Mark Giordano for the norris trophy?

JagerMeister

No, I don't see him as Norris quality, YET.

He is a heck of a hockey player and the Flames have it going on, especially on the blue line offensively. Hartley has them playing a rather unique form of hockey. Essentially, all the d-men pinch in. Heck, even Russell who sucks is putting up good points.

Giordano is a creation of Hartley, I am not saying he is not a good player but the forwards are bad, the goaltending is ok but unspectacular so he has the talented defense take ona  huge role at both ends, creating constant scoring chances for the back end boys and at least 4 Flames defenseman are going to set career highs in points.

Defensively in order to play in Hartleys system you have to be extremely athletic, able to go up and down the ice in an instant so yes, Giordano and the rest have to be able to get it done. But I don't see him as one of the top two or three defensive defenseman in the game. Or even the top ten.

But the practice of rewarding the Norris to the top tier offensive blueliners is a long one, so it is possible. I love Giordano and his skill set, I personally don't see him as the best defenseman in hockey.

When names like Subban and Karlsson are engraved on whats supposed to be the best defenceman award and others like Green and Letang are runners up that tells me all I need to know about where this award has gone. it isn't for the best defenceman. So yes Giordino could win it...if he puts up enough points. Which is all its become. Throw Voracek on the blueline he'd win it.

When names like Subban and Karlsson are engraved on whats supposed to be the best defenceman award and others like Green and Letang are runners up that tells me all I need to know about where this award has gone. it isn't for the best defenceman. So yes Giordino could win it...if he puts up enough points. Which is all its become. Throw Voracek on the blueline he'd win it.

i know he has been great offensively but how has he been defensively? personally i dont really watch calgary often.

@JagerMeister  I think Gio has a very nice skill set, he's always kinda come in under the radar, more was always expected of him, until the points started flowing more freely this year. There is an outside chance T.J Brodie that surpass Gio has the best Flames d-man, much less the whole league.

@JagerMeister I think Gio has a very nice skill set, he's always kinda come in under the radar, more was always expected of him, until the points started flowing more freely this year. There is an outside chance T.J Brodie that surpass Gio has the best Flames d-man, much less the whole league.

honestly I can't say much about who is better. Don't watch flames, but Gio is almost a ppg player as a defenseman!!

@JagerMeister   I think T.J is just hitting stride though. He's only been in the league for 2 an a half years, and coming off a very respectable 31 pt year as a 23 year old. This year he has 26 pts in 31 games, so he's certainly hitting stride and no where close to peaking.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen quite a few Flames games, and in my opinion, Mark Giordano is the real deal. This guy rarely seems to have a bad shift (the way I see it) seems to plays hard each shift and scores big time goals for the Flames.

Do I think he should win the Norris? 

-Maybe.

Do I think he should be in the conversation?

-Yes.

Archived