Ticket sales or lack there of?

Old School Hockey

This is nothing new.    Ted Leonis has been doing this for years to Pens fans trying to buy tickets to caps games because the games were sounding like home games for the Pens.   He prevented anyone from the 412 area code from purchasing tickets by phone. This is not about fairness, lockouts or whatever.  This is about the home team trying to protect its arena from an invasion of loyal visiting teams.  If they weren't selling out, and losing money, they'd soon change their minds.

This.  If the Bolts and Preds weren't drawing so well this would be a bad business move but since they both are among the better franchises when it comes to attendance - good for them.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be taking it a bit too far?

The Nashville Predators are going through painstaking measures to keep Blackhawks fans out of Bridgestone Arena for the opening round, including threatening fans who purchase tickets on the secondary market with added validation measures that will keep them out of the games. Fearful that’s not far enough, the team is now saying it will arrest any fan who dares enter the Preds’ rink wearing Blackhawks gear.

“Ya’ll think ya’ll can just come in our town, drink our beer, dance at our honky-tonks and cheer for your Blackhawks like ya’ll was at ya’lls stadium,” said Predators PR manager Bubby Brisco, Jr. “But let me tell ya’ll something: That ain’t how it’s gonna be.”

This might be taking it a bit too far?

The Nashville Predators are going through painstaking measures to keep Blackhawks fans out of Bridgestone Arena for the opening round, including threatening fans who purchase tickets on the secondary market with added validation measures that will keep them out of the games. Fearful that’s not far enough, the team is now saying it will arrest any fan who dares enter the Preds’ rink wearing Blackhawks gear.

“Ya’ll think ya’ll can just come in our town, drink our beer, dance at our honky-tonks and cheer for your Blackhawks like ya’ll was at ya’lls stadium,” said Predators PR manager Bubby Brisco, Jr. “But let me tell ya’ll something: That ain’t how it’s gonna be.”

LOL, and WHERE, pray tell, did you read this from?

So we've lost MANY games due to lockouts.  So now two teams that depend on revenue sharing have attempted to block the visting teams fans from buying their tickets!!!!!!

How can this be allowed by Gary and Co?

To get things back on track, I'm assuming your argument is this:

P1. There are some teams in the NHL that rely on revenue sharing.

P2. Fans of teams that pay into revenue sharing are supporting the teams receiving revenue sharing money.

P3. If you support a team that pays into revenue sharing, then you should be allowed to attend the games of your home team and any games of teams receiving RS support. [implied]

C. Fans of teams that rely on revenue sharing should not be preventing visiting team's fans from buying their tickets, if those fans are the home fans of a team paying into revenue sharing.

Was I close?  :confused[1]:  :D

The Lightning do not have any followers to speak of. Just sayin.

I know it's fashionable amongst the "hockey cogniscenti" to allege that teams like Tampa and Nashville "have no fans" but the numbers - reality - simply doesn't support the contention.

Tampa is ninth in the league in attendance. That simply can't be all "fans of other teams" in Florida. They play in the same division with Florida - are they besieged by the Panther hordes driving up from Miami?

They draw about 1,200 per game less than Detroit. Their arena holds about 900 less than Detroit.

Tampa has drawn more fans than the New York Rangers in each of the past four years.

This season they are also ahead of Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Boston. Three franchises that apparently "have no followers"?

Lastly, does anyone really believe that a team "in financial difficulty" would be restricting sales to their playoff games if they thought they couldn't sell out the building to their own fanbase?

For me, the entire idea simply doesn't hold water.

To be clear, I think it's a stupid rule, but I don't own myself a NHL hockey franchise...

Archived