Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2014-2015

WordsOfWisdom

@WordsOfWisdom

Kessels turnover and total lack of effort on the ensuing backcheck that led to the goal was embarrassing. It's hilarious how one of the games fastest skaters gets passed by everyone when he doesn't have the puck. Ok, except the goalie.

JVR plays a soulless game...if him and Kessel are part of the nucleus of a team they will never be elite. Those two just don't care. Phaneuf takes a lot of abuse, but at least he tries. He's just not worth that contract. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@WordsOfWisdom

Kessels turnover and total lack of effort on the ensuing backcheck that led to the goal was embarrassing. It's hilarious how one of the games fastest skaters gets passed by everyone when he doesn't have the puck. Ok, except the goalie.

JVR plays a soulless game...if him and Kessel are part of the nucleus of a team they will never be elite. Those two just don't care. Phaneuf takes a lot of abuse, but at least he tries. He's just not worth that contract. 

Kessel's lazy play is starting to show through. He had another play in that same game where he didn't get out to cover the point man quickly enough, and that led to another goal. I thought the penalty shot was a crap call by the ref. Sedin did nothing to warrant a penalty on that play. Kessel got his first road goal in 20 games on a bogus penalty shot. Another Leafs jersey tossed on the ice, this time a Kessel jersey.

Phaneuf got punched in the face by one of the Canucks during a scrum. I thought that was hilarious. Phaneuf has to be the most disliked and most disrespected captain in the NHL. He might be trying but I haven't been impressed with his game this year. He hasn't been reliable in his own zone.

The Leafs might be stuck doing their rebuild with both of these guys around. I can't think of any other NHL players whose stock has fallen more in the last three months. Kessel looks like a second line forward at best and Phaneuf looks like a #3 or #4 defenceman at best. :o

Mar. 16: TOR vs EDM

1. Brewer (TOR)
  2. Phaneuf (TOR)
  3. Sill (TOR)
  4. Brewer (TOR)
  5. Lander (EDM)

Final score: 4-1 EDM.

LOL. The Leafs managed to out-tank the tank! Bernier gets chastised by the announcers for 3 goals on 4 shots but he's not the one responsible for this dog pile. Brewer!!! Two more DEs for a total of 5 already! On one play he tipped the puck into his own net. He's the worst defensive player the Leafs have had on their roster all season. Sill's boneheaded check caused a 3-on-2 that lead to another goal. And Phaneuf just can't keep his nose clean. This is comical. :lol:

Mar.19: TOR vs SJ

1. MacWilliam (TOR)
  2. T. Smith (TOR)
  3. Thornton (SJ)
  4. Gardiner (TOR)
  5. Brewer (TOR)

Final score: 4-1 SJ.

How much longer until the Brewer experiment is over? Wow. This guy sucks. A lousy giveaway in the defensive zone leads to a goal. Welcome to the Leafs MacWilliam! Ya gotta cover guys when they go to the front of the net! And Gardiner.... what more needs to be said? He lets his guy go to the net, creating a 2-on-1 and leaving Phaneuf to the wolves.

I now cheer whenever the visiting team scores. I'm still upset that teams are holding back against the Leafs and not running up the score.  :)

@WordsOfWisdom   Very proud to note, that the Leafs were FINE until the dismantling by the Flyers in Late Dec....it all started to unravel from that point forward...or at least, that's the way it seemed to me.

Yes, and the game against Nashville too. Those were some epic beat downs. Everyone in Leafland knew what was going to happen next -- as illustrated by that video I posted.

:)

Mar.21: TOR vs OTT

1. Rielly (TOR)
  2. Gardiner (TOR)
  3. Hoffman (OTT)
  4. Reimer (TOR)
  5. Turris (OTT)
  6. Stone (OTT)
  7. Erixon (TOR)
  8. unknown* (TOR)

*Poor video footage on empty net goal. Could not identify player.

Final score: 5-3 OTT.

The Leafs are like the classic movie Groundhog Day, except for the ability to learn and the happy ending:

Not sure how many people are following along with this thread but for completeness, here are the two most recent games:

Mar.23: TOR vs MIN

1. MacWilliam (TOR)
  2. Panik (TOR)
  3. Dubnyk (MIN)

Final score: 2-1 MIN.

Mar.26: TOR vs FLA

1. Van Riemsdyk (TOR)
  2. Bernier (TOR)
  3. Bernier (TOR)
  4. Hayes (FLA)
  5. Gardiner (TOR)

Final score: 4-1 FLA.

Bad game by Bernier tonight. Leafs have mastered the art of the 4-1 loss. This tank is rolling!  :)

Mar.28: TOR vs OTT

1. Gardiner (TOR)
  2. Booth (TOR)
  3. Borowiecki (OTT)
  4. T. Smith (TOR)
  5. Macarthur (OTT)
  6. Legwand (OTT)
  7. Hoffman (OTT)

Final score: 4-3 (OT) TOR.

The tank hit a rough patch. Not sure why the top line decided to show up now. The Senators looked like a team that was running on fumes. They collapsed in the 3rd period and appear to be a team that is about to enter a losing streak.

As usual...once the Leafs are officially out, they start rollin". 

All of the bottom teams have been winning recently, and I don't think it's a coincidence.  I'd be willing to bet that each of those franchises got a private warning from NHL head office about throwing games and the possible repercussions of doing so.  ie: "Start winning games or forfeit your draft lottery pick."  :o

I'd be interested to know if someone from NHL head office has been in attendance as well to monitor the actual games.

@WordsOfWisdom

I doubt they could make them forfeit their pick. Columbus is winning cause they're a good team that went through a pile of injuries. I don't blame the Sabres players for losing, their gm traded away all their talent...the tank is on him. In Toronto, the tank is on the players.

Columbus is winning cause they're a good team that went through a pile of injuries. I don't blame the Sabres players for losing, their gm traded away all their talent...the tank is on him. In Toronto, the tank is on the players.

That is a perceptively perceptive way to put it.

@WordsOfWisdom

I doubt they could make them forfeit their pick. Columbus is winning cause they're a good team that went through a pile of injuries. I don't blame the Sabres players for losing, their gm traded away all their talent...the tank is on him. In Toronto, the tank is on the players.

I wonder. The NHL sort of makes things up as they go along sometimes. :mellow:

We all expect the bottom teams to lose more frequently than they win, but the sheer number of extended losing streaks that the bottom teams have had, and their distance in the standings from the other 25 or 26 teams is a statistical anomaly in a league with this much parity.  (Meaning it's highly unlikely to happen on its own if those teams really are trying to win games.)

Apr.1: TOR vs BUF

1. Komarov (TOR)

2. Ellis (BUF)

3. Grigorenko (BUF)

4. Foligno (BUF)

5. Bernier (TOR)

6. Lindstrom (TOR)

7. Phaneuf (TOR)

Final score: 4-3 BUF.

Apr.4: TOR vs BOS

1. Phaneuf (TOR)

2. Bartkowski (BOS)