The Decline Of Dany Heatley

JagerMeister

Sad really, never seen a superstar player decline so fast. He started to decline right after his last 100 point season but now its to the point that he has 3 points in 16 games...in the AHL.

So, was his decline because of the accident maybe? is it something pyschological or maybe he was never a superstar player in the first place and was surrounded by really good players (Spezza and Alfredsson).

What do you think?

Sad really, never seen a superstar player decline so fast. He started to decline right after his last 100 point season but now its to the point that he has 3 points in 16 games...in the AHL.

So, was his decline because of the accident maybe? is it something pyschological or maybe he was never a superstar player in the first place and was surrounded by really good players (Spezza and Alfredsson).

What do you think?

I'm sure the death of his buddy Dan Snyder weighted heavily on him ever since it happened...and i believe it has a lot to do with it, along with tearing his knee up.

Snyder's death may weigh on him, but it never seemed to have impacted his productivity before. If I were to offer some suggestions to explain Heatley's decline:

-He's on the wrong side of 30.

-He's had long term major issues with his groin (repeatedly on IR, surgeries, etc) since his rookie year, as well as tearing his ACL.

-He was never a plus skater to begin with, so those types of lower body injuries would significantly impact his ability to produce in a league which has only gotten faster and faster during the time of his career.

Snyder's death may weigh on him, but it never seemed to have impacted his productivity before. If I were to offer some suggestions to explain Heatley's decline:

-He's on the wrong side of 30.

-He's had long term major issues with his groin (repeatedly on IR, surgeries, etc) since his rookie year, as well as tearing his ACL.

-He was never a plus skater to begin with, so those types of lower body injuries would significantly impact his ability to produce in a league which has only gotten faster and faster during the time of his career.

Damned good take on Heatley right here.

I was trying to come up with a reason why I think Heatley has become what he has, but I think this is pretty much what was in my brain.

Good post.

Archived