Are the Jets for real or is this another heartbreak?

yave1964

As 2014 is coming to an end the Winnipeg Jets are sitting at 19-11-7 with 45 points, good for 4th in the division and sixth in the conference. This in spite of:

The top four defensemen, Jacob Trouba, Zach Bogosian, Tobias Enstrom and Mark Stuart have all been out and will continue to be so until some time in February.

Evander Kane has been in and out, inconsistent and injured and is now out with a LBI for around six weeks.

Getting absolutely zero offense from anyone outside of the top two lines.

I have been critical in this forum over the Jets non exciting play and I haven't changed my mind that much, when the top two lines are not on the ice, the plan seems to be to go into a trap and clog lanes which may frustrate opposing teams but is not exactly fun to watch. But Coach Maurice has built a system where the teams know their roles and play hard every night and nobody seems to be asked to do more than they are capable.

Big Buff was tried up front with mixed results in an attempt to get scoring from the top three lines more evenly balanced but has taken off since being moved to the back end out of need. Jay Harrison, coming over from the Canes may not be the most skilled player but he is cerebral and makes few mistakes with the puck.

Forwards Little, Ladd Ladd and Wheeler continue to make the offense go, and Frolik, Perreault and Scheifele are all solid. Depth scoring does continue and will likely remain a huge concern.

In net, Pavelec has not been horrible, and is being pushed by Bruins castoff Michael Hutchinson who has been a revelation with a 1.87 GAA and a save Pct. of .937 and a record of 9-3-2 taking a larger role with the team as the season continues. If he can keep it up or come close in the second half the Jets might just be able to hang on long enough to get the defense back.

So can they stick around? Tough question, the Bruins have made some mistakes in the last few years with the roster so Hutchinson might just be a real netminder. This team lacks depth, if any of the big three go down among the forwards this thing could get unraveled in a hurry, especially if Little goes down. Short of that, with teams like Dallas and Colorado stuck in the mud, Winnipeg looks to be as good a bet as any to claim a bottom playoff spot.

@yave1964

You and I have already talked about much of this subject. I appreciate your efforts at generating threads on the Jets - hopefully we can get some Jets fans here soon. I'm not necessarily a "fan" - I'm a disgruntled Flyer fan who is stuck in the 'Peg and get to watch the Jets for free on TSN. 

But I will say this: they are one of the hardest working, best conditioned teams in the league. Throughout their lineup you can see a universal commitment to competing, to playing hard for each other, for their coach and for their fans. It's funny how that makes up for a relative lack of skill in the lineup (not to mention injuries).

Is it enough, given all of their injuries, to get them into the playoffs? Who knows. But if they fail it won't be for lack of trying. 

You continue to emphasize their lack of skill and lack of depth, but I think you underestimate one important element and that's how smart and versatile their key "role" players are. Take Frolik, Perrault, Little. All centers. All good on faceoffs, all fast, all complete players. All very smart.

The other thing I think you get wrong in your analysis is how they play. You suggest that they trap and play boring hockey much of the time. It's not really true. They take what teams give them sure, but they are actually a hard and fast forechecking team. They don't over-pursue when it's pointless to do so and will drop back to clog the neutral zone. But they are a tight, puck-support, puck pressure team IMHO. They pounce on pucks and support that pressure with waves of it, often from the D. It's actually the way the game is supposed to be played. 

@Podein25

The bottom two lines are what I was referring to when I said they play the trap and clog the middle. Every team seems to do it but Winnipeg seems resigned with the lower lines to the mentality of, 'we are not going to score so lts just make sure the other team doesn't either.' They play for the tie with the bottom two lines rather than the win and yes, I am not referring to Little, Perreault or Frolik with this but to the other two lines. Top six good enough to make the postseason but zero, absolutely zero scoring from the bottom six. I count the guys mentioned above as top six players. But yes, having watched a few Jets games since our last conversation I have to admit I m impressed with how everyone knows their role especially after losing there entire top four on defense.

Hutchinson. Real or not? And should he be given the starting job from Pavelec? I know they are pretty close to splitting starts right now and Pavelec is not doing that bad, but personally I would ride Hutch right now.

@yave1964

Yeah they need more depth in the bottom six and many fans, although quiet right now, are frustrated by Chevy's lack of action to try and improve that through trade. I still disagree with you about how they play. They actually forecheck pretty well those lines. They don't score because they have no skill, not because they are sitting back in the neutral zone trapping like they were New Jersey Devils from the 1990s. And don't forget, prior to injuring his leg, Kane was on the 3rd line. He's many things Kane, but hardly unskilled. 

Anyway, re; Hutchinson. Yes, he is for real. Drafted in the 3rd round for a reason I think. His career numbers are pretty good especially SV%. I'm not a goalie but he seems to have both great quickness/reflexes and rebound control. Looks poised at all times. 

Is it enough, given all of their injuries, to get them into the playoffs? Who knows. But if they fail it won't be for lack of trying.

That is the reason the Jets are now my "adopted" team from the West. Love their players, love the work ethic. Trouba is my favourite non-Flyer in hockey. He is indeed the real deal. With the talent they have in the pipeline, the Jets will be a virtual powerhouse in the coming years, sounds even weird to say, but I believe it 100%. I felt the same way about the Islanders a few years back, the Jets are on the same trajectory. In fact, a Jets vs Islanders Stanley Cup final in 2018 in not only possible, it probable. Hutchinson is going to take this league by storm, he's awesome.

Another guy who is playing out of this world for a young fill in type is the d-man Chariot. You never hear anything about him, but WOW, does he play a heads up steady game....rarely makes mistakes and just a fine all round player. When this kid fully develops, he will be a cornerstone of their defense IMHO.

Agree with most of what has been said.

Jets fans are extremely passionate and patient fans. They are long overdue for a winner. :(

When I look at all of the Canadian based teams, the Jets are the team that has accomplished the least during their NHL tenure. (Both in their first iteration and now with the franchise rebirth.) It's a shame.

Agree with most of what has been said.

Jets fans are extremely passionate and patient fans. They are long overdue for a winner. :(

When I look at all of the Canadian based teams, the Jets are the team that has accomplished the least during their NHL tenure. (Both in their first iteration and now with the franchise rebirth.) It's a shame.

Yeah the first go round they were victim of a small market team in a no cap world. Add in a crappy arena with a crappy lease deal and you get lousy.

This version has a way better foundation, especially the ownership group and the arena deal.

Chariot with a beautiful goal against the Leafs tonight. Any offense from him is a total bonus, cause he is steady as a rock in his own end. Quickly becoming one of my favourite blue liners in the league. Ultimate underdog who plays the game the way it should be played.

@Podein25

The bottom two lines are what I was referring to when I said they play the trap and clog the middle. Every team seems to do it but Winnipeg seems resigned with the lower lines to the mentality of, 'we are not going to score so lts just make sure the other team doesn't either.' They play for the tie with the bottom two lines rather than the win and yes, I am not referring to Little, Perreault or Frolik with this but to the other two lines. Top six good enough to make the postseason but zero, absolutely zero scoring from the bottom six. I count the guys mentioned above as top six players. But yes, having watched a few Jets games since our last conversation I have to admit I m impressed with how everyone knows their role especially after losing there entire top four on defense.

Hutchinson. Real or not? And should he be given the starting job from Pavelec? I know they are pretty close to splitting starts right now and Pavelec is not doing that bad, but personally I would ride Hutch right now.

I think that if Scheifele and Chariot can pick up their games consistently, These guys are for real. Pats is the cornerstone in net and if they can hang around in the top 8 until some players get healthy, they can be in a good spot.

Archived