Penguins Name Mark Recchi Player Development Coach

The Pittsburgh Penguins have named Mark Recchi player development coach, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

Recchi, 46, will be responsible for working with and assisting in the development of young prospects and players throughout the Penguins' organization in the minor leagues as well as in junior and college hockey.

Recchi, a Kamloops, British Columbia native, was the Penguins' fourth-round draft pick in 1988. He scored 154 goals and 385 points in 389 games over three different stints in Pittsburgh.

In 1990-91, Recchi led the Penguins in scoring during the regular season with 40 goals and 113 points in 78 games - then added 10 goals and 34 points in 24 playoff games as the Penguins captured their first Stanley Cup.

Recchi played in 1,652 games in a 22-year NHL career with the Penguins, Philadelphia, Montreal, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Boston. He retired in 2011 after registering 577 goals and 956 assists for 1,533 points. He also won Stanley Cups with Carolina and Boston.

Recchi, who lives in Pittsburgh, has spent the past two years involved with the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite youth hockey program. During that period he was also a senior advisor in the Dallas Stars organization.

GREAT pick up by the Pens. I always imagined Recchi working with the kids in a coaching capacity.....they will get a nice bang for their buck outta this guy. Could not imagine a better guy to help shape the youngsters games. Rutherford made a nice solid move here!!

• Like 1

GREAT pick up by the Pens. I always imagined Recchi working with the kids in a coaching capacity.....they will get a nice bang for their buck outta this guy. Could not imagine a better guy to help shape the youngsters games. Rutherford made a nice solid move here!!

Well they did have Billy Guerin in that position for a little while.  So they've done well in choosing people who have some influence by reputation to help mold the young players.

I credit that one to Lemieux. Much like the Guerin hiring actually. I think there's a short list of names Lemieux has on speed dial for when they become available. Guys like Tocchet and Recchi have always lived here, and I think that may be part of the reason why.

Yeah - have to agree here. The Recching Ball still lives in Pittsburgh. This moves makes a lot of sense.

You

Mean your favorite Penguin turned Flyer turned Penguin again. ;). Lol

true ;)

Pens ->  Flyers -> Habs -> Flyers -> Canes -> Pens -> Atlanta -> Tampa -> Broons

Considering he played 602 regular season games w/ the Flyers and 389 w/ the Pens I am calling him a Flyer. 

true ;)

Pens -> Flyers -> Habs -> Flyers -> Canes -> Pens -> Atlanta -> Tampa -> Broons

Considering he played 602 regular season games w/ the Flyers and 389 w/ the Pens I am calling him a Flyer.

Honestly as much as I like Tocchet I hated that trade. I'm glad both live here and see them both regularly, but Recchi won a Cup here leading the team in scoring on the way. I'm glad the organization found a place for him. He's a great example for the young players.

• Like 1

@murraycraven  Even though Recchi had some of his best scoring years early with the Pens, we had him for 10 years to the Pens 7. A lot of his Flyer years were in his prime, with the Pens, they mostly had him early and near the end of his career. So yeah....a Flyer first..lol.

• Like 1

@murraycraven Even though Recchi had some of his best scoring years early with the Pens, we had him for 10 years to the Pens 7. A lot of his Flyer years were in his prime, with the Pens, they mostly had him early and near the end of his career. So yeah....a Flyer first..lol.

One of our best fourth round draft picks in history!