Hypothetical Trade: Phil Kessel for Ryan Suter?

WordsOfWisdom

A 1:1 trade.

If you were the Leafs GM, would you be willing to part with your #1 offensive player in order to get a #1 defenceman that can help take the load off Phaneuf and shore up the team's biggest weakness?

(Note that the Leafs are 1st overall in GPG while sitting somewhere around 23rd overall in GAA.)

The Wild need scoring. They have more than enough defence. Exactly the opposite of the Leafs.

Thoughts?  :)

First contract length, both are going to make around 8 million a year for the next decade. To me, I would rather pay a shut down defenseman who can play 30 minutes a night in all situations that kind of money than a one dimensional forward whose only real ability is scoring goals.

Kessel cannot kill penalties, if you mention backchecking or defense he assumes you are talking about something being done to him, not by him. That said he is a true offensive force who can take over a game snapping off 10 shots in a night on net. He can look really bad for 50 minutes and then drill two quick ones past a netminder before the other team knows what is happening.

Suter, IMHO is overrated but slightly. He signed that absurd contract with the Wild along with his buddy Parise but hey, you have to overpay free agents to sign them, that is how it works. Suter is a tireless worker who never quits, defensively sound, in fact his entire game is sound, I say he is a bit overrated because his offensive ability is more a result of hard work than actual skill. But when you are your teams highest paid player you better offer something on offense. Phaneuf is in the same boat, not really an offensive stud but has to produce because of his role and contract.

So anyway, would I do it? From a Wild standpoint, no way no how period, 30 minute a night d-men do not grow on trees. Forwards who can score are an easier commodity to come up with, Niederreiter is scoring, 14 so far I think, Vanek will score and of course Parise is on the team. Kessel, with his one skill would be redundant with the Wild.

For the Leafs, I think you have to do that deal. It creates a vacuum on the top line but again, top forwards are easier to come by, shake that tree, see what falls out, top d-men are an almost impossible commodity to get.

Would the Leafs do it?

In a heartbeat....you can replace a productive forward much easier than replacing a minutes eating, smart, do-it-all defenseman in his prime.

Bottom line, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

If you are Minnesota, you'd have to be insane to even consider such an absurdity....

I agree with both of you that the Leafs would be a stronger team overall with Suter, and would be able to plug most of the hole left by Kessel with more ice time to other forwards. (At least that's what you would hope if you were the Leafs.)

We've seen what happens to teams that score lots of goals and can't play defence in the playoffs: it's always an early playoff exit.

But to play Devil's advocate....  :)  A player like Kessel could inject some excitement into a team like the Wild. Kessel is an elite goal scorer, and they don't grow on trees either. Kessel is also a bit younger, and he can make plays in addition to scoring goals. His game has improved over the years. 

I think that's a deal where both teams are getting value. Are D-men harder to find? Maybe. Are D-men more valuable than forwards? Perhaps. But I think if you're the Leafs or the Wild, it's clear that the status quo isn't working. The Wild are struggling and the Leafs are on another losing streak.

If we run the season through to its conclusion, Leafs fans know how it will end: Either a 9th place finish or a first round playoff exit. Maybe it's time to shake things up and try a new approach. Time to change the core of the team because the current core isn't good enough. The Leafs haven't had a true #1 defenceman in my life. They just keep building the same team over and over again: Offence heavy, defence light, and then lean too heavily on the goalie. It doesn't work, but the Leafs have been trying it for 20+ years now.

It's also a question as to whether Kessel fits in Toronto with the media spotlight here. I'm sure management would like to turn the page on the deal that brought him here. (A deal that backfired on the Leafs badly.) 

If I'm the Wild, no way I make that trade. If I'm Toronto, I do it in a heartbeat.

But it's moot. Suter picked Minnesota because that's where he wanted to play. Even if Minnesota was crazy enough to try to move him for Kessel, he's not waiving his full NMC to go to Toronto.

If I'm the Wild, no way I make that trade. If I'm Toronto, I do it in a heartbeat.

But it's moot. Suter picked Minnesota because that's where he wanted to play. Even if Minnesota was crazy enough to try to move him for Kessel, he's not waiving his full NMC to go to Toronto.

Assuming Kessel for Suter is impossible, do you think there is an elite defenceman to be had?

(ie: A similar deal that could be structured.)

Honestly? No. Teams just don't let those guys go. The free agent crop this year is topped by Erhoff and Franson. The Leafs (Or any other team) will have to significantly overpay in order to land an elite Dman.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly? No. Teams just don't let those guys go. The free agent crop this year is topped by Erhoff and Franson. The Leafs (Or any other team) will have to significantly overpay in order to land an elite Dman.

Well that's disappointing.  :(

Archived