Training Camp Roster Down to ?

AlaskaFlyerFan

Flyers camp roster is down to 30 something. An article on CSNPhilly says 34 but the roster on the Flyers website only lists 31 players and that includes Pronger & Timonen. Not sure which one is accurate.

They have to get down to 23 for the start of the season. Who else gets cut?

here is an article from silly.com.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-pare-down-roster.html

After four preseason games, the Flyers again pared down their roster on Friday.

Forward Andrew Gordon and defensemen Oliver Lauridsen and Brandon Manning were placed on waivers on Friday at noon, with the intent of being sent down to AHL Lehigh Valley on Saturday. All three players are open to being claimed by any of the other 29 NHL teams by Saturday at noon.

Lauridsen, 25, is on a one-way NHL contract this season and will be paid $650,000 this season regardless where he plays.

The Flyers also assigned forwards Darroll Powe and rookie Taylor Leier to the Phantoms. Powe, 29, is on an AHL-only deal. Leier, 20, is entering his first professional season on an entry-level contract.

With those cuts, the Flyers are down to 16 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goaltenders. They need to be down to a maximum of 23 players by Oct. 7 at 5 o'clock.

Among the 16 forwards, the Flyers will still need to cut two players from a group of Jason Akeson, Scott Laughton, Zack Stortini, Blair Jones, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, and Chris VandeVelde.

Shayne Gostisbehere and Samuel Morin still remain with the Flyers in training camp on defense
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-pare-down-roster.html#1MRK0CZCpwUKrLVP.99

Lets do the easy one 1st.

Goalie: 3 are left. Mason, Emery, Zepp. 

Easy one here, Zepp will be sent down, though if an injury occurs to either Mase or Razor then Zepp willget the nod.

Defense:  11 on roster including Pronger and Kimmo.  Eliminate them we are down to 9.  I say 2 get cut.  Which two out of this group"

Coburn

Del Zotto

L. Schenn

Grossman

MacDonald

Ghost

Morin

Schultz

Streit

I know this is being currently debated in another thread.  Do you let Schultz go and keep either or Ghost or Morin.  There is talk of seeing Grossman go, but he paired well with Schenn last year.  How much better is Schenn over Ghost or Morin.  Yes I know the arguement of keeping them (Morin, Ghost) in the AHL to get more experience, but from what some are saying how well Ghost played last night, some are arguing keeping him with the team and continue to learn.

I could go out on a limb here and say that Grossman and Schultz are gone and you keep Morin and Ghost up.  (Don't think that will happen)  My gut does say that either Morin or Ghost make the team.  Not sure which though.

Alot of us have this team pegged at 7-9 in the Conference anyway.  It just might be smart to let Ghost or Morin play with the big boys.  Tough one here.

Among the 16 forwards, the Flyers will still need to cut two players from a group of Jason Akeson, Scott Laughton, Zack Stortini, Blair Jones, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, and Chris VandeVelde.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-pare-down-roster.html#RAD6SMWPoH0jD8uU.99

There are actually 17 forwards listed on Flyers roster.  Subtract White because of injury and you are down to 16.  You need 14. 

The 10 no brainers:

Coots

Giroux

VLC

Raffl

Read

Rinaldo

B. Schenn

Simmonds

RJ

Jake

That leaves you with these 6 and 4 make the team:

Akeson

Bellemare

Gordon

Jones

Rosehill

Stortini

Which 4 make the team?

I vote with Akeson, Bellemare as definites to make the team.  I think Stortini gets sent to the "A".  Love his fire but is he better than Rinaldo?  That leaves Gordon, Jones, Rosehill to battle out for the last 2 spots.  I think they keep Rosehill (after all he is Mr. Speed Demon! :P ) and they keep B. Jones.  That leaves Gordon as odd man out.  I have nothing to back this up.  Just a gut feeling.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-pare-down-roster.html#RAD6SMWPoH0jD8uU.99

There are actually 17 forwards listed on Flyers roster.  Subtract White because of injury and you are down to 16.  You need 14. 

The 10 no brainers:

Coots

Giroux

VLC

Raffl

Read

Rinaldo

B. Schenn

Simmonds

RJ

Jake

Akeson

Bellemare

Gordon

Jones

Rosehill

Stortini

Which 4 make the team?

I vote with Akeson, Bellemare as definites to make the team.  I think Stortini gets sent to the "A".  Love his fire but is he better than Rinaldo?  That leaves Gordon, Jones, Rosehill to battle out for the last 2 spots.  I think they keep Rosehill (after all he is Mr. Speed Demon! :P ) and they keep B. Jones.  That leaves Gordon as odd man out.  I have nothing to back this up.  Just a gut feeling.

Thanks, Doc. Gordon is still on the roster but he was waived today, so he will be going down.

Doc, my gut tells me you are right on. Keep Morin and Ghost, let two go, most probably Gossmann and Schults, rotate the remaining five to seven  as appropriate. I don't think this will happen, but both Moran and Ghost appear ready to develop at the NHL level and have superior skills to many of the Flyer's defensives  regulars. 

The voice Doc, Lunatic

The 10 no brainers:

Coots

Giroux

VLC

Raffl

Read

Rinaldo

B. Schenn

Simmonds

RJ

Jake

Akeson

Bellemare

Gordon already on waivers

Jones

Rosehill

Stortini

Laughton

Which 4 make the team?

I vote with Akeson, Bellemare as definites to make the team.  I think Stortini gets sent to the "A".  Love his fire but is he better than Rinaldo?  That leaves Laughaton, Gordon, Jones, Rosehill to battle out for the last 2 spots.  I think they keep Rosehill (after all he is Mr. Speed Demon! :P ) and they keep B. Jones.  That leaves Gordon as odd man out.  I have nothing to back this up.  Just a gut feeling. 

I forgot to add Laughton in the mix.

UPDATE: I forgot to add Laughton to the list when  I first made the post.  So does Laughtom make the team?  I'm gonna say yes and  that means either Mr Rosehill or Mr. Jones shall recieve a parting gift. Who shall it be?

Who is of more value to the team then? Rosehill or B. Jones?  I dunno know .... I could care less about either one of them.

The 4 remaing players who make the team will be, IMO,  Akeson, Bellemare, Laughton, and Rosehill (I flipped a coin on Rosehill and Jones).

That means the Flyers could field as many as 3 or 4 rookies on the team. (Laughton, either Morin or Ghost, Bellemare, Akeson)  Would Akeson count as a rookie?

Again just my 2 cents.....

Shultz is the perfect #7

I say he stays because his game will not be hurt in the press box and he's a pro so he won't kill the team if he's needed , a better skating version of Hal Gil. I like Laughton's chances with the NHL club , though I would prefer big and important AHL minutes for him...he has been one of the better forwards we put out thus far.

@mojo1917  I'm not thrilled with Schultz as the 7th, but they did not sign him for the AHL. I'd be in favour of Alt or Oliver taking the 7th spot from Schultz, but Ghost, Hagg, Morin...these guys need to be playing big minutes where ever they are. Alt, Manning and Oliver are in a different boat, Oliver is 25, I think Manning is close, and Alt is 23. If those guys don't stick this year, chances are they will be lifer's in the AHL. I'd be in favour of one of them taking Schultz's job....but not the younger kids.

Archived