Ticket sales or lack there of?

Old School Hockey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we've lost MANY games due to lockouts.  So now two teams that depend on revenue sharing have attempted to block the visting teams fans from buying their tickets!!!!!!

How can this be allowed by Gary and Co?

What does any of this have to do with lockouts though?

Sounds like the assumption is being made those tickets WON'T be sold otherwise.

They will be. It's the playoffs....and the two teams in question, if we are talking about the same two (Tampa Bay and Nashville) have done well at the gate anyways...and have for a while.....but are doing what they are doing so that it is easier for THEIR fans to get to the tickets first, before the sizable fanbase of both the Red Wings and Blackhawks can take over the building.

They are trying to create a more 'friendly home ice' atmosphere for the home team. Nothing wrong with that.

Wings and Hawks both have long, successful histories...fans all over, transplants, converted fans, etc.  Preds and Lightning haven't been around, nor have had the success (not even close) of those two original six teams.

So those teams are doing what is best for business and best for their fans and teams and trying to make it just a tad more difficult for the visiting fans to get in before the home fans.

Again...nothing wrong with that. Pushing your own team to the forefront is what they are doing for the big stage of the playoffs. It's one of the ways a still fledgeling team manages to stay in the spotlight in the wake of ultra popular teams like the Wings and Hawks.

That all said, you can bet visiting fans will STILL find their way in large numbers in both Nashville and Tampa.

That's just the way it is.

It's just, with limiting ticket sales a certain way, each franchise is trying to give a bit of an advantage to the home fans.

I don't see a problem.

What does any of this have to do with lockouts though?

Sounds like the assumption is being made those tickets WON'T be sold otherwise.

They will be. It's the playoffs....and the two teams in question, if we are talking about the same two (Tampa Bay and Nashville) have done well at the gate anyways...and have for a while.....but are doing what they are doing so that it is easier for THEIR fans to get to the tickets first, before the sizable fanbase of both the Red Wings and Blackhawks can take over the building.

They are trying to create a more 'friendly home ice' atmosphere for the home team. Nothing wrong with that.

Wings and Hawks both have long, successful histories...fans all over, transplants, converted fans, etc.  Preds and Lightning haven't been around, nor have had the success (not even close) of those two original six teams.

So those teams are doing what is best for business and best for their fans and teams and trying to make it just a tad more difficult for the visiting fans to get in before the home fans.

Again...nothing wrong with that. Pushing your own team to the forefront is what they are doing for the big stage of the playoffs. It's one of the ways a still fledgeling team manages to stay in the spotlight in the wake of ultra popular teams like the Wings and Hawks.

That all said, you can bet visiting fans will STILL find their way in large numbers in both Nashville and Tampa.

That's just the way it is.

It's just, with limiting ticket sales a certain way, each franchise is trying to give a bit of an advantage to the home fans.

I don't see a problem.

I'm not going to get into big debate with you.  But the lockouts were 100% about the Tampa Bay's and Nashville's of the NHL.

I'm not going to get into big debate with you.  But the lockouts were 100% about the Tampa Bay's and Nashville's of the NHL.

Ok...no need really to get into a big debate. Not really what I was looking for either...just thought I would post my view on what your thread was asking about.

But, just sayin, ANYONE can post something (for instance......it is the fault of the Flyers and the Maple Leafs that GM's go around handing out bad contracts and screwing up the markets for everyone else), then just leave it at that and not give a reason why.

Makes no sense for me to say something like that, but just sayin, I CAN say it if I wanted to, have no basis for it whatsoever, and if pressed, I can just sit and say "I am not getting into a big debate, but that is how it is."

Your prerogative to believe what you like about lockouts and how they correspond to teams limiting ticket sales to their fanbase first, but it just wouldn't make any sense to me either.

Ok...no need really to get into a big debate. Not really what I was looking for either...just thought I would post my view on what your thread was asking about.

But, just sayin, ANYONE can post something (for instance......it is the fault of the Flyers and the Maple Leafs that GM's go around handing out bad contracts and screwing up the markets for everyone else), then just leave it at that and not give a reason why.

Makes no sense for me to say something like that, but just sayin, I CAN say it if I wanted to, have no basis for it whatsoever, and if pressed, I can just sit and say "I am not getting into a big debate, but that is how it is."

Your prerogative to believe what you like about lockouts and how they correspond to teams limiting ticket sales to their fanbase first, but it just wouldn't make any sense to me either.

The point is very simple!  Teams that survive only via revenue sharing should NOT be limiting ticket sales to ANYONE.

