Hello:Earth to Hexie,anybody home?

The Quigster

You're right I should respond to your actual question.

I guess my answer is that we don't know do we?

It's way too soon to tell if picking in the middle of the pack helped us.

It certainly didn't hurt us with G.

And we paid for Jake and Coots and Shenn who were all high picks from other teams.

Compared to the top 3 projected this year, I guess the guys of the last two years are good but we'd estimate not as good as a top 3 this yeAr.

I didn't say anything about "high" picks. They traded 2 first rounders for Pronger and have traded plenty of 2nd and 3rd rounders over the years. I ask again, are Sanheim, Ghost, Morin, Hagg, and Laughton not decent picks. None of them were really"high" draft picks.

IRa a lose lose situation unless they manage to tank the rest of this season. Hard to care if the team's coach (I assume who you're talking about?) makes bad decisions.

The choice is what? A new coach that might make good decisions that ultimately still wouldn't be enough to make this team a competitor next year or Chief continuing to do what he does making them only slightly worse but not bad enough to help.

There's too much wrong with this team. Long and short they need to replace chief to do better. But when they do, there will be even more to do after that and because of homer, that "more" is going to take a number of years unles Hexy turns out to be a Saint and works multiple miracles.

A good coach can actually teach young players on how to get better. You want Berube here doing that next year? If we get a new coach and this team remains the same as you said, not too good to do anything. I still want the new coach here and to give him time to implement his system. This also gives Hextall time to get players who fits in. Isn't that better then to keep the idiot here who can ruin careers? Not sure on who the coach will be but I hope Hextall finds someone who is patient with young players and give them time to play instead of the old vets who does not fit in long term.

You're right I should respond to your actual question.

I guess my answer is that we don't know do we?

It's way too soon to tell if picking in the middle of the pack helped us.

It certainly didn't hurt us with G.

And we paid for Jake and Coots and Shenn who were all high picks from other teams.

Compared to the top 3 projected this year, I guess the guys of the last two years are good but we'd estimate not as good as a top 3 this yeAr.

Why do the Flyers need either McDavid or Eichel? They're already strong at center, that's their strongest position in fact. Hanifan might be nice but I don't think he's as much of a sure thing as the other two.

I'm not philosophically opposed to "tanking", a.k.a., "rebuilding". I have no problem with what the Sixers are doing. But the Flyers are not in the same position as the Sixers were a year or two ago, they already have a good nucleus of young talent. They need to rebuild the blue line which they are in the process of doing. They need better secondary scoring from the forwards, and they don't need to draft in the top 5 to do that.

I'm not philosophically opposed to "tanking", a.k.a., "rebuilding"

I don't think it matters i don't think they are tanking i think they are giving it their all but despite all....they are just not that good.

Why do the Flyers need either McDavid or Eichel? They're already strong at center, that's their strongest position in fact. Hanifan might be nice but I don't think he's as much of a sure thing as the other two.

I'm not philosophically opposed to "tanking", a.k.a., "rebuilding". I have no problem with what the Sixers are doing. But the Flyers are not in the same position as the Sixers were a year or two ago, they already have a good nucleus of young talent. They need to rebuild the blue line which they are in the process of doing. They need better secondary scoring from the forwards, and they don't need to draft in the top 5 to do that.

Envision a team where Giroux is either the second line center or moves to his original wing position (given how good he's gotten at faceoffs, second line center would be good).

I think with guys like this you want the chance. You could trade a #1-3 pick this year for some serious talent on Defense of you wanted.

Alternatively you could risk trading the likes of B Schenn or Simmonds for the kind of secondary scorjng your talkjng about.

Hell, I bet you could even convince someone to take VLC and Umberger off yor hands for a 1-3 pick this year.
It provides options to a team that currently has zero ways to improve that secondary scoring or bring in some bet d leadership over The next two to four years.

Envision a team where Giroux is either the second line center or moves to his original wing position (given how good he's gotten at faceoffs, second line center would be good).

In a no salary cap world, sure. In the current NHL I'd prefer a well balanced roster with available cap space spread around where it's needed.

