2nd Greatest Pittsburgh Penguin