BTW the Flyers and Maple Leafs are BIG contributers to the NHL RS (or as I like to call it sports welfare).

The point is very simple!  Teams that survive only via revenue sharing should NOT be limiting ticket sales to ANYONE.

BTW the Flyers and Maple Leafs are BIG contributers to the NHL RS (or as I like to call it sports welfare).

Ok, well, again, since the Tampa Bay and Nashville markets are no where near the size of that of the Blackhawks, Wings, Leafs, Fyers, etc, then yes, they do get help from revenue sharing....but that doesn't make them BAD fanbases...just not as large.

And the whole idea of revenue sharing is exactly FOR that sort of thing...to help franchises who have not acheived the levels of success as the original six ones for instance, but still are growing and can soon contribute on their own down the line.

But that has NOTHING to do with a franchise limiting ticket sales.

Two TOTALLY different items on the docket, totally unrelated reasoning behind them, IMO, and once again...the limiting tickets is being done to give a leg up for the home fans, although STILL, the visiting fans will find ways to buy and get into the building.

No--big--deal.

If a smaller fanbase such as TB or Nsh DIDNT' do things like this and things were made all too easy (they are still rather easy for the visitors, you can bet on that), then home games for those smaller franchises become undisputed home games for the VISITORS, the fewer home fans that DO manage to grab tickets and show up for games can get a bit disheartened and the growth of that fanbase can possibly be stunted.....leading to MORE years where that small fanbase would have to rely on your vaunted revenue sharing...and leading MORE fans such as yourself to continue to gripe about those teams STILL relying on revenue sharing more than others.

It can get into a vicious cycle.

But all that is hearsay.

Bottom line is, all the 'ticket limitng' is doing is to try to get the home fans in there before the visitors do by giving the visiting fans an extra hurdle for them to get to their tickets...and also have the building fill up as much as possible with the home fans and colors.

Nothing more, nothing less.......and the ticket strategy has NOTHING to do with lockouts.

Go through the reasons, the arguments, the main issues of the lockouts from the perspective of owners and players and I am willing to bet a team that occasionally limits ticket sales around playoff time is NOT anywhere near top of the list as a "problem".

Ok, well, again, since the Tampa Bay and Nashville markets are no where near the size of that of the Blackhawks, Wings, Leafs, Fyers, etc, then yes, they do get help from revenue sharing....but that doesn't make them BAD fanbases...just not as large.

And the whole idea of revenue sharing is exactly FOR that sort of thing...to help franchises who have not acheived the levels of success as the original six ones for instance, but still are growing and can soon contribute on their own down the line.

But that has NOTHING to do with a franchise limiting ticket sales.

Two TOTALLY different items on the docket, totally unrelated reasoning behind them, IMO, and once again...the limiting tickets is being done to give a leg up for the home fans, although STILL, the visiting fans will find ways to buy and get into the building.

No--big--deal.

If a smaller fanbase such as TB or Nsh DIDNT' do things like this and things were made all too easy (they are still rather easy for the visitors, you can bet on that), then home games for those smaller franchises become undisputed home games for the VISITORS, the fewer home fans that DO manage to grab tickets and show up for games can get a bit disheartened and the growth of that fanbase can possibly be stunted.....leading to MORE years where that small fanbase would have to rely on your vaunted revenue sharing...and leading MORE fans such as yourself to continue to gripe about those teams STILL relying on revenue sharing more than others.

It can get into a vicious cycle.

But all that is hearsay.

Bottom line is, all the 'ticket limitng' is doing is to try to get the home fans in there before the visitors do by giving the visiting fans an extra hurdle for them to get to their tickets...and also have the building fill up as much as possible with the home fans and colors.

Nothing more, nothing less.......and the ticket strategy has NOTHING to do with lockouts.

Go through the reasons, the arguments, the main issues of the lockouts from the perspective of owners and players and I am willing to bet a team that occasionally limits ticket sales around playoff time is NOT anywhere near top of the list as a "problem".

Remember this is the SAME Nashville team that bought their own tickets to meet RS requirements.

Last year Tampa was 10th in the league. The year before 8th.

Nashville hasn't been below 95% building capacity since 10-11 - when they were 94.3%.

The most successful sports league on the planet (NFL) has revenue sharing.

Remember this is the SAME Nashville team that bought their own tickets to meet RS requirements.

Ummm, no I DON'T remember.

Not saying that it didn't happen, but I don't remember that.

Ok...so Nashville did some shady stuff then?

I will take your word on that, being MUCH more knowledgeable on that situation than I.

