I am most hopeful for Sanheim to be a Star

Mario99

I'm curious to know if Hexy will promote our D prospects in paires. They've been playing as a pair in the A's and Hexy could structure current/future contracts so that our prospects could graduate together and the chemistry would already be there and development time would be easier knowing where your defensive partner would be at, through the years of playing together. Just an out of the box thought.

I'm curious to know if Hexy will promote our D prospects in paires. They've been playing as a pair in the A's and Hexy could structure current/future contracts so that our prospects could graduate together and the chemistry would already be there and development time would be easier knowing where your defensive partner would be at, through the years of playing together. Just an out of the box thought.

That's a good point.  I like that idea.

I think Sanheim has the potential to be the best all around defenceman out of our propsect pool eventually. In 2 years I'd say either Ghost or Hagg will be the better...4 or 5 is a different story.

Its refreshing for me to see the team finally drafting not only d-men, but quality / high potential d-men. The down side is that I have to wait 5 years to see the fruits of that strategy.

Excellant idea and it makes sense.  Legit defensive prospects and Flyers....what a foreign concept! :)

Its refreshing for me to see the team finally drafting not only d-men, but quality / high potential d-men. The down side is that I have to wait 5 years to see the fruits of that strategy.

Agree...seems like a long time away.  Frustrating that this should have been done 4-5 years ago.  Finally a GM with a plan for the future.

Beats the old way....in 5 years they're looking for another Dman. I find it much more enjoyable watching players develop on your team than grabbing past their prime guys from others.

I can really see Morin and Ghost being paired together, they seemed to work fine together the other day and their skill sets compliment each other perfectly. The real exciting part is Ghost and Sanheim have fantastic wheels, so at some point in the near future we will have some out of this world skating on the back end...when was the last time you could say that in general about the Flyers d?.....not since McCrimmon and Howe patrolled for the 80's Flyers I'd say. Even Hagg and to a lesser extent Morin have decent wheels, so I'm really looking forward to a mobile defense, FINALLY!!!

The one thing the Flyers have to be aware of is breaking in to many guys at once, so their ELC's all end at the same time. These bridge deals are not as cost effective as they used to be, so just something they will have to keep tabs on....but a good problem to have.

Unfortunately, Morin, Hagg and Ghost were all Homer's weren't they?

Not denying that Morin / Hagg / Ghost were Homer's, however, the problem I had with Homer was the insane contracts he handed out.  From Hartnell to Bryz to Vinny.  Homer quite frankly was not very good at managing the Cap.  We get 2 out jail free cards in Briere and Bryz and what does he do....he immediately signs Vinny to a ridiculous contract.

IMO, this team was never being built for the future, it was always in win now mode. (which is ok if you hve the right pieces in place). 

For what it is worth, and yes this can be said of any team.  Homer did draft some defensemen through the years, BUT, how many where high prospect defenseman?

2012 Entry 78 3 Shayne Gostisbehere D Union College [ECAC]          

2012 Entry 111 4 Fredric Larsson D Brynas Jrs. [sweden]   

2012 Entry 141 5 Reece Willcox D Merritt Centennials [bCHL]          

2012 Entry 201 7 Valeri Vasiliev D Spartak Jrs. [Russia]

It appears that Ghost is a steal being draft at #78 in 3rd round

2011 Entry 116 4 Colin Suellentrop D Oshawa Generals [OHL]          

2010 Entry 179 6 Nick Luukko D The Gunnery School [Conn.]          

2010 Entry 206 7 Ricard Blidstrand D AIK Jr. (Sweden)          

2009 Entry 87 3 Simon Bertilsson D Brynas IF Gavle [sEL]          

2009 Entry 196 7 Oliver Lauridsen D St. Cloud State [WCHA] 15 2 1 3 34

2008 Entry 19 1 Luca Sbisa D Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL] 266 9 47 56 217

2008 Entry 67 3 Marc-Andre Bourdon D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL] 45 4 3 7 52

Sibisa was traded in the ill-fated Pronger Deal and sadly MAB has been dealing with concussion syndrome issues.

2007 Entry 41 2 Kevin Marshall D Lewiston MAINEiacs [QMJHL] 10 0 0 0 8

2006 Entry 42 2 Mike Ratchuk D US National Under 18 Team          

2006 Entry 55 2 Denis Bodrov D Tolyatti Lada [Russia] 

2006 Entry 101 4 Joonas Lehtivuori D Ilves Jrs (Finland)          

So as one can see, yes Homer has drafted defenseman, but none have been touted as NHL quality defenseman withthe exception of Hagg, Morin, and Ghost.  So no, i don't think they placed much stock in drafting a quality defenseman in Rounds 1 or 2.

And as FC said above, Homer got caught up in win now mode, escpecially, after the miracle run of 2010.

Good to see you around again (kind of an oxymoron given that you were the one to start this site after the debacle that is Philly.com forum).

@Pilldoc

Thanks.  I'm around.  Just not as much.  Kids are keeping me busy.  New job.  Good times though

What do you guys think about Mark Alt?

I have been a fan of his potential, he is a top tier athlete with size , in his life he has won state championships as a team leading quarterback, his dad was a professional athlete... he has intangibles that I believe will make him a solid if not dan girardi-esque pro. He skates well , but is a bit of a late bloomer... I think of the Ollie , Manning , Alt group he has the best tool kit to be an NHL regular.

I have been a fan of his potential, he is a top tier athlete with size , in his life he has won state championships as a team leading quarterback, his dad was a professional athlete... he has intangibles that I believe will make him a solid if not dan girardi-esque pro. He skates well , but is a bit of a late bloomer... I think of the Ollie , Manning , Alt group he has the best tool kit to be an NHL regular.

I would have disagreed a few weeks ago, but I went back and watched some Phantoms games from last year, and WOW can Alt skate...his skating puts him ahead of Oliver...and Oliver is not exactly a slouch for a very big man. Alt has way more dexterity though, much more.

And Terry Murray says positive things about him. So why was he sent down before Morin or Gostisbehere? If they have plans for him I would have thought he would have been around the big club longer.

IMO, this team was never being built for the future, it was always in win now mode.

For what it's worth, Hextall also said recently they are in win mode every year, and that won't change with him at the helm. I think the difference just might be the philosophy on *how* to win and what they're willing to give up (in terms of assets and $$/contracts) to get there.

Archived