Draft Notes & Hextall

JJMason33

Just got back from Miami guys.  Man it was beautiful down there.  Just want to make a few general observations before getting to the Flyers, and Hextall in general.

FIrst, I have been to the last 3 drafts and this one was by far the worst.  The whole time down there I kept hearing how Panther fans get a bad rap, and I was thinking, maybe they do by how many people showed up.  But then Bettman got on stage and there was barely a "boo".  It made for a very boring draft not Booing Bettman and getting under his skin.  Also you should have seen the mass exodus after the 11th pick.  So shameful. I asked a season ticket holder how much he pays for season tickets... all 41 games for 2 seats are a total of 400 bucks.... OMG.

Anyway onto Hextall and the Flyers.  Right before the draft started there was a lot of scuttlebutt about the Flyers trading up to 4 to take Provorov.  I thought this would have been a huge mistake, and the fact Hextall used patience with the pick was a huge non-move and worthy of a congrats on a smart play.  They got the guy they wanted and didnt have to give anything up for him.

Then picking up Konecny was a brilliant move also.  When Boston went off the board..heck they went off the table, out of the arena, and into another state.... I was hoping Hextall would jump up and take Barzal, or at least Connor.  But after they made the move to jump up and grab Konecny I realized they got a player with similar ability without having to give up too much.  Again, another brilliant move to know when to make the right move.

I love what Hextall is doing.  He is reminding me of a chess player.  Making small, smat moves that go under the radar, until his board is set up to pounce on the other guy.  I think once the D-men are ready, one will be moved to bring in a major offensive piece, and you will see a tone of moves in FA to get a stanley cup worthy team in here.

I think once the D-men are ready, one will be moved to bring in a major offensive piece, and you will see a tone of moves in FA to get a stanley cup worthy team in here

I hope that part isn't true. I'm optimistic that Hextall can build a Cup worthy team without a ton of FA moves.

I hope that part isn't true.

I don't think it will...core Dmen are just to hard to find...Flyers are so good at finding forwards...i think they'll sign a ready forward before trading away a home grown Dman.

I hope that part isn't true. I'm optimistic that Hextall can build a Cup worthy team without a ton of FA moves.

from Jack's mouth to God's ears... please, I hope Hexy stays patient and skips the dumb FA signings...

My fault, I must have misunderstood the guy.  Maybe he was saying 400 a seat, which is still ridiculously cheap for 41 games.

And my point if FA is, as long as its done properly, and at the right time, I have no issue filling wholes with FA's.  And judging by how Hextall has handeled FA so far, and strategy with drafting, I have a feeling that he will make the same type of moves that they did in LA.  

I think of Giroux and Voracek like the Kopitar and Brown.  Sanheim, Morin, and Provorov like Doughty, Johnson, and Voynov.

Eventually we will likely draft some decent young forwards that may be moved for a guy like Mike Richards.  Move a defenseman like Gostisbhere for a forward like Carter... Maybe like a Matt Read plus some picks for a guy like Gaborik....  The key will be to wait till our defense is ready, to add the forwards via trade and free-agency.

I think of Giroux and Voracek like the Kopitar and Brown.  Sanheim, Morin, and Provorov like Doughty, Johnson, and Voynov.

Eventually we will likely draft some decent young forwards that may be moved for a guy like Mike Richards.  Move a defenseman like Gostisbhere for a forward like Carter... Maybe like a Matt Read plus some picks for a guy like Gaborik....  The key will be to wait till our defense is ready, to add the forwards via trade and free-agency.

Wouldn't it just be easier to cheer for the Kings?

Archived