I am most hopeful for Sanheim to be a Star

Mario99

For what it's worth, Hextall also said recently they are in win mode every year, and that won't change with him at the helm. I think the difference just might be the philosophy on *how* to win and what they're willing to give up (in terms of assets and $$/contracts) to get there.

Agree, you said it much better than what I was trying to convey.

And Terry Murray says positive things about him. So why was he sent down before Morin or Gostisbehere? If they have plans for him I would have thought he would have been around the big club longer.

I would assume that contracts are going to dictate the starting D lineup. Morin, Ghost, and Alt aren't going to make the team out of the gate. Alt's already been in a camp or two, so you send him down to get the newer guys more reps with NHL talent before they, too, are sent down. This gives Berube a longer look at them, and lets them see the NHL game a bit more. Alt's probably your first callup.

And Terry Murray says positive things about him. So why was he sent down before Morin or Gostisbehere? If they have plans for him I would have thought he would have been around the big club longer.

I too was puzzled by that news, i thought He would get a longer look...unless as @AJgoal says they "know what they got" with him and he'll be an early call up .  I get the vibe from  him that the game won't be too fast and he doesn't look very "panicky" in the face of forechecking pressure, i think that may come from his football qb days,  I have liked what i have seen of him.

I am also curious to see how Reese Wilcox pans out, that kid has some good things going on too.

So back to Sanheim...

Watched him play last night in a 9-2 blowout of the Lethbridge Hurricanes and he scored two goals. Nice to see him jump up into the play for the first one and his skating ability really stands out when you watch him. 

He only scored 5 goals all last season so hopefully his offensive game takes off even more this year...

I would assume that contracts are going to dictate the starting D lineup. Morin, Ghost, and Alt aren't going to make the team out of the gate. Alt's already been in a camp or two, so you send him down to get the newer guys more reps with NHL talent before they, too, are sent down. This gives Berube a longer look at them, and lets them see the NHL game a bit more. Alt's probably your first callup.

I was initially puzzled by Alt getting the axe and wondered out loud if the kids had maybe moved above him in the depth chart, but your explanation is not only plausible, it's likely correct.

Archived