Upcoming Blue Liner Free Agents: 2015

money_bags.jpg

Lots of season left to go, but thought it might be interesting to start discussion now and possibly keep it going to the end of the season on possible defenseman UFA's.

It's a position, other than goaltending, that is often sought after by teams looking to be serious contenders, rebuild, or just ice a respectable roster.

Some of the impending D-men UFA's will most likely be signed by their current teams (if they are big part of what the team is doing) or traded off as rentals by the non contenders.

Still though, could be nice to get some talk going here about guys on the blue line posters here would like to see on their team's blue line or simply ponder where some may end up.

I'll start with a few that stand out to me:

Eric Brewer...just traded from the Bolts to the Ducks...obviously to  help shore up Anaheim's depleted defense, but also, because Brewer is an experienced leader and player, and brings a good combination of skill and size.

He will be 36 by the time he hits free agency over the summer, and he is making about $3.8M on his final year of his current contract.

Big Eric could possibly be a nice stop-gap type defensman (maybe on a 2 yr deal) for a team needing to stabilize a young defense.

Barret Jackman....33 yrs old, hard nosed player, $3.2 M cap hit on his final contract year with the Blues. He may stay on with St. Louis, but if not, he could make a nice addition to a team in need of some serious toughness (and occasional maniacal behavior ;)  ) on their blue line.

Mike Green....29 yrs old, currently with Washington, who may very well keep him also. $6M cap hit currently though, and his defense is far from airtight, but he more than makes up for it with good puck moving and handling skills, a very good skater, and can possibly help bolster just about any PP he is on.

Marc Methot.... he will just have turned 30 by the time FA rolls around, and his defense is also not the most sound, but not terrible, and he can bring some offense and toughness to a blue line, though not quite the offense that a Mike Green could bring. Still though, his current cap hit is just $3M and maybe a bump in salary and an offensive minded team is all it would take to lure him over somewhere besides his current Sens team.

That group of four is just for starters as I was browsing capgeek earlier today....there are several others as well.

I wouldn't mind a Barret Jackman on the Minnesota Wild.

Wild have a distinct lack of nastiness due to coach Mike Yeo preferring players who skate and play rather than hit and rough house.

Not a bad approach, but still, when bigger teams come to push n shove, its nice to know you have guys (especially on the blue line) that take no nonsense from the opposition.

Minny's current three 'nasty guys' on defense are Marco Scandella, Nate Prosser and Justin Faulk.

Those three are ok, but Prosser and Faulk are far from TOI regulars and Scandella has other areas of his game (along with his toughness) that help his team, and I am sure Minnesota would rather have him playing hockey rather than simply running into people.

Jackman could fit in nicely with the team and take more of that role, as (hopefully) Minny would let Keith Ballard walk as he is on his final year.

Anyone else that stands out as a good soon-to-be-available FA?

Who would you like on your team from the FA D-man pool in 2015?

Money1.jpg

Lots of season left to go, but thought it might be interesting to start discussion now and possibly keep it going to the end of the season on possible defenseman UFA's.

It's a position, other than goaltending, that is often sought after by teams looking to be serious contenders, rebuild, or just ice a respectable roster.

Some of the impending D-men UFA's will most likely be signed by their current teams (if they are big part of what the team is doing) or traded off as rentals by the non contenders.

Still though, could be nice to get some talk going here about guys on the blue line posters here would like to see on their team's blue line or simply ponder where some may end up.

I'll start with a few that stand out to me:

Eric Brewer...just traded from the Bolts to the Ducks...obviously to  help shore up Anaheim's depleted defense, but also, because Brewer is an experienced leader and player, and brings a good combination of skill and size.

He will be 36 by the time he hits free agency over the summer, and he is making about $3.8M on his final year of his current contract.

Big Eric could possibly be a nice stop-gap type defensman (maybe on a 2 yr deal) for a team needing to stabilize a young defense.

Barret Jackman....33 yrs old, hard nosed player, $3.2 M cap hit on his final contract year with the Blues. He may stay on with St. Louis, but if not, he could make a nice addition to a team in need of some serious toughness (and occasional maniacal behavior ;)  ) on their blue line.

Mike Green....29 yrs old, currently with Washington, who may very well keep him also. $6M cap hit currently though, and his defense is far from airtight, but he more than makes up for it with good puck moving and handling skills, a very good skater, and can possibly help bolster just about any PP he is on.

Marc Methot.... he will just have turned 30 by the time FA rolls around, and his defense is also not the most sound, but not terrible, and he can bring some offense and toughness to a blue line, though not quite the offense that a Mike Green could bring. Still though, his current cap hit is just $3M and maybe a bump in salary and an offensive minded team is all it would take to lure him over somewhere besides his current Sens team.

That group of four is just for starters as I was browsing capgeek earlier today....there are several others as well.

I wouldn't mind a Barret Jackman on the Minnesota Wild.

Wild have a distinct lack of nastiness due to coach Mike Yeo preferring players who skate and play rather than hit and rough house.

