No contract yet for Johansen

hf101

I really don't understand why the Blue Jackets are playing hardball with Johansen.  This guy is their future star, or better said this guy is their star, one the likes of this franchise has never seen. 

Pay him the money!  

Although there is plenty of time to get a deal done, there really is no reason to drag this out into training camp.  The Blue Jackets have $14M in cap space.  The 22 year old Johansen is apparently asking for $7M.

The Blue Jackets on the other hand are hand want a bridge contract,  $3.5 million per year for two years, as Johansen doesn't have arbitration rights, no team has sent him an offer sheet, and he only has had one productive NHL season.

What do the Blue Jackets think they will gain playing hardball with their superstar?  Didn't anyone learn anything from the dealings with Subban?

@hf101  They have the cap space, and there is only 3-4 very important players for the Jackets right now. If you want to succeed, pay the star. I believe the Jacket fans are on board to slowly build through the draft, but if the Jackets piss off Johansson, they will NOT be ok with him leaving and starting all over. If you want to win in this league, you have to secure your stars.

The P.K reference was a good one. Go ahead Jackets, cheap out, watch him score 50 and then pay the max once he gets his arbitration rights. They stand to lose 2-3 mill a year, just like the Habs did.

I guess they are millions apart, not millions over the life of the deal but millions PER YEAR apart. The man is a flat out stud, he carried the team to the postseason last year, he deserves to be paid. From what I understand they are anticipating a holdout of indeterminate length. Just pay him and get it over with, a happy star is a motivated star.

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe this latest injury will have Johansson signed.  

Boone Jenner suffers a broken hand and is expected to be out 4 - 6 weeks.  Horton is out indefinitely with back issues.

The Blue Jackets first line is either injured or unsigned.        

Crazy.

Archived