Habs Pick Up Smith-Pelly. Send Jiri Sekac to Ducks

devantesmithpelly.jpg?w=320

Looks like the Canadiens have gotten a bit bigger and tougher up front.

I don't know very much about Jiri Sekac, but I have admired Devante Smith-Pelly's play and long term potential from afar, even going so far as to imagine the big forward possibly playing for either the Wild or Lightning.

If anyone can tell me about what Anaheim may see in Jiri Sekac, I'd like to hear, but from my perspective, the Habs did very well here and got themselves a big young player with skill, who will add physicality to their playoff run, and who could possibly be a solid 2nd line power forward down the road.

From CBC Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canadiens-acquire-devante-smith-pelly-for-jiri-sekac-1.2969206

From NBC Sports:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/24/trade-habs-get-smith-pelly-from-ducks-for-sekac/

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Kind of a strange trade to me.

Montreal signed Sekac from the KHL and coach Therien has been fit to be tied trying to find a role for him, he is a Euro like Brunner and others of his ilk who come over and cannot find a role. Therien usually does a decent job of finding a way of playing the cards he is dealt, he seems exasperated with Sekac who is enormously talented but cannot fit in. Apparently he just gave up.

Smith-Pelly is talented in a bottom six loves to hit kind of way. Not a lot of fighting, more of the modern tough guy, he hits and bangs but don't fight a lot. He is a perfectly type cast for what the Habs need.

If Boudreau can figure out what to do with Sekac Anaheim wins the deal talent wise, but so far he has had about a million players who he cannot sort out, he is in my opinion just one more in the mix until proven different.

I think Montreal, by clearing out a player who is driving his coach nuts and adding a player who loves to bang bodies around and can score a bit wins the deal.

Anaheim, IMHO gave up on Smith-Pelly and has talent to burn that is unsorted at the forward position. Sekac might get lost int he shuffle and wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Europe at the end of the year. Montreal tried him everywhere and couldn't figure out what they had, Boudreau hasn't exactly sorted out the rest of his boys very well.

@yave1964

Thank you very much sir for that bit of insight.

At first, my thought was that Anaheim had enough big bodies and wanted someone with speed and skill, but really, looking at the Ducks, even with the big bodies, they are far from a 'slow' team, so that really shouldn't have been an issue.

Then I was thinking salary, but both players are under $1M per and each has one year left before being an RFA, so money or cap space wasn't the issue on either side.

Which comes back to what you said: parts fitting in (in Montreal's case) and just have an excess of something and not knowing how far a player can really go (in Anaheim's case with Smith-Pelly).

I still say, at least in the short term, that Montreal 'wins' this one, as Smith-Pelly will provide them with something the Habs have traditionally lacked: a big physical presence up front, whereas Sekac, even if he is skilled, like you said, my get lot in the shuffle amongst Anaheim's many skilled forwards....and the Smith-Pelly factor may be a difference maker should the Habs meet a team like the Wings or Lightning in the first round.

Long term, I realize it's a 'who-knows' thing, but for the here and now, if I am a Habs fan, I am happy with this.

It has been suggested that this first move by Marc Bergevin of the Habs is just the beginning of a re-tool for Montreal as the team attempts to win the division and enter post season play.

As for the Anaheim fan's viewpoint, I would probably be looking at this as...'ok..now what?'

As I think Anaheim's real needs are probably a good solid defensive defenseman and maybe, just maybe, an experienced goaltender.

I think it's a minor trade.  Montreal traded away a skilled prospect for a prospect with more grit.  

Montreal's Gallagher is high on Smith-Pelly.  

Canadiens got a 3rd-4th liner who can hit.  Ducks got a 3rd-4th liner, under-achiever finesse guy.

Both teams made out, but Montreal did better.

But, not much improvement for either.    

ong term, I realize it's a 'who-knows' thing, but for the here and now, if I am a Habs fan, I am happy with this.

Yep, Habs took a piece that did not fit and turned it into a valuable commodity. I know Smith-Pelley has moved around the Ducks line-up lately, but when he was dealt, Devante was playing on the 2nd line with Kesler....*although* looking back in retrospect, they could have been showcasing him, showing that he does have the talent to be a top 6 forward. Smith-Pelley is like a talented version of Raffi Torres, minus the cheap shots. He has decent hands for big body. He should fit in nicely with the Habs. Just a thought, but how about putting DSP on a line with Lars Eller.....Eller's offense could use a kick start and DSP is also capable of creating more room for Lars.....something that the Eller line has been lacking of late. I could just as easily see DSP being thrown in with Max P. line, that would be an interesting configuration.

I think it's a minor trade.  Montreal traded away a skilled prospect for a prospect with more grit.  

Montreal's Gallagher is high on Smith-Pelly.  

Canadiens got a 3rd-4th liner who can hit.  Ducks got a 3rd-4th liner, under-achiever finesse guy.

Both teams made out, but Montreal did better.

But, not much improvement for either.    

Not so sure I'd call this a 'minor trade'.

We are talking about two 22 yr olds with skill who simply have not found their 'spot' with the teams they were with.

Sure, both could turn out to be average NHL'ers, but still, when you are talking about two young players whom everyone seems to agree have NHL level skill, I'd say its a bit more than 'minor'....particularly looking beyond this season.

Smith-Pelly showed he can play very well against heavy type teams in the playoffs last year, and has always shown a scoring touch even before he reached the NHL.

He will have much work to do to replicate any of the offense he produced in Juniors and the American league, but he seems to have the tool set to do so.

Even if he never turns out to be first line material, I think he rates better than 4th line material....like I said before, potential 2nd line guy.

Was listening to EJ Hradek talk about Sekac today, and he was saying he could find his game playing alongside Perry and Getzlaf in Anaheim, as the Ducks have not found a regular guy to play with those two.

Was listening to EJ Hradek talk about Sekac today, and he was saying he could find his game playing alongside Perry and Getzlaf in Anaheim, as the Ducks have not found a regular guy to play with those two.

I dunno about that. I think Pat Maroon has been doing a decent job on the top line with Gertz and Cory. He's not filling the net by any means, but he is contributing offensively and just as important, his big frame helps create breathing room for the two stars. He is very hard to move in front of the net, and he tends to draw a crowd, cause one on one...it better be Chara from 5 years ago.....if not, he will screen the goalie and create havoc.

I dunno about that. I think Pat Maroon has been doing a decent job on the top line with Gertz and Cory. He's not filling the net by any means, but he is contributing offensively and just as important, his big frame helps create breathing room for the two stars. He is very hard to move in front of the net, and he tends to draw a crowd, cause one on one...it better be Chara from 5 years ago.....if not, he will screen the goalie and create havoc.

The guys at NHL Network did talk about Maroon being a semi regular with Perry and Getzlaf, but I got the distinct impression from them that they thought the coaching staff, while liking Maroon's large presence, would prefer someone with better skill playing alongside Anaheim's big two.

It's not like Perry and Getzlaf are gnome hockey players....they can make plenty room for themselves just fine...   ;)

Of course, whether Jiri Sekac is that guy will remain to be seen.

Archived