Babcock: "We'll find a way to get a deal worked out."

yave1964

GM Kenny Holland knows it is going to take lot to keep Mike Babcock beyond this season. His comments, musing upon said subject with a reporter were in print earlier today.

"The guy's got an opportunity of a lifetime,” Holland said. "He's an unrestricted free agent. He's 52 years of age. His stock isn't going to get any higher. He's coming off his second Olympic gold. He was finalist for coach of the year. People feel the job he did last year with our team was as good as he's done here in a number of years."

Sounds like Holland is setting himself up in case Babcock leaves for greener (or White and Blue) pastures. But according to Babcock, in the same article he sounded near positive that he would be back beyond this year behind the Wings bench.

"[Red Wings GM] Ken Holland and I have a great relationship,” Babcock said. “I have a great owner. I like Detroit. I have no concern at all with my situation. We'll find a way to get a deal worked

out. But it's not like I'm in any rush. If it happens, it happens, if not, we'll get it done at the end of the year."

In 10 seasons behind the bench in Detroit, Babcock has 415 wins, 198 losses and 91 overtime losses. The club has been to the Stanley Cup Final twice in his tenure, winning the top prize in 2007-08. Somewhat shockingly, Babcock has only been a Jack Adams Award finalist twice and has not yet won.

Actually, not that surprising. Usually the Adams goes to a coach who is not expected to win but doesn't, it goes to a coach whose teams exceed their expectations. To win when you are expected to is not the sexy thing to do. Babcock is highly thought of and the Wings need to do their damndest to make certain he is under contract and there is no distraction going forward.

@yave1964   Hmmmm. After reading all of that, I now feel there is actual hope that Babber stays in Detroit. Before reading any of this, I figured he is 95% gone. Now I'm at 50/50. Babcock does not strike me as a the kinda guy who engages in total BS. If he really had made the decision to quit Detroit, I could see him being coy and evasive about these questions. The way he answered led me to believe he's contemplating staying....which I thought was kinda off the table.

Maybe it's just my cynical side, but Babcock is saying the same thing a lot of players say before they hit free agency. Some of them actually end up staying, and some of them get insane contracts that would be hard for anybody to turn down. Teams lose their minds over free agents every summer. I would expect the same to happen with a coach of Babcock's caliber.

At what point do the Wings get pissed and decide they don't want to play second fiddle? It' a pretty proud franchise, at some point (maybe in the spring?) the Wings will move on if Babber keeps playing this coy game.

Archived