Toronto rookies vs Chicago rookies....

jammer2

Just got to watch this through my new toy, hockeystreams.com, really, really loving this site. It is worth 100 dollars all DAY LONG. I love the fact I NEVER have to set my DVR for hockey ever again. Just type in my team name and WHAM, it's all there, already recorded and ready to watch. This frees up my DVR big time for the coming new fall tv show schedule.

What a great tool this must be for GM's. Hexy sits down to watch the Hitmen and his two young draftees and all of a sudden he sees a kid for the opponent he has never seen before. He can call the WHL scout and have him scouted immediately, the scout could be at the kids next game. Some of the obscure Euro leagues would come in handy for GM's also. Scouts have to watch for stuff away from the puck, so it could never replace them, but it sure can tip you off as who to scout.

Anyways, this Leafs vs Hawks rookie game was fast paced and entertaining. I watched more of the Leafs rookies than the Hawks. The Hawks big rookie Teurvannian (sp....lol) was mostly invisible, but he did flash some of his obvious 1st round skill level. The one other player for the Hawks that stood out was d-man Fournier. I was shocked to see he was the Hawks 5th rated d-man on hockey futures. This guy is big, skates like the wind, is aggressive, runs the pp very nicely...basically the total package. He's better than Runblad, who is the Hawks top rated d-man, so I'm not agreeing with hockey futures rankings here.

Michael Nylander is a STAR. I will go as far to say this....

The Leafs top 4 centers (skill  wise) since the mid 60's....

1)Dave Keon

2)Darryl Sittler

3)Mats Sundin

4)Michael Nylander.......YEP, he is *that* good.

Nylander is an elite skater with wonderful shifty moves and a real nose for the net. He saucers passes over d-men's sticks....a real natural at this skill, looks like he just wishes it there, a very good sign. I believe Nylander will be the Leafs captain 5 years from now. He is *THE* star center they have been missing since Mats retired. Jaw dropping skill and speed.

Nylander played on a line with Verheage (sp). They worked quite well together. The Leafs also iced a line of the Rupert brothers (fans loved this, the game was in London, Ont...where the Ruperts played for the hometown Knights) and David Broll...otherwise known as the Brool Dozer.....lol. All 3 played a nice physical brand of hockey. Tyler Bigss (aka Mr.Bust) looked like his normal brutal self. He will be out of hockey in 3-4 years, guarantee it. I really liked Gauthier, the Leafs first round pick 2 years ago. He's a player, he will play in the NHL, probably in a bottom six capacity.

Michael Nylander is a STAR. I will go as far to say this....

Well that doesn't sound good good thing the Flyers are beefing up on D then. But it seems his one knock is his size and sometimes shies away from physical play but i guess they have to find something to nitpick.

Here is another article on him.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=461716

LONDON, Ont. – As far as first impressions go William Nylander performed about as well as one could expect.

The Maple Leafs top prospect dazzled in his first game action in blue and white, speedy and dangerous throughout a 4-2 opening night victory from the club's annual rookie tournament in London. Nylander, picked eighth overall at the 2014 draft, finished with one assist, responsible for a handful of quality scoring opportunities opposite an opposing pool of prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks organization.

"He's got some things that you can't teach," said Marlies coach Gord Dineen, overseeing the rookie operation from the home of the OHL's London Knights. "It seems likes he's one of those guys when he gets the puck his speed gets even more enhanced. And he's not one-dimensional. He's not trying to beat guys one-on-one; he can spread the puck around and jump into holes. That's a good start for him."

The 18-year-old was noticeable almost every time he touched the ice on this night, his high-end handle and bursts of speed often too much for the Blackhawk rookies to handle. 

In the first period alone, Nylander set up linemate Carter Verhaeghe for a quality chance, burst out for a breakaway (he fumbled the attempt), broke up a scoring chance on the penalty kill and then drew a penalty later in that same shift. He offered flashes of speed, vision and creativity with the puck throughout the rest of the evening, crashing into the goal at one point following one particularly close call.

"Had a couple chances where if I would've played a couple more games before I think I would've probably scored, but that's what happens," Nylander said afterward. 

"We feel, not only that he's got offensive capabilities, but he's also a guy that can play a great two-way game," Dineen added. "And certainly that's something that Randy Carlyle and his coaching staff covet."

The rookie tournament this weekend is really just a warm-up act for Nylander, who shot to the top of the team's prospect pool following his first round selection this past June. Both he and the club are looking ahead to NHL training camp next week. From there, they'll determine where he best fits for the upcoming season; with the Leafs, Marlies or back to Sweden.

"I'm glad that's not my job," Dineen said with a laugh.

@OccamsRazor  If I'm Toronto, I don't want any part of Nylander going back to Europe. Once he's back there, it makes it a lot easier for him to accept a ultra rich contract, probably double what a capped ELC world would pay.

Would the Leafs ever dare to insert Nylander on the top line with Kessel, and put Bozek where he would be most useful, 3rd line center. Bozek is so good on draws....he could be placed on all the faceoffs in his own zone, which is certainly not where you would want Kessel.

@jammer2

Interesting speculation on Teravainen as some are stating that he will be the answer to the Hawks need for a 2nd line center... well maybe in a few years.  

It's hard to say 101, maybe he just had an off day, feeling a bit sick, I'd like to see him again and see if he does better.

Archived