Brandon Sutter signs two year deal

Polaris922

http://bit.ly/1kEzhH9

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed forward Brandon Sutter to a two-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

The deal runs through the 2015-16 campaign, and has an average annual value of $3.3 million.

Sutter, 25, is coming off his best playoff performance to date. He set new career highs in goals (5), assists (2), points (7), shorthanded goals (1) and plus/minus (+7), while his 2:57 average shorthanded time on ice per game ranked second among all Pittsburgh forwards. Sutter also recorded a new playoff career-high scoring streak of four games (2G-2A) from Apr. 21-28.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Sutter suited up for 81 of Pittsburgh's 82 games in 2013-14, tallying 13 goals and 13 assists for 26 points. Sutter played a vital role in the NHL's No. 5-ranked penalty kill unit (85%), placing second among all Pittsburgh forwards with 2:18 shorthanded minutes per game. He also scored three shorthanded goals, which was good for first on Pittsburgh and tied for fifth in the NHL.

Sutter spent four seasons with the Carolina Hurricanes before being traded to Pittsburgh with Brian Dumoulin and a 2012 first-round draft pick (Derrick Pouliot) for Jordan Staal on June 22, 2012.

In his six-year NHL career, Sutter has accumulated 77 goals and 75 assists totaling 152 points in 415 career games. The durable center has missed just one game over the past four seasons and has netted at least 10 goals in each of the last five years.

Drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes first round (11th overall) in the 2007 NHL Draft, Sutter played four seasons with Red Deer of the Western Hockey League (WHL) from 2004-08, where he was coached by his father, Brent. With Red Deer, Sutter scored 68 goals and tallied 86 assists for 154 points in 205 career regular-season games. He also took home a gold medal as a member of Team Canada at the 2008 World Junior Championship.

Well I didn't think that Sutter would be back.   But that should be it fo rthe Pens, unless they find a way to dump Scuds.  Looks like the starting lineup could be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis(if he's ready)

Hornqvist-Malkin-Bennet

Goc-Sutter-Spalling

Downie-Adams-Megna/Comeau

Letang-Martin

Maatta-Erhoff

Scuds-Despres/Bort

I like the upgrade to the third line, I think it will help out in the playoffs.   Still feel sorry for Sid, he should get an upgrade, but I think they tailor to helping our Geno instead.

Still surprised they didn't keep Jokinen. He seemed to have an affinity with Malkin, of course a lot of guys can have career years playing with someone like him.

Jokinen isn't worth $4+ million a year. I liked the guy but that was a lot of cash for a streaky player.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

Nice solid move by Jimmy. You can't undervalue the contributions of your #1 penalty killing option. He lead the 5th ranked pk unit in the league...this was a must move by Rutherford, and he did it without overpaying.

I do think Goc is a natural center and might fit better on the 4th line....although he's certainly good enough to be a 3rd line player. This will work itself out.

I do think Goc is a natural center and might fit better on the 4th line....although he's certainly good enough to be a 3rd line player. This will work itself out.

I'm leaning that way as well.  At least to start I'd have Goc center Adams and Comeau and try Downie on a wing with Sutter and Spaling.  If Tocchet turns him around he'll fit right in.  If he reverts back to the dumb penalties he gets bumped to the 4th line.

I'm leaning that way as well.  At least to start I'd have Goc center Adams and Comeau and try Downie on a wing with Sutter and Spaling.  If Tocchet turns him around he'll fit right in.  If he reverts back to the dumb penalties he gets bumped to the 4th line.

I think Downie will be on a short leash, Pens have someone like Megna who can play in the NHL to take his place if he cannot control himself.

• Like 1

I think Downie will be on a short leash, Pens have someone like Megna who can play in the NHL to take his place if he cannot control himself.

@B21

And they're high on Payerl right now. There was just an interview about him with Guerin.

If anybody has any chance to reach out to Downie, it's Toc.  But Downie's time is running out.  It's time for him to figure out whether NHL hockey is really for him.  As much as I would like to see him succeed, no matter what uniform he is wearing, I don't know if people whoudl really hold their breath.  When it comes to Downie, it's always the same crap with him: some decent effort alternated with being stupid and lazy.

• Like 1