Should the Stars trade Jason Spezza?

yave1964

463909986-jason-spezza-of-the-dallas-sta

The Dallas Stars entered this season with high hopes and great expectations, after a playoff year last season they went out and signed Alex Hemsky and traded for Jason Spezza to give them an envious second line, to go along with the top line anchored by Benn and Seguin. Many people picked the Stars to be a top contender in the West. It has not worked out.

Hemsky has been awful. The kids have stagnated or regressed. And the defense is indefensible.

Daley, Goligoski and rookie Klingberg have all had moments as offensive d-men, but nobody on the blue line moves bodies or blocks shots, protecting the overrated Lehtonen in net. Giving Jim Nill credit, he has tinkered, adding Demers from San Jose who has been meh, bringing in defensive forward Moen who has shown little, David Schlemko from Arizona has shown why he was let go by one of the only two teams worse on defense than the Stars and new goalie Jhonas Enroth who came over from Buffalo gave up six goals last night. In one period.

The team has given up 18 goals in the past three games, they are the third highest scoring team in the league but 11th in the West with their chances sinking fast. So it brings up my question:

Should the Stars trade Jason Spezza at or before the deadline to attempt to fix the problems on defense?

Spezza has delivered, after a slow start he has 50 points in 60 games and has been a good soldier. The Stars biggest problems are:

No defense

Young forwards such as Roussel, Garbut, Scevior and Eakin have been given chances and have not taken advantage

Veteran forwards such as Cole and Hemsky have either too little left in the tank or are disinterested.

Trading Spezza should only be done if it can net a top pair defenseman who plays defense. I love Klingberg and like Daley and Goligoski, but they play defense like it is an all star game. I watched the Wings and Stars the other night, the Wings are not known for their physical play but we simply bullied the Stars back end, pushing in on net and the shell shocked Kari Lehtonen. The Stars need a d-man who has  a nasty streak and moves bodies and pucks from in front of the goaltender. If all they can net for Spezza is draft picks or long term prospects i would pass, keep him because he is having a good year and is not part of the problem.

Teams/players I would be discussing if I were Jim Nill include Boston (provided that the Bruins will still talk to him after the Seguin deal) with Spezza going to Boston for a medium forward and a top young d-man, Toronto who would have to consider it a PR coup if they can add former Senator Spezza and have the young defenseman to deal if they are looking to blow it up and start over, Winnipeg who has defense to burn and need a top six forward with Perreault going down and possibly Calgary. Like I said, I would keep him if all it could net is picks, but if he can get that blueliner who understands what that entails I think it has to be done.

but nobody on the blue line moves bodies or blocks shots

My Flyers can always trade they GrossmanN back...he could be a nice depth guy on the bottom pair just for what you mentioned he does well.

Didn't they just resign Spezza this year???

Their blueline could look like this....

Daley- Goligoski

Klingberg-Demers

Benn- GrossmanN

------------------

Oleksiak- Jokipakka

Schlemko 

Not bad for some depth....GrossmanN can replace what Nemeth was suppose to add.

I'd take a 3rd or 4th for GrossmanN.

Edit: Ok as far as i can tell Spezza is signed for 7.5mill through 2018....so i can't see anyone take that on unless someone takes a bad contract back maybe????

Their blueline could look like this....

Daley- Goligoski

Klingberg-Demers

Benn- GrossmanN

------------------

Oleksiak- Jokipakka

Schlemko 

Not bad for some depth....GrossmanN can replace what Nemeth was suppose to add.

I'd take a 3rd or 4th for GrossmanN.

Edit: Ok as far as i can tell Spezza is signed for 7.5mill through 2018....so i can't see anyone take that on unless someone takes a bad contract back maybe????

Yes, they resigned him to a big contract, a deal that i was reading on another forum was Spezza for Phaneuf and Reimer, salary matches well and it gives the two teams what they need. I know Phaneuf is becoming a bit of a joke and taking most the blame for the Leafs problems but he is rugged in front of his net, the Leafs need a number one center and Reimer needs a change. It makes some sense.

a deal that i was reading on another forum was Spezza for Phaneuf and Reimer, salary matches well and it gives the two teams what they need.

Hhhhhmmmm that isn't a bad trade off....Spezza would be a center they could use however 2nd line center maybe over his head right now but for the Leafs they would more than likely take it.

Hhhhhmmmm that isn't a bad trade off....Spezza would be a center they could use however 2nd line center maybe over his head right now but for the Leafs they would more than likely take it.