Because teams like the Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, Hawks or any other large fanbased team would NEVER stoop to shady dealings.......ever! :ph34r:

That was that, and limiting ticket sales is a completely different thing, done for a different reason (from what I can tell anyways), and teams limiting ticket sales this playoff season STILL, IMO, have NOTHING to do with the flippin lockouts.  :lol:

Last year Tampa was 10th in the league. The year before 8th.

Nashville hasn't been below 95% building capacity since 10-11 - when they were 94.3%.

The most successful sports league on the planet (NFL) has revenue sharing.

And the biggest TV contract and is NOT dependent on 6 franchises to subsidize it's league.

And the biggest TV contract and is NOT dependent on 6 franchises to subsidize the it's league.

Yes, but the numbers simply don't support your "lack thereof" in the ticket sales department.

Nashville is 98% sold and Tampa is the 9th highest draw in the league.

"Revenue sharing" isn't the problem. Location of teams in places like Miami and Carolina is.

I'd rather that they move (at least) one of them to the West instead of expansion, but it appears that we're getting two more teams.

All of this was hashed out in the CBA agreements, which were demanded by the owners who are doing the sharing. If the owners of the teams don't want revenue sharing, they wouldn't have it.

They do. Because revenue sharing - be it in the NFL, MLB, EPL or whatever - is a standard part of successful sports leagues.

Yes, but the numbers simply don't support your "lack thereof" in the ticket sales department.

Nashville is 98% sold and Tampa is the 9th highest draw in the league.

"Revenue sharing" isn't the problem. Location of teams in places like Miami and Carolina is.

I'd rather that they move (at least) one of them to the West instead of expansion, but it appears that we're getting two more teams.

All of this was hashed out in the CBA agreements, which were demanded by the owners who are doing the sharing. If the owners of the teams don't want revenue sharing, they wouldn't have it.

They do. Because revenue sharing - be it in the NFL, MLB, EPL or whatever - is a standard part of successful sports leagues.

Time to agree to disagree.  I think it's WRONG to limit your sales to whom, while collecting RS that comes from the VERY people you're turning away.

Has nothing to do with fan base size of the opponent. They did the same thing to Pens fans a few years ago. Just a shady business practice. I don't care who is doing it, if fans want to travel to see a game they should be able to. It's best for the league.

Time to agree to disagree.  I think it's WRONG to limit your sales to whom, while collecting RS that comes from the VERY people you're turning away.

But its THEIR tickets...they can sell them to whomever they want.

If the Lightning want to have an ENTIRE audience of people from Zimbabwe on hand and have 'African Mask Night' as a way to be different this playoff season, then they can bloody hell do it if they want!

Whether it makes sense to anyone else or not!  Whether it's shady or not! :D

They aren't turning ANYONE away......I already explained, that based on what I have read on this, things like this are being done to help get a larger portion of the audience on hand, for continental televised games, cheering for the HOME squad.....because (and this is a nod to how great and rabid fans of the Wings and Hawks are) those fans DO travel well and WILL absolutely take over as visitors the home building if allowed to simply do so.

And for the umpteenth time, MANY of those fans are getting in Amalie in Tampa and Bridgestone in Nashville ANYWAYS.....by hook or crook...they are gonna get in.

All that is being done, is the home franchise is doing what they think is best to try and limit them over the home fans.

Hey, I understand there are is an Elvis Impersonator Federation that wants in to the next round of the playoffs if the Preds make it......if Nashville wants to promote Elvi and Music City and just limit ticket sales to Elvis impersonators, they are in their right to do so....although, I am pretty sure Jerry Lee Lewis impersonators would still find their way into the building........................... ;)

But its THEIR tickets...they can sell them to whomever they want.

If the Lightning want to have an ENTIRE audience of people from Zimbabwe on hand and have 'African Mask Night' as a way to be different this playoff season, then they can bloody hell do it if they want!

Whether it makes sense to anyone else or not!  Whether it's shady or not! :D

They aren't turning ANYONE away......I already explained, that based on what I have read on this, things like this are being done to help get a larger portion of the audience on hand, for continental televised games, cheering for the HOME squad.....because (and this is a nod to how great and rabid fans of the Wings and Hawks are) those fans DO travel well and WILL absolutely take over as visitors the home building if allowed to simply do so.

And for the umpteenth time, MANY of those fans are getting in Amalie in Tampa and Bridgestone in Nashville ANYWAYS.....by hook or crook...they are gonna get in.

All that is being done, is the home franchise is doing what they think is best to try and limit them over the home fans.

