New York state of mind- Islanders year in review

yave1964

m10kB2lO9LiyuMIn_dJm4Ug.jpgPRESEASON OUTLOOK: The Isles came out of a lost season and added Halak and Chad Johnson to mind the net, and then before the year started added Leddy and Boychuk to run the back end. Lots of folks, including our own Jammer picked them to win the division or at least be a playoff team.

FINAL RECORD: 47-28-7 101 points 5th in the East

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: All year, pretty much. Boychuk was brilliant to start the year, the team got off to a hot start and stayed that way all year.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: Game 7 against the Capitals saw the end to the year, and the end to Hockey on long Island.mSKhaaDWxDF4iQ16x4XkBWg.jpg

WHAT WENT RIGHT: John Tavares (38-48-86) was brilliant, missing leading the league in scoring by one point. Kyle Okposo (51 points in  60 games was sharp as a tack when healthy. Ryan Strome (17 goals, 50 points) had a very solid first full season. Big Brock Nelson broke into the NHL with 20 goals and 42 points. Rookie Anders Lee drilled 25 goals. Josh Bailey (41 points) seemed to finally live up to the hype. Frans Nielson continued to provide veteran leadership. Leddy and ml2Sc8kdjdHg_cuO50xT5Lg.jpgBoychuk brought the back end to life. Hamonic is one of the most underrated blueliners in the game. Halak was near brilliant.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Chad Johnson was average as a backup. Veterans Kulemin, Hickey, Visnovsky and Grabovski were all letdowns. Casey Cizikas didn't do much. Clutterbuck and Grabner were a couple of vets who also were a let down.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR:  Cal Clutterbuck only netted 7 goals, but 4 of them were game winners.

UFAs:

Visnovsky

Neuvirth

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Griffin Reinhart is looking to claim a spot on the back end this coming year, and Ryan Pulock may get one as well. Two top tier back enders. Michael Del Colle will break into the pros and fight for a top nine job among the forwards. That is about it, lots of mediocre players such as Mayfield, Sundstrom, Halmo and Persson who will see ice time when others are out but other than the big three the rest are just cannon fodder.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: They have left the Island and are going to Brooklyn, the team is hoping that they will continue to build off the success of this year. The hope is that Nelson, Del Colle and Strome will find another level and that the vets get it together. After a red hot start Leddy and Boychuk both cooled off. Do you trade one of the kid forwards for a top pair d-man or do you count on Reinhart and Pulock to fill the teams biggest need?

Seems like the perfect time for the Isles to re-locate. An up and coming team, only going to get better. New York loves winners, and they will have a team they can grow with.

I'm curious should the Islanders decided to change their name, heard they're not, say to the Americans would Rochester (AHL) object? There was a New York Americans in the '30s,if they have to buy the rights to the name?

• 3 months later...

@yave1964

@jammer2

The Brandon Wheat Kings have learned that veteran defenceman Ryan Pilon has left the Western Hockey League club for personal reasons.

“Ryan came to me this week and told me that at this time he has lost his passion to play hockey and will be leaving the team,” says Brandon Coach and General Manager Kelly McCrimmon.

“We had a number of discussions, but his final decision was that this was what he felt he needed to do,” he added.

http://wheatkings.com/article/camp-opens-without-pilon

Provorov's defensive partner.

@yave1964

@jammer2

The Brandon Wheat Kings have learned that veteran defenceman Ryan Pilon has left the Western Hockey League club for personal reasons.

“Ryan came to me this week and told me that at this time he has lost his passion to play hockey and will be leaving the team,” says Brandon Coach and General Manager Kelly McCrimmon.

“We had a number of discussions, but his final decision was that this was what he felt he needed to do,” he added.

http://wheatkings.com/article/camp-opens-without-pilon

Provorov's defensive partner.

Hmmm, Curious. Pilon's name has been mentioned in different web sites lately, a bit more than you usually see for a 5th round pick still in Junior. Not certain what is going on, the Isles seem confused too from what I have read. He fell like a stone in the draft for apparently no reason, maybe we will find out why.

Hmmm, Curious. Pilon's name has been mentioned in different web sites lately, a bit more than you usually see for a 5th round pick still in Junior. Not certain what is going on, the Isles seem confused too from what I have read. He fell like a stone in the draft for apparently no reason, maybe we will find out why.

Another story on him.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/05/isles-prospect-pilon-has-lost-his-passion-to-play/

Archived