Cool way to visualize NHL Team Chemistry

hf101

@hf101

That IS pretty neat.

While I am sure it is far from fool proof scientific, it is interesting nonetheless, and I decided to test it out using the Tampa Bay Lightning, and whaddya know, the 'links' that showed which players on the Bolts had the best production chemistry with other players gelled pretty well with what I always thought the better pairings/linemates would be.

For instance, Tyler Johnson has a HEAVY production bond with Ondrej Palat and Nikita Kucherov. Not surprising, since not only do those guys play regularly together, but they are PRODUCING together.

And while all three obviously do well together, it was interesting to note that it was Palat, not Johnson or Kucherov, who seemed to be able to share almost as strong a bond when 'linking' with other players on the team, from the defense, to the forward units, which leads to a little morsel I've always felt was true: While Palat is MOST successful with Johnson and Kucherov, put him with anyone, and he will either adapt to them as well, or they will adapt to him, and he will continue to produce.

Guys like Steven Stamkos and Valtteri Filppula have their links spread out...which sorta says they are the guys that help make their lines 'go' the most and can work with just about anyone you put on the line with them....a surefire mark of a good player: the ability to raise the level of play of your linemates.

And finally, I took a look at Jonathan Drouin, and well, while he obviously has not had the kind of production of a Stamkos, his link patterns are eerily similar....though with less volume.

Which may point to the fact that as he gets better, he may very well be like Stamkos in the sense that no matter who you put with him, production will come, not only from him, but whomever he plays with will benefit as well.

About the only downside I could see to these charts are the fact I had to consciously keep myself from saying things like "Duuude", "preeeettty colorrrssss", and "Pass it down maaaan".

Other than that, like I said, a nice little abstract exercise.  :D

Archived