Not a bad approach, but still, when bigger teams come to push n shove, its nice to know you have guys (especially on the blue line) that take no nonsense from the opposition.

Minny's current three 'nasty guys' on defense are Marco Scandella, Nate Prosser and Justin Faulk.

Those three are ok, but Prosser and Faulk are far from TOI regulars and Scandella has other areas of his game (along with his toughness) that help his team, and I am sure Minnesota would rather have him playing hockey rather than simply running into people.

Jackman could fit in nicely with the team and take more of that role, as (hopefully) Minny would let Keith Ballard walk as he is on his final year.

Anyone else that stands out as a good soon-to-be-available FA?

Who would you like on your team from the FA D-man pool in 2015?

Marc Staal

Paul Martin

Johny Oduya

Johnny Boychuk

Jeff Petry

Pretty slim pickings Most of these guys will be resigned before July first, better look to make trades or in your own organization if you are looking for a top four based on the above. Boychuk, no waythe Isles don't resign him, nobody else there I would really want. Now I see why Minny signed Scandella to a five year extention.....

@yave1964  I'd be interested in Oduya if the price was right. Other than that, only Boychuck stands out...and as you stated, there is no way the Isles let him reach UFA status....ditto for the NYR and Marc Stall.

The way I see it....

1)Methot

2)Oduya

3)Jackman

The big names will all be resigned. This could be the worst year ever for UFA d-men.

EDIT...just did some research.....

1)Cody Franson

2)Erhoff (don't think the Pens will resign him with all the young prospects and tight cap space)

3)Methot

4)Oduya

5)Zidlicky

6)Jackman

7)Visnovsky

8)Gleason

I think Alex Martinez will be resigned by the Kings, not sure what the Canes will do with Sekera and the Ducks might let the 34 year old Beauchemin walk...depends on who is coming up in the system....but Fredrick might want more years than the Ducks are comfortable giving out.

The UFA class looks better now that I searched a bit. Cody Franson will get a nice contract. That rocket of a shot and his age will be factors on his side, but he is slow, so that may factor in also.

Still, no big name, someone is going to overpay out of this class.....Does anyone remember the unfortunate contracts signed by Komisarek and Jeff Finger?

:lol:

I totally forgot about him.

But then again, the Sharks signed Nick Wallin to a 2.65 million contract. Mostly because Wilson is stupid when it comes to free agents and only believes in signing bottom tier players.

• 1 month later...

@yave1964@jammer2@TropicalFruitGirl26

Andrej Sekera will be a hot commodity come trade deadline methinks.

Obviously Carolina will be sellers, and he DID have an 11 goal, 44 point season with them last year

I like Sekera, and when he gets dealt to a contender he will be a hot Fantasy player too. I am kicking myself for Perron, I held him for as long as I could (the league I had him in has a plus/minus catregory and he was killing me) and as soon as I cut him BAM he gets traded. I am thinking of picking up Sekera in case he gets dealt early too.....

I like Sekera, and when he gets dealt to a contender he will be a hot Fantasy player too. I am kicking myself for Perron, I held him for as long as I could (the league I had him in has a plus/minus catregory and he was killing me) and as soon as I cut him BAM he gets traded. I am thinking of picking up Sekera in case he gets dealt early too.....

Hehehe. I got Perron just a bit before I saw Polaris log on and call me a bum for snagging him.

Perron scored in the first period on his first shot lol. Assist to Crosby

• 1 month later...

My concern with Methot has been his back this year and as we've seen from numerous players, once you sustain a serious back injury, you're never the same. Someone is going to grossly overpay for Methot and they're going to regret it. Right now, if I'm GM of any team, I'd only have three guys that I'd target - Sekera, Boychuk and Franson. After those three, forget it. It'd be about short term deals until my defensive prospects are ready.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I think Methot will be highly sought after if the Sens can't extend him. He will easily get a 5 year deal for 5 mill per, at least that's how I see the market.

My concern with Methot has been his back this year and as we've seen from numerous players, once you sustain a serious back injury, you're never the same. Someone is going to grossly overpay for Methot and they're going to regret it. Right now, if I'm GM of any team, I'd only have three guys that I'd target - Sekera, Boychuk and Franson. After those three, forget it. It'd be about short term deals until my defensive prospects are ready.

Well, guys, as per today, Marc Methot will NOT be hitting the FA market...Sens decide they will keep him.

Hmm...Ottawa thinking they can do a re-tool instead of a re-build?

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=753532&navid=nhl:topheads

AAV $4.9 M over 4 years.... you were pretty darned close to that mark @jammer2

Well, guys, as per today, Marc Methot will NOT be hitting the FA market...Sens decide they will keep him.

Hmm...Ottawa thinking they can do a re-tool instead of a re-build?

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=753532&navid=nhl:topheads

AAV $4.9 M over 4 years.... you were pretty darned close to that mark @jammer2

....and Bryan Murray and the Senators paid way too much for Methot. Seeing as to how defensemen are going to get paid and seeing as to how most contenders are desperate for depth, this can only bode well for any team that's out of contention.

Archived