The second-greatest player of all-time

ScottM

At one point I argued Lemieux may be greater than Gretzky because he was the ONLY player with a points per game above 2. Then he came back out if retirement and dropped below. I keep him and Gretzky 1 and 1A, in whichever order you like. Nobody else has been close.

IMHO, the best player ever is Bobby Orr, not Wayne Gretzky.

Couple points.  To me, Wayne Gretzky could anticipate play better than anyone who ever played. 

I heard Chris Nilan make an interesting point this summer.  He speculated about a scout's evaluation of Mark Messier compared with Gretzky before their NHL days.  Messier was bigger, stronger, and faster.    All the things teams are looking for. 

@Bertmega

I used to argue, for the first few years anyway. that Trottier was better than Gretzky. I've always preferred the guy who could play everywhere. But I finally gave up when Gretzky started lapping guys in points.

@Bertmega

I used to argue, for the first few years anyway. that Trottier was better than Gretzky. I've always preferred the guy who could play everywhere. But I finally gave up when Gretzky started lapping guys in points.

I have a old hockey mag from 1981 that has Trotts and Gretz on the front and the headline screams "who is the best!". That was of course, before Wayne started filling the net like no human ever has.

• 4 months later...

IMO Howe is the second greatest player of all time. Sure, if Orr and lemieux were not injured they would maybe be able to nudge Howe off second best player of all time, but fact remains is that they were injured. Howe was top 5 in Hart voting for 20 years, led the league in goals five times, so he would have 5 Maurice rocket richard trophies if it was made during that time, played in 96% of his games, and its not like he was never injured in his career. He is arguably the most complete player of all time. No one was great as long as Howe was.

Since I see this conversation has resurfaced, I though it would be worth mentioning that thanks to the conversations here, I've become convinced that Gretzky isn't #1. I now go Orr at the top.

Archived