Leaf SMASH

Brian Burke. The Man with the Plan.

(...that he totally contradicted and eventually got canned for)

The Legend that is Big Burkie wanted the Leafs to play a physical game. A game full of tugnasterone, pestosity, and trogladence.

Now, it seems, Leaf fans across the globe are having a fuss that it looks like Leaf facebreakers Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren are not going to start with the team, but instead be held in reserve.

So the question for my fellow frequenters of forums when we should be working is: do the Leafs actually need a fighter? Can they get by with the occasional fighters, like David Clarkson, Troy Bodie, Dion Phagoof, etc.? Will they get bullied?

Me, myself, I think they should probably focus on becoming an actual good team before we worry too much about the fisticuffs. To me, the most valuable fighters are the ones who can also actually play the game, even if they aren't as good of fighters as the Spartans on skates that think sticks are spears.

What do you guys think? Not necessarily about fighting in general, but do you think the Leafs are making a mistake by not dressing straight up fighters?

I think carrying an enforcer is a luxury that kills cap space and makes a team worse.

I don't think this will hurt the Leafs , I don't think it will hurt the Flyers as they are not dressing goonage either.

the game has changed the instigator rule has made fighting inorganic and stupid, the two gladiators asking "to go" was never why it was "allowed" in the past, it was because men with sticks were crashing into each other at high speed in a confined space and occasionally needed to correct each others behavior.

I tend to agree @mojo1917.

I think that both the Flyers and Leafs have enough guys that can drop the gloves if they need to without having the gladiators patrol the ice, taking up valuable cap space and roster spots (with their typical 5 minutes a night, instead of a much more useful 10-12 for a 4th liner).

What do you guys think? Not necessarily about fighting in general, but do you think the Leafs are making a mistake by not dressing straight up fighters?

It's about DAMN time the Leafs moved on. Having respectable players on the 3rd and 4th lines could very well be the difference between making the playoffs and golfing. I'm shocked the Leafs have FINALLY got with the program.

• 3 weeks later...

It's about DAMN time the Leafs moved on. Having respectable players on the 3rd and 4th lines could very well be the difference between making the playoffs and golfing. I'm shocked the Leafs have FINALLY got with the program.

HAHAHA too funny!!!!!!!!

shanahan.0.png

Good ol shanny!!!!

Is that JVR and Kessel?

Archived