I think with guys like this you want the chance. You could trade a #1-3 pick this year for some serious talent on Defense of you wanted.

Are you suggesting that, a) the Flyers tank and then, b) trade the pick they just tanked for for defense? Like who for instance?

Alternatively you could risk trading the likes of B Schenn or Simmonds for the kind of secondary scorjng your talkjng about.

Those guys are the secondary scoring, now. So you get rid of them and you're still short. Makes no sense to me.

Hell, I bet you could even convince someone to take VLC and Umberger off yor hands for a 1-3 pick this year.

Not sure what you're saying here. You aren't suggesting that the Flyers could get a top 3 pick this year in exchange for VLC and Umberger are you?

In a no salary cap world, sure. In the current NHL I'd prefer a well balanced roster with available cap space spread around where it's needed.

I agree there, but we're spending vastly more on defense than we should be.  With the upcoming kids, that should slowly get back down to where it should be.  Use the difference to go get the winger we need.  And if somehow we shed VLC and Umberger's salary, even more for a bonafide winger or two.

Not likely to happen, of course.  But fun to dream.

If we're picking 4th or 5th and coming out with a top-level defenseman, I'm happy too.

I agree there, but we're spending vastly more on defense than we should be.  With the upcoming kids, that should slowly get back down to where it should be.  Use the difference to go get the winger we need.  And if somehow we shed VLC and Umberger's salary, even more for a bonafide winger or two.

It could work, but it could also end up in a Penguins type of situation where a huge chunk of your cap space is tied up in a few players. And we hope that the young defensemen will turn out to be better than the guys we have now, which means eventually they will need to get paid. Hextall has to be thinking long term. If you really want go for McDavid then I think you full-on tank and move Giroux and a few other good players (i.e., not Umberger and VLC) and rebuild around McDavid or Eichel. I don't think the Flyers are so far away that they need to do that.

It could work, but it could also end up in a Penguins type of situation where a huge chunk of your cap space is tied up in a few players. And we hope that the young defensemen will turn out to be better than the guys we have now, which means eventually they will need to get paid. Hextall has to be thinking long term. If you really want go for McDavid then I think you full-on tank and move Giroux and a few other good players (i.e., not Umberger and VLC) and rebuild around McDavid or Eichel. I don't think the Flyers are so far away that they need to do that.

In reality, to get McDavid in the first place you'll probably have to move Giroux to get bad enough to get there (barring an amazing feat of luck at the ping pong ball machine).

But just pretending we kept Giroux and somehow got McDavid, I'm not at all concerned with the "you've got to pay them" thing with the defense.  This would come as a shock to Holmgren, but you don't have to pay the entire defensive corps as if they're #1s.  Of the prospects, some will be first pair possibly and eventually paid accordingly.  The rest should be paid what down-roster should be paid.   But in any case, you don't really need to worry about it  until they're done their entry or bridge contracts.  Hopefully, you have a cup by then.

Not sure what you're saying here. You aren't suggesting that the Flyers could get a top 3 pick this year in exchange for VLC and Umberger are you?

I'm trying to track his logic there myself... Is he saying if we had the 1 or 2 pick we should trade it but as a condition it would be packaged with RJ and VLC? What kind of crap is that. If that's the case buy the 2 of them out, eat the dead cap space it costs and keep the pick...

I'm trying to track his logic there myself... Is he saying if we had the 1 or 2 pick we should trade it but as a condition it would be packaged with RJ and VLC? What kind of crap is that. If that's the case buy the 2 of them out, eat the dead cap space it costs and keep the pick...

Well, if by some miracle the Flyers do win the lottery or just end up being bad enough to draft in the top 3, then you do whatever is best for the team going forward. I doubt Hextall would trade that pick though.

Well, if by some miracle the Flyers do win the lottery or just end up being bad enough to draft in the top 3, then you do whatever is best for the team going forward. I doubt Hextall would trade that pick though.

Unless we pull out 5% odds in the draft we better just figure that we are in 8th pick range...  If we win out more than we thought maybe we drop to 10-11 pick and if we suck as bad as we might then 5-6 ish. Either way, its gonna be a good pick.

Archived