Hey, I understand there are is an Elvis Impersonator Federation that wants in to the next round of the playoffs if the Preds make it......if Nashville wants to promote Elvi and Music City and just limit ticket sales to Elvis impersonators, they are in their right to do so....although, I am pretty sure Jerry Lee Lewis impersonators would still find their way into the building........................... ;)

Why announce it?  Just do it and keep the ME'S of this mess unknowning of the crap.

And the biggest TV contract and is NOT dependent on 6 franchises to subsidize it's league.

That solves it then. We'll contract the NHL to those six financially stable teams, eliminate 75% of the viewing public, watch the new 6-team league sign a "record" TV deal with Oprah's network and then fold in 2 years.  :ph34r:

Who cares?  If they sell out I call that smart marketing.  If they don't sell out then it's bad business. This happens in all sports.  The Browns and Bengals do this to the Steelers all the time. 

That solves it then. We'll contract the NHL to those six financially stable teams, eliminate 75% of the viewing public, watch the new 6-team league sign a "record" TV deal with Oprah's network and then fold in 2 years.  :ph34r:

There we go... @B21 the answer man. Consider it solved!  :lol:

Why announce it?  Just do it and keep the ME'S of this mess unknowning of the crap.

Are you kidding me!?

In this day and age of information technology, the internet, social media, etc....do you REALLY think something like that would STAY hidden even if the team attempted that??

Let's say a team attempts to do their ticket sales this way...it already will peeve outsider fans off as it is...but then, the franchise tries to keep things 'hush hush'...they are found out (and they WILL be found out), THEN it looks like they were trying some super, illegal, shameful thing, going about things like thieves in the night all sneaky, got caught, and now have to answer a bunch of PR questions and go about putting out fires in the media.

No.

They decided they want to do ticket sales this way, made an announcement for transparency sake and basically said, "Look, this is what we are doing.....sorry if it upsets fans outside the fanbase, but that is that".

Up front, nothing being hidden...nothing for internet know-it-alls to build a 'crusade' over.

Upsetting to the visitor fanbase?

Sure.

Should the home franchise care about that as much as what the home fanbase thinks?

Absolutely not.

They do what they gotta do.

What are we agreeing to disagree on? The facts are the facts and the facts are that Tampa is 9th in the league in attendance and Nashville is 98% sold out.

You can "disagree" with that all you like. It doesn't make it any different. It blows your whole premise of the thread - "ticket sales or lack thereof" - right out of the water.

As for limiting sales, it's not just hockey and it's not just "bad" teams that do it. The Washington Baseball Nationals did exactly this several times - generally to avoid being swamped by Philadelphia fans.

I thought the whole "no opposing team logos in the lounge" that Tampa is apparently doing is absurd. But as TFG notes, if they sell out - why should they care?

And if what they are doing enables them to grow a fanbase and not need revenue sharing - what's the problem with that?

What are we agreeing to disagree on? The facts are the facts and the facts are that Tampa is 9th in the league in attendance and Nashville is 98% sold out.

You can "disagree" with that all you like. It doesn't make it any different. It blows your whole premise of the thread - "ticket sales or lack thereof" - right out of the water.

As for limiting sales, it's not just hockey and it's not just "bad" teams that do it. The Washington Baseball Nationals did exactly this several times - generally to avoid being swamped by Philadelphia fans.

I thought the whole "no opposing team logos in the lounge" that Tampa is apparently doing is absurd. But as TFG notes, if they sell out - why should they care?

And if what they are doing enables them to grow a fanbase and not need revenue sharing - what's the problem with that?

See now THIS I can agree with.

As much as I love my Lightning, this part I do take umbrage with them doing.

A franchise can sell its tickets any way they like to whomever they like, but telling people what they can and cant' wear (outside of anything obscene perhaps) smacks a bit of fascism.

I agree with the Bolts limiting ticket sales to their fanbase (as best they can anyways), but I am a bit saddened for my own team that they took that extra step and are telling fans what they can and can't wear in the lounge areas.

Bolts can put up all the hurdles they want to prevent visiting fans from taking over, but if some do happen to get in (and again, it WILL), then they can wear Wings jerseys if they like.

What are they gonna do? TURN AWAY people at the door (people who have PAID tickets) if they are wearing non Lightning gear?

How about someone like me, who generally doesn't wear a shirt under my jersey.....is some female gonna be told she has to take that off and sit and watch the game in her flipping brassiere because she isn't wearing Lightning gear!?  (Easy now, you horndogs on here.... LMAO)

Shame on you Bolts for THAT part of your home ice strategy.

Kudos on the tickets, bad on the fascist dress code.

Archived