cap space, so not a huge deal, but a total waste of money.

I thought the Erhoff deal was excellent for you guys, that is exactly what I thought...a very nice bridge to the kids, the money was right and no long term commitment, so it does not block the kids, just takes pressure off them. Who knows, if he plays great, another one year deal. Sounds like a guy who took less term to get his name on the cup....I respect that.

@B21  I like what the Pens have done also. Griese was a top back up last year, had a .920 save %...a nice cheap little escape valve should Fleury implode again.

I don't get why the NYR gave Tanner Glass (of all people) double the vet minimum....unreal. They could have called up any rookie and got better results. It's just under a mill of cap space, so not a huge deal, but a total waste of money.

I thought the Erhoff deal was excellent for you guys, that is exactly what I thought...a very nice bridge to the kids, the money was right and no long term commitment, so it does not block the kids, just takes pressure off them. Who knows, if he plays great, another one year deal. Sounds like a guy who took less term to get his name on the cup....I respect that.

Does it make sense to sign Greiss when you have Zatkoff?  $1,000,000 tells me he's not going to be in the AHL.  I can only think they want Zatkoff to get some real minutes.

As for Glass - he made $1,100,000 last year so I guess a small raise was in order?  He was much better this year than last but I'm not sad to see him go.

Agree 100% on Erhoff.

@B21  I'm by no means an expert on Zatkoff, but Griese is much more proven at the NHL level, had great stats last year...he's the back up and they want Zatkoff to get more seasoning in the A....that's all I can guess.

After seeing some of these cap hits I do not feel nearly as bad as far as who the Pens have lost...

$2.9 million for Engelland?

$5.5 million for Orpik?

$4 million for Jokkinen?

$1.5 million for Glass? (That's the most reasonable of these deal which says a lot)....

A rumored SEVEN MILLION for Niskanen?

Someone I was hoping the Pens would sign - Benoit Pouliot - gets $4 million per?

@B21  Engeland makes just under a mill a year, 2.9 is the hit for all 3 years....still a bit of a reach, but some teams value toughness on the back end. Ideally, more money than you'd want to pay a 7th d-man...but I see the reasoning...and 3 teams were going for him from what I hear, so a tad of a mini-bidding war on Eng.

Yay Glass is gone!! Hoooorayyyyyy!!

Engelland gets overpaid.

Orpik gets WAY overpaid... Good Lord!! Welcome to the land of misfit toys!

Niskanen making 5.75 mill per year for SEVEN years? I'll laugh my butt off if he was a one season wonder. Going to the land if misfit toys as well.

Erhoff should make up for his departure and for 1.75 less and 6 years shorter term.

Edited by Polaris922

Wow, glad the Pens walked away from Orpik, Engelland, Glass and Jokinnen, All were overpayments by the perspective teams(yeah, Dooms the Craps for more years).

Will miss Nisky, still an overpayment at 5.75/year, next Green at the blueline.

• 3 weeks later...

I will wiss Engelland a lot. My favorite enforcer right now. At least he will make good money in Calgary. Godspeed!

Welcome Yorick! I liked Engelland too, but he's WAY overpaid by Calgrlary and in all honesty, he didnt step into his role of protecting Sid & Gino all too often. That frustrated me.

Engelland is the most overpaid free agent of the year, a million dollar a year guy on the best day of his life, he needs to give his agent a big fat kiss.

Orpik. See Engelland.

Niskanen is a heck of a player, I believe the Penguins will miss him, I would have loved to see him sign with the Wings. Slightly overpaid.

I loved Jokinen with Malkin and feel he will never put up the same numbers elsewhere and he should have considered signing with Pittsburgh.

Glass? I didn't know he was still alive let alone in the league, lol.

Greiss is a solid goalie. My eyebrows were raised when he signed with Pittsburgh, Zatkoff was solid last year and Vokoun wants to continue playing, I agree with signing him, I think he is better than either Vokoun or Zatkoff, I think under the previous regime loyalty would have been considered, Rutherford simply went with the best player which is really the best call. Interesting.

Comeau never stops skating. I watched him in Columbus and felt they misused him, as a 4th liner, he has some offensive acumen, 15 goals and a good motor, he is symbolic of a good solid third liner. Again, like Greiss an under the radar bottom of the barrel pickup.

@B21

Erhoff made me sick, he broke my heart. I was hoping for Niskanen with the Wings but figured he would go for more money than we should go, so Erhoff was the perfect fit. From what I have read the Wings offered a three year deal but Erhoff decided that he would reprove himself under a one year contract with studs like Crosby and Malkin in front of him. Brave move by the player and I respect it, you don't hear of too many players with that much self confidence. I think your boys got a winner there.

@Yorick

Welcome!! Quite a few good Penguin fans in here, nice to see someone new!