Downie

fanaticV3.0

Really?

Downie 1G 3A -1 in 9 games.

Umberger 1G 2A -5 in 10 games.

Both have different roles, but -5 from a defense first guy in the bottom 6?

That plus/minus stat? :lol:

The numbers that count are virtually the same and Umberger has simply had the more productive career. Downie is a failed project. Dude never caught on. Umberger scored 18 goals last year. Downie scored 4. Umberger is a 5 time 20-goal scorer. Downie has done it...once. Umberger last scored 20 goals in a year in 11-12. Downie did it in....09-10. So to answer your question. Yes, really. Stop being such a Pens fan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem with Downie isn't his play or his potential, its his history that is getting a few undeserved penalties.   If he continues to be a liability, I think he's got to sit in the press box a bit.  Maybe that's why Megna was called up.

That plus/minus stat? :lol:

The numbers that count are virtually the same and Umberger has simply had the more productive career. Downie is a failed project. Dude never caught on. Umberger scored 18 goals last year. Downie scored 4. Umberger is a 5 time 20-goal scorer. Downie has done it...once. Umberger last scored 20 goals in a year in 11-12. Downie did it in....09-10. So to answer your question. Yes, really. Stop being such a Pens fan.

Stop being a Pens fan? You spend too much time trying to insult people and not enough time thinking through the topic. Assuming I'm being a homer has blinded you to this conversation.

I despise Downie, in ANY uniform. But you're busy comparing Umberger's past to everyone else's present. I must see more Umberger games than you somehow. He's not the player you think he is, because you're looking at his stat line from history rather than his play this year, and even the second half of last year.

Umberger is a pylon out there and very much on par with Downie right now, leagues worse than Hartnell right now. The fact that you'd rather insult everyone you debate with than accept the fact that you're wrong speaks volumes.

Stop being a Pens fan? You spend too much time trying to insult people and not enough time thinking through the topic. Assuming I'm being a homer has blinded you to this conversation.

I despise Downie, in ANY uniform. But you're busy comparing Umberger's past to everyone else's present. I must see more Umberger games than you somehow. He's not the player you think he is, because you're looking at his stat line from history rather than his play this year, and even the second half of last year.

Umberger is a pylon out there and very much on par with Downie right now, leagues worse than Hartnell right now. The fact that you'd rather insult everyone you debate with than accept the fact that you're wrong speaks volumes.

Yeah, you know blindly loyal, defensive, biased, etc.

I think he's better than Downie. History proves that. End of story.

Yeah, you know blindly loyal, defensive, biased, etc.

I think he's better than Downie. History proves that. End of story.

Correction: history proves he WAS better ... That's why it's history. Current stats say he IS equal to slightly worse. Good grief .. Nice talking to you. Please feel free to visit anytime! *waves*

Current stats say he IS equal to slightly worse. Good grief .. Nice talking to you. Please feel free to visit anytime! *waves*

You are one of my favorite posters, despite your team affiliation. Keep your head up and your stick on the ice.

Correction: history proves he WAS better ... That's why it's history. Current stats say he IS equal to slightly worse. Good grief .. Nice talking to you. Please feel free to visit anytime! *waves*

:lol:

Wow, you really knocked that one out of the park.

Don't look now but Stevie D. is 2 / 5 / +3. Just sayin'.  Maybe Jimmy Rutherford was on to something. I still don't like the guy but......

And - I loved how he was about to go ape last night after Byfulgien's cheap shot and Sutter..."talked"...him out of it.

Don't look now but Stevie D. is 2 / 5 / +3. Just sayin'. Maybe Jimmy Rutherford was on to something. I still don't like the guy but......

And - I loved how he was about to go ape last night after Byfulgien's cheap shot and Sutter..."talked"...him out of it.

The third line is on fire right now.

So Downie is playing well?

Actually... and I kind of hate to give him credit, but yes.  He's had a big impact on the line with Sutter and Spaling.  Among the best third lines in the NHL by all counts.  

Sutter 4 g 4 a plus 3 

Spaling 2 g 2 a plus 5

Downie  2 g 5 a plus 3

A 3rd line averaging over a point per game is good in my eyes.  

@Polaris922

I've got a soft spot for the guy...as much of a lunatic as he is.

Did you see his rabid response to Byfuglien? A legit cheap shot and he got up like a rabid dog to go after him. I like that response when it's warranted. Just hope he keeps it in check when it's not.

Actually... and I kind of hate to give him credit, but yes. He's had a big impact on the line with Sutter and Spaling.

Downie could always play. Its just his brain cramps that get in the way of it (re: coaches confidence). His brain cramps and not fleet of foot are what turn people off to him. I will trade you Umberger for him. :-)

Downie could always play. Its just his brain cramps that get in the way of it (re: coaches confidence). His brain cramps and not fleet of foot are what turn people off to him. I will trade you Umberger for him. :-)

In hoping Tocchet is the solution to the brain cramps. So far so good!

As for Umberger, despite fanatic v3.0's insistence that Umberger is the better player, I'll pass thank you! Lol.

As for Umberger, despite fanatic v3.0's insistence that Umberger is the better player, I'll pass thank you! Lol.

Agree With This

Umberger has hands of stone and skates like he is in quick sand. While downie is no speedster, at least he has offensive prowess and is a good agitator. Its just keeping his temper in check. 

Downie also has pretty good hockey sense....he just lacks common sense. :confused[1]:

Saw Downie play for Team Canada at the WJHC (along with Crosby). While crosby was certainly one of the best players, Downie really shined.

Archived