Kyle Dubas discusses prospect development philosophy

JR Ewing

Dubas:

"I think that for us, it runs two-fold. We don't want our players going up to the Leafs before they're ready, and we don't want them shuttling up and down. We want players to be called up to the Leafs when they're young and on the first two years of their entry-level contracts ONLY when they prove that they can be a Leaf, all the time. We don't want players going up and then coming down. We saw last year with Stuart Percy and Sam Carrick, they go up, and they come back down, and it really rattles the players' confidence. Even though it's a joyful experience to play your first NHL game, to make the team and get recalled, it gets your psyche out of order a little bit.

And I think that's on us, it's not on the players. We have to be the ones making sure we're doing what's right by the players. So for us, if players are developing along with the Marlies, players that are starting here [in Orlando] will be developing along with here... and it's a whole domino effect that rolls down. I have a lot of trust in Anthony's ability to develop, that when a player is ready to come up to the Marlies, he's ready. And in the Marlies, when they're ready for Mike Babcock. So, there are three stages of development, even though there are many micro-stages within those that are vital. But we're very happy with the program we have in place now."

The verbal coming out of Toronto is the best I've heard in many many years. Besides bringing in a great coach, they have a young executive that could sell common sense by the can on a street corner. Yes! Players should arrive in the NHL when they've demonstrated that they're ready for it, full stop.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/orlando-solar-bears/2015/7/23/9019313/kyle-dubas-discusses-prospect-development-philosophy

This upcoming season the entire Marlies team is going to be up here in the NHL, whether they're ready or not.

It's a nice speech he made and all, but when the season is over, and I look at Toronto's player stats for the 2015-16 season, and I'm looking at 6pt font size print because the Leafs have dressed 60 different players, then we'll see.  :D

This upcoming season the entire Marlies team is going to be up here in the NHL, whether they're ready or not.

It's a nice speech he made and all, but when the season is over, and I look at Toronto's player stats for the 2015-16 season, and I'm looking at 6pt font size print because the Leafs have dressed 60 different players, then we'll see.  :D

I hope not. But we shall see.

I am curious as to who gets the ball a rolling on burning ELC's.

I still don't know why they call it "Burning a year" when it comes to ELC's.

Once you start burning an ELC, it continues to burn regardless of where they play. if a guy plays 10 games in the NHL one year, it burns one year. if he plays the entire next season in the AHL, it still burns the second year

I hope not. But we shall see.

I am curious as to who gets the ball a rolling on burning ELC's.

I still don't know why they call it "Burning a year" when it comes to ELC's.

Once you start burning an ELC, it continues to burn regardless of where they play. if a guy plays 10 games in the NHL one year, it burns one year. if he plays the entire next season in the AHL, it still burns the second year

Probably because you want them under control at the NHL level for as long as possible. To have them wasting additional years developing in the minors or playing only small chunks of NHL seasons is hurting the NHL team (assuming they do develop into a superstar player). Ideally they would come up, make an immediate impact, and stick with the NHL club for the entire duration of their ELC.  :)

Archived