All-Time Dallas Stars Team

ScottM

Dallas-Stars.jpg

We move on to the only surviving 1967 expansion team that no longer resides in its original city: The Dallas Stars. This post includes the entire franchise history, including the Minnesota North Stars.

First Line: Jamie Benn, Mike Modano, Dino Ciccarelli

Second Line: Brian Bellows, Bobby Smith, Jere Lehtinen

Third Line: Brendan Morrow, Neal Broten, Danny Grant

Fourth Line: Dennis Hextall, Tyler Seguin, Brett Hull

First Defensive Pair: Sergei Zubov, Derian Hatcher

Second Defensive Pair: Darryl Sydor, Richard Matvichuk

Third Defensive Pair: Craig Hartsburg, Brad Maxwell

Goaltenders: Ed Belfour, Marty Turco, Jon Casey

Coach: Ken Hitchcock

Did I jump the gun on Seguin? Maybe, but wow that kid has had an impressive couple of years with Dallas. Outside of the top three guys, there wasn't anyone completely eye-popping to me, so I decided to give the benefit of the doubt to a budding star. Defense was the tough part once again. The Stars have never really been known for offensive defensemen. They've always had a lot of tough, hard-hitting stay at home guys, so stat lines don't help quite as much. No matter who I chose, though, that was going to be quite the collection of blue-liners. I debated about second vs. third line on Bellows and Morrow. I won't say my mind won't change tomorrow.

@ScottM  Don't know where I'd put them, but at least worthy of a mention are Bill Goldsworthy, Gump Worsley, J.P Praise, Tim Young, Cesar Manigeo, Dennis Maruk, Tom McCarthy, Steve Payne, Dave Gagner, Dennis Hextall, Danny Grant....when you look at it, they had a decent amount of offensive depth over the years.

@ScottM  Don't know where I'd put them, but at least worthy of a mention are Bill Goldsworthy, Gump Worsley, J.P Praise, Tim Young, Cesar Manigeo, Dennis Maruk, Tom McCarthy, Steve Payne, Dave Gagner, Dennis Hextall, Danny Grant....when you look at it, they had a decent amount of offensive depth over the years.

Well....... Hextall is there........ Lol. (Fourth Line, Left Wing)

They really have had a lot of depth. Honestly, when I look at that, it amazes me that the franchise hasn't been more successful over the years. They've had a grand total of four Finals appearances (1981, 1991, 1999, 2000) and just the one Cup. How do you have all of that greatness and not win more?

@ScottM  I think a lot of people have forgotten just how excellent Bill Goldsworthy was. He played a real nice all round game and was usually always an All Star game participant. Steve Payne scored his fair share of big goals for that franchise, as did J.P Praise. Really liked Tom McCarthy's game as well, those 4 kinda stick out as far as forwards go.

In a lot of ways, I really associate the North Stars with the Gumper, and was always a big Cesar Maniego fan as well. I would seriously looking at one of them, if not both supplanting Turco and or Casey. You can make legit claims for all 4 of them.

Goldsworthy had 5 seasons of 30+ goals for the North Stars, 31, 34, 36, 37 and topped out at 48 in 73-74. His career stats were below the point per game plateau, because he always had more goals than assists, a pure finisher was Bill.

@ScottM  I think a lot of people have forgotten just how excellent Bill Goldsworthy was. He played a real nice all round game and was usually always an All Star game participant. Steve Payne scored his fair share of big goals for that franchise, as did J.P Praise. Really liked Tom McCarthy's game as well, those 4 kinda stick out as far as forwards go.

In a lot of ways, I really associate the North Stars with the Gumper, and was always a big Cesar Maniego fan as well. I would seriously looking at one of them, if not both supplanting Turco and or Casey. You can make legit claims for all 4 of them.

When I do these, I always go to hockey-reference.com and check out the team and player pages. I find it useful for these because they have all the stats and trophy/voting information there. I open pages for different players whose position I'm considering in different tabs and compare them. I had the pages of everyone you mentioned open while looking at their positions. Goldsworthy was the toughest forward for me to leave out. I very nearly included him instead of Hull. If it hadn't been for what Hull meant to winning the Cup in '99, I probably would have.

The thing that kept Gump off of the list was the fact that he never had more than 34 games played with the North Stars in any of his four seasons. If he had been a more consistent starter, he would have certainly been on the list. I almost did give the third slot to Maniago. I ended up choosing Casey simply because I felt that he was more consistent, but yes, I agree completely that a strong case can be made for any of those four. Belfour was the only guy that I felt was clear cut among the goalies.

You need to place Goldy over both Hextall and Danny Grant.  Goldsworthy's  #8 was retired and he was a 5 time All Star, and I can't say the same for Grant or Hextall.  Grant's best season took place with Detroit.

And I think you have to add Lou Nanny to the coach / GM list.  Nanny was a part of the North Stars organization from player to manager for 20 years.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/59720-minnesota-north-stars-mvrp/

@ScottM  Interesting to hear about your decision making process on the choices and tough decisions. I love the whole thing you are doing, it promotes a lot of talk about older, sometimes forgotten players, and that is always a good thing. Only a truly addicted fan would take a stab at all 32 teams in his manner, so kudos to you!

Some other stuff in consider when it comes to Goldsworthy. He played in the All Star game 4 times, missed the end of the year "big" all star list by only 5 votes for the 2nd Right Winger. He never did the dance when he scored on the road, but at home, each and every time he scored he performed the "Goldy Shuffle"....LMAO. I tried to find video of it, but I'm coming up short, can't find it.

One more thing to take into account. Bill Goldsworthy played on one of *the* most important, influential teams of all time...the 1972 Canadian team for the "Summit Series"....not only did he play, he was on the second line, paired with Phil Esposito .....some video of Bill and Phil teaming up for a big goal in Game #6 of the Summit Series. Only the elite of the elite got a sniff of a roster spot on this team, so it speaks to highly he was held in regard back in 1972, he was one of the handful of elite goal scorers in his early North Star years.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=video+of+the+goldy+shuffle+bill+goldsworthy+&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

You guys convinced me on Goldsworthy. I still feel like Hull belongs because of his playoff performances, but now I'm questioning why I had Grant ahead of him. I think I'd now shift him up to the third line and place Goldsworthy on the fourth line for right wing.

Btw, @jammer2, this is part of my own personal learning process. I think I've come a long way in the last several months, but I still have a lot to learn about many of these players, and making these lists helps me to do so.

@ScottM

I just came here to say that I heartily approve of your new avatar. The Riders are Canada's Team!  :ph34r:

Don't you run the risk of public flogging in Manitoba by calling the Riders Canada's Team? (I'll come fight alongside you, though.)

After all the arguing I had to put up with between my friends last season, I'm not ready for the NFL or college football, but I'm starting to look forward to the CFL season.

green.png?w=584

Don't you run the risk of public flogging in Manitoba by calling the Riders Canada's Team? (I'll come fight alongside you, though.)

After all the arguing I had to put up with between my friends last season, I'm not ready for the NFL or college football, but I'm starting to look forward to the CFL season.

green.png?w=584

There's tons of Rider fans in the Peg. My dad was from Saskatoon so I have a direct connection.

You really have a serious case of Canuckism. You should just move up her already.

@ScottM

DANNY GRANT!!! mY FIRST hOCKEY HERO after he came to the Wings for Boucha!

I don't know about Maxwell, not really a fan, I actually think I would go with Trevor Daley who has been in Dallas for quite the little while now. Parise has to be in there somewhere. Other than that, love the list!

Archived