Like I said I like Phaneuf, he is overpaid on a team that is underacheiving and thus is given the brunt of the blame for the teams poor play but really, he hits people, has a nasty streak and would be miles better than anyone Dallas has at moving bodies. Spezza would be an Ontario Coup for the Leafs, picking up the much needed center and sticking it to the Sens in the process and getting rid of Phaneufs contract. Really a good deal for both which is why it likely wont get done, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

463909986-jason-spezza-of-the-dallas-staDealing Spezza away will not fix the prob. Spezza still has some good years ahead. I think trading Spezza away to get some better D would be a big gamble. I think taking Spezza away from the equation is also taking numbers away from Benn, Seguin and the PP. I agree with the problem being the D but it's also the goaltending. I'm not sure what has happened to Lehtonen but he has lost his confidence and Enroth isn't going to take the team far. I think they need some goaltending. Defenseman definitely would help too. I don't think they need the stand out D-man. They need a stay at home Vet that can be a leader. Klingberg and Jokipakka are young. They'll come around. Spezza might raise some ears for some GM's but I really do think it would affect the team more with his departure than bringing in potentially better D. Tough topic.

The Dallas Stars entered this season with high hopes and great expectations, after a playoff year last season they went out and signed Alex Hemsky and traded for Jason Spezza to give them an envious second line, to go along with the top line anchored by Benn and Seguin. Many people picked the Stars to be a top contender in the West. It has not worked out.

Hemsky has been awful. The kids have stagnated or regressed. And the defense is indefensible.

Daley, Goligoski and rookie Klingberg have all had moments as offensive d-men, but nobody on the blue line moves bodies or blocks shots, protecting the overrated Lehtonen in net. Giving Jim Nill credit, he has tinkered, adding Demers from San Jose who has been meh, bringing in defensive forward Moen who has shown little, David Schlemko from Arizona has shown why he was let go by one of the only two teams worse on defense than the Stars and new goalie Jhonas Enroth who came over from Buffalo gave up six goals last night. In one period.

The team has given up 18 goals in the past three games, they are the third highest scoring team in the league but 11th in the West with their chances sinking fast. So it brings up my question:

Should the Stars trade Jason Spezza at or before the deadline to attempt to fix the problems on defense?

Spezza has delivered, after a slow start he has 50 points in 60 games and has been a good soldier. The Stars biggest problems are:

No defense

Young forwards such as Roussel, Garbut, Scevior and Eakin have been given chances and have not taken advantage

Veteran forwards such as Cole and Hemsky have either too little left in the tank or are disinterested.

Trading Spezza should only be done if it can net a top pair defenseman who plays defense. I love Klingberg and like Daley and Goligoski, but they play defense like it is an all star game. I watched the Wings and Stars the other night, the Wings are not known for their physical play but we simply bullied the Stars back end, pushing in on net and the shell shocked Kari Lehtonen. The Stars need a d-man who has  a nasty streak and moves bodies and pucks from in front of the goaltender. If all they can net for Spezza is draft picks or long term prospects i would pass, keep him because he is having a good year and is not part of the problem.

Teams/players I would be discussing if I were Jim Nill include Boston (provided that the Bruins will still talk to him after the Seguin deal) with Spezza going to Boston for a medium forward and a top young d-man, Toronto who would have to consider it a PR coup if they can add former Senator Spezza and have the young defenseman to deal if they are looking to blow it up and start over, Winnipeg who has defense to burn and need a top six forward with Perreault going down and possibly Calgary. Like I said, I would keep him if all it could net is picks, but if he can get that blueliner who understands what that entails I think it has to be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said I like Phaneuf, he is overpaid on a team that is underacheiving and thus is given the brunt of the blame for the teams poor play but really, he hits people, has a nasty streak and would be miles better than anyone Dallas has at moving bodies. Spezza would be an Ontario Coup for the Leafs, picking up the much needed center and sticking it to the Sens in the process and getting rid of Phaneufs contract. Really a good deal for both which is why it likely wont get done, lol.

LOL. Just reading some old posts..... :lol: Why on earth would Dallas even consider trading Spezza for Phaneuf and Reimer? 

Spezza for Kessel might be doable, but Reimer has no value and Phaneuf isn't worth more than a checking line center at this point with the way he's been playing. :o

@WordsOfWisdom

As a fan of a team with Ray Emery as backup (good guy, injuries took their toll) I'd say Reimer has value as a backup. May not be a lot, but its something. And I'd rather trade you that something than whatever it is for Kessel.

How about Kessel, Phaneuf, and Reimer for Seguin?   :)

Archived