Downie

fanaticV3.0

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/10/22/7043331/zac-rinaldo-hit-sidney-crosby-steve-downie-fail

Watching him literally fumble and bumble makes me laugh. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

On a more serious note, what the hell happened to him? He was a promising prospect once upon and a time and he's not even a sideshow anymore. He's just floundering.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still amused they signed Downie...  he CANT prtoect anyone anymore... his brain is jello and his skills are dwindling.  

It was a terrible signing. He never lived up to his expectations, however if this were a few years ago it wouldn't even be that bad a signing. But he's far enough removed from anything relevant that there was no realistic chance he was ever going to get 20 goals or 40 points again.

I am still amused they signed Downie...  he CANT prtoect anyone anymore... his brain is jello and his skills are dwindling.  

Again...  $1 million and a threat to lose his mind and submarine anybody at any time.  He's not impressive, no, but he's cheap and like having a rabid dog on a leash.  On that note, I seriously don't see him making it to season's end.  I'll be surprised if he's still here come All Star game...  but then again, I think Rutherford is a moron so....  

@Polaris922  Somehow, Johnston reigned in Downie after the Crosby hit. Usually, he would lock in and fixate on the situation, the refs and linesmen already keen to the fact he's on the ice, will watch him and wait for the implosion. There was none, that's a bit of growth on Downie's part....thought for *sure* he would take a 5 min major in this game....maybe Johnston can just control him properly, either way, a good omen for the Pens.

Sounds like umberger.

I always liked the guy, but I have no problem admitting he's been at best a non-factor this year.

However, that's not a good comparison at all. Umberger scored 18 goals last year. Downie scored 4. Umberger is a 5 time 20-goal scorer. Downie has done it just once. Umberger last scored 20 goals in a year in 11-12. Downie did it in 09-10.

However, that's not a good comparison at all. Umberger scored 18 goals last year. Downie scored 4. Umberger is a 5 time 20-goal scorer. Downie has done it just once. Umberger last scored 20 goals in a year in 11-12. Downie did it in 09-10.

fair enough. I just have umberger tied to my whipping post.

3 points and a -4 in 7 games, while Hartnell has 8 points in 6 games.

fair enough. I just have umberger tied to my whipping post.

3 points and a -4 in 7 games, while Hartnell has 8 points in 6 games.

Your first problem is you are comparing points and points only (Hartnell is always going to win that race). They are different players and you know it. Your second problem is you are doing it after 6-7 games. The Flyers lost this trade in your eyes before either one of them played a second in their new uniforms.

Your first problem is you are comparing points and points only (Hartnell is always going to win that race). They are different players and you know it. Your second problem is you are doing it after 6-7 games. The Flyers lost this trade in your eyes before either one of them played a second in their new uniforms.

Okay, thanks boss for telling me my problems re: my intellect.

All I see is a sub .500 club and above .500 club.

Let me see if I can go to Corsi to aply myoptic view and get a better prescription. 

WTF? At the end of the day we traded a turd for a turd and its the turd we go that is larger!!! All to save two years of a contract.

Okay, thanks boss for telling me my problems re: my intellect.

All I see is a sub .500 club and above .500 club.

Let me see if I can go to Corsi to aply myoptic view and get a better prescription. 

WTF? At the end of the day we traded a turd for a turd and its the turd we go that is larger!!! All to save two years of a contract.

I didn't question your intelligence. I pointed out your really blatant bias. The Downie/Umberger comparison was just laughable. Then you come back with this "Hartnell has more points, he must be better" crap. Yeah, let's look at just points and that's it. Because that's fair. 

The Downie/Umberger comparison was just laughable.

Whaat? Granted I am slow on the uptake....where was there a comparison??

Then you come back with this "Hartnell has more points, he must be better" crap. Yeah, let's look at just points and that's it. Because that's fair.

In reading that, you believe we have the better turd??

Truthfully, I don't think Hartnell is a turd at all. I do however think Hambergler is. Its not personal, its just a value proposition thing.

1/8 of the season has been completed.

Lets play full season fantasy fun projection: 

Hartnell: 91 pts and a -27, nearly 18 minutes a night.

Smellbergular: 27pts and a -45, nearly 15 minutes a night.

I get it. It was a contract dump, but this one stinks. Ship Smellburlglar at the deadline for a 3rd and be done with the dump. Oh, but wait, that won't happen- why you ask?, because nobody will want him. Yet Hartsmell would garner at least as 2nd in a deep draft.

Whaat? Granted I am slow on the uptake....where was there a comparison??

In reading that, you believe we have the better turd??

Truthfully, I don't think Hartnell is a turd at all. I do however think Hambergler is. Its not personal, its just a value proposition thing.

1/8 of the season has been completed.

Lets play full season fantasy fun projection: 

Hartnell: 91 pts and a -27, nearly 18 minutes a night.

Smellbergular: 27pts and a -45, nearly 15 minutes a night.

I get it. It was a contract dump, but this one stinks. Ship Smellburlglar at the deadline for a 3rd and be done with the dump. Oh, but wait, that won't happen- why you ask?, because nobody will want him. Yet Hartsmell would garner at least as 2nd in a deep draft.

For real? Your first post, in a thread about Downie, wasn't "sounds like Umberger"? Now I do actually question your intelligence.

For real? Your first post, in a thread about Downie, wasn't "sounds like Umberger"? Now I do actually question your intelligence.

I have neither the time or patience to deal with your ilk. When a pens fan proves you wrong, there is nothing I can add.

I have neither the time or patience to deal with your ilk. When a pens fan proves you wrong, there is nothing I can add.

This coming from a man who once said "I nominate this post as post of the year." about one of my posts. I was going to tell you to check and make sure you are taking your meds for your cramps, but it appears you don't actually have your period this week. You just exaggerate in general.

And Umberger > Downie, but that's besides the point. This team is in cap trouble and had to get rid of Hartnell, hence the move.

Really?

Downie 1G 3A -1 in 9 games.

Umberger 1G 2A -5 in 10 games.

Both have different roles, but -5 from a defense first guy in the bottom 6?

Archived