Anyone familiar with this Russian goalie on our roster? Markov?

Buffalo Rick

Not sure i spelled it right but did not know they picked him up or if he came right from the KHL?  I got a call from my friend in San Jose, he wants me to get tickets to the game in Nov as he will be here.  So I may be at the Sharks game but I know I am going to others too

Junkie, like me you live in Rochester so you should be familiar with Makarov because he has been on the Amerks the past couple of years. As ihabs mentioned he is a decent prospect but it's tough to truly evaluate him because the defense in front of him has been garbage the past couple of years and he has faced a lot of shots, odd man rushes etc. He is pretty quick and has an above average glove hand, needs to work on rebound control and angles IMO. Time will tell.

Get to an Amerk game my friend, help support the Rochester economy :) 60th season this year and they have a lot of cool things planned to celebrate.

• 5 weeks later...

Junkie, like me you live in roster so you should be familiar with Makarov because he has been on the Amerks the past couple of years. As ihabs mentioned he is a decent prospect but it's tough to truly evaluate him because the defense in front of him has been garbage the past couple of years and he has faced a lot of shots, odd man rushes etc. He is pretty quick and has an above average glove hand, needs to work on rebound control and angles IMO. Time will tell.

Get to an Amerk game my friend, help support the Rochester economy :) 60th season this year and they have a lot of cool things planned to celebrate.

I used to go often back in the old days.  1968 was my first game vs the old Aces.  I went during the Keenan years too.  But now I go to Sabres games.  Now we finally have some light at the end of the tunnel again.  Pegula is going to build the Bills and Sabres both into contenders and he is going to do it fast

@Hockey Junkie  Just wanted to say bro....congrats on a GREAT opening game by your Bills. You must have been very pleased. That was a great effort in all 3 phases of the game, Special Teams, Offense and Defense. That was a very good Colts team that made look like a pile of steaming dog poo. Big test next week, they have to beat the Pats to grow as a team. I just knew that Rex Ryan would be a great fit.....the guy knows the division like the back of his hand coming from the Jets. Perfect coaching selection. We all knew the defense was superior, but the offense clicking like that.....very nice!!

@Hockey Junkie  Just wanted to say bro....congrats on a GREAT opening game by your Bills. You must have been very pleased. That was a great effort in all 3 phases of the game, Special Teams, Offense and Defense. That was a very good Colts team that made look like a pile of steaming dog poo. Big test next week, they have to beat the Pats to grow as a team. I just knew that Rex Ryan would be a great fit.....the guy knows the division like the back of his hand coming from the Jets. Perfect coaching selection. We all knew the defense was superior, but the offense clicking like that.....very nice!!

Yes it was great.  And Vegas is giving us respect as a pick next week.  I say we beat them.  We beat them up there last game last year with Brady in.  We can beat them.  But Belecheck is a cheating SOB.  Likely has our playbook.  You know, I really think a Bills vs Eagles SB is very possible.   I have some good friends that are Eagles fans including my son in law.  They may make the trip to Philly for the Bills visit if they can land tickets on Stub Hub

You know, I really think a Bills vs Eagles SB is very possible.

I was actually thinking about that possible match up in August. Right now, it looks a lot more like the Bills going to the playoffs...and the Eagles on the outside looking in.....they still might pull this out, but what a STINKY effort against the Falcons.

Makarov was the goalie for Team Russia at the 2012 WJC a few years ago...he played well and I was surprised he didnt get drafted that year. He had a .88 GAA and a save % of .979 at the WJC. Saved 57 of 58 shots in the final but lost to Sweden 1 - 0 in OT. Shared the net with Andrei Vasilevsky. Quite the duo.

Was playing for the Saskatoon Blades before signing with Buffalo.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=129733

He is good.

Kevin

@

Welcome! we need lots more educated puck fans. Welcome aboard.

Makorov in the few times I saw him seemed technically flawed in one area, when he drops down he has a hard time getting back up so he kind of thrashes around until the puck is cleared. It was unusual enough that I noticed, he would stay down until the puck went to the corner and then kind of pull himself back up. Not saying it is a deal killer just very unusual. I am not sold on Lehner by a long shot so truthfully he could end up in Buffalo before long.

@  Is Makarov supposed to be the heir apparent in the Sabre nets, or has somebody else been touted as the eventual starter?

I think they are "hoping" that he will be...He was just signed as a FA so it didnt cost them a thing as far as picks or trades go. Why not grab him....still young..and they dont need him yet.

I am not sold on Lehner either but I do think they will go get a good goalie in a few years when they are ready to compete.

Archived