Brian Engblom- New Color Analyst For Lightning Broadcasts on SunSports

brianengblom.jpg

17722307.jpg?t=1418227740

From the Bolts website:

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776697

This isn't a HUGE earth shattering deal, but very interesting for long time Bolts fans or anyone who regularly tunes in to Sun Sports in Florida.

"Chief" Bobby Taylor, longtime color analyst for the Bolts dating back to the 90's, is stepping aside as color commentator, and replacing him will be former ESPN / Vs Sports / NBC Sports color analyst/studio reporter/on ice reporter, Mr. Brian Engblom.

Personally, I call this an upgrade, as I have always liked Engblom's analysis.

He may not be the supreme X's and O's guy, but he does bring up some interesting points as plays materialize, asks good questions while on ice with coaches and players, and tends to go a bit beyond just what you see right in front of you and into the possible mindsets of players as games go on.

Something that is the very definition of "color analyst".

Bobby Taylor has the nostalgic factor for longtime listeners and watchers such as myself, but honestly, Chief's anlaysis always left MUCH to be desired.....particularly as an on air voice.

Taylor will be moving to pre and post game studio work where his knowledge of hockey will probably come through much better with the slower pace of that type of reporting as opposed to the "think on your feet quickly" deal that is required of game commentators.

Brian Engblom has said he missed working for just a single team, and is looking forward to doing just that.

His play by play man will be none other than Rick Peckham, who, although I may sound homerish saying so, is one of the better broadcasters out there.

Peckham does occasional work for NBC Sports to do national games, and honestly, I can't tell the difference between him doing a national game, and him doing a "homer" Lightning game.....he is THAT professional.

He and Engblom should make a fine team in the broadcast booth, and I for one, feel Lightning fans are going to get a quality broadcast every time out.

Welcome to Sun Sports, the Lightning family, and to Tampa, FL, Mr. Engblom...looking forward to hearing your voice on the Bolts airwaves........via Centre Ice of course, now that I live in Minnesota...hehe.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  If Brian does a broadcast anything like the way he played, you people are in for a treat....easily one of the most underrated d-men of all time in my books.

Oh, I know Brian Engblom (the broadcaster not the player) quite well, as I can recall as a young'un watching ESPN's Hockey Night broadcasts with Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, with Darren Pang and Brian Engblom doing on ice or studio work.

Very fine team right there....just glad Bolts fans will be getting a piece of that for their broadcasts now.

As much as I like Bobby Taylor because he was one of the first voices I listened to as I became a Bolts fan, then an overall NHL fan, I always felt Rick Peckham needed someone with a better on air presence and voice than Taylor could provide, and I think Engblom can bring that.

Chief Taylor certainly was entertaining...everything from his ref tirades to his NHL conspiracies against the Bolts, but like I said, I think Taylor's talents (the guy DOES know hockey...he is just a bit...errrr, goofy about it...lol) will shine through better in at the more relaxed pace that the pre and post game shows will provide.

When not agitated by the NHL, the refs, and the opposing players, Chief Taylor actually has some interesting breakdowns of games!  ;)

@jammer2

@AJgoal

@mojo1917

Oh, and guys, then there is this:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/29/video-brian-engblom-takes-a-puck-to-the-head/

Late last season, Engblom took a tipped puck to the head (from Sidney Crosby...figures.... :P  ) during a broadcast for NBC Sports, but just like the former NHL defenseman he was, he got a few stitches and was right back out there working the game later on.

I guess, maybe Bolts fans can now say "My color commentator is tougher than YOUR color commentator" , huh?  :D

#MicroPhoneWarrior

• 1 month later...

I gotta say, i am really liking Brian Engblom on Tampa Bay local broadcasts......he gives the entire thing more of a national broadcast feel.

The guy has obviously been told he has to be a bit more homerish for the local cast, but you can still see his national TV roots where the guy still puts out a very unbiased spin on what has been going on during the game.

Guy's voice is very smooth and easy to listen to, very informative on both teams playing, and between he and Rick Peckham, one could understandably mistake a Bolts in-game commentary spot for a national one.

Good job, Brian Engblom, and good job Sun Sports hiring this guy!

:thumbsu:

@mojo1917  Dave Strader used to the do the Wings games, he knows his stuff. The broadcast as a whole got an epic fail though, cause Micky Redmond is maybe the worst homer in the business.

Agree wholeheartedly on Strader. I'm not a particular fan of Doc Emrick, other than the fact that he DOES know his hockey history and does his research well. But I like Dave's broadcast style far better than Doc's. It seems much less contrived.

Regarding color guys being homers, I would rather the local color commentator be a homer than the play-by-play guy. Redmond has actually softened his homerisms to a degree, far from objective. But in the past few seasons, he has been critical of the Wings at times (whenever he did it, you can bet your a** it was deserved), and CERTAINLY has given his two cents worth about how he doesn't exactly appreciate the direction of the game as far as letting the boys play has been going away. I'm a Red Wing fan, so I'm not gonna object to him as much as others will, but I'd rather Redmond be the homer than the guy calling the play.

Strader-Redmond was excellent for a local broadcasting team. Strader got better and better during his time with the Wings. I was sorry to see him go. His replacement, Ken Daniels, is not bad, but he's not Dave Strader.

I remember back to the first Winter Classic between the Red Wings and Blackhawks in Chicago. I was THRILLED when Doc Emrick lost his voice the night before the game, and Dave Strader had to be brought in at the last minute to do the broadcast on NBC. I still think he is my favorite American TV hockey play-by-play man.

Too many shots in Emrick's games are called "SHOTS" when all they really are are "shots." It's OK to do it a little, trying to bring more excitement into the game/broadcast, but IMHO Doc WAY overdoes that.

One semi-criticism of Strader is that he does have a tendency to speak VERY quickly when the action level rises. However, I can't really say that I have ever not been able to understand him when he does it, and I'm not even very good at doing that in general, so that says a lot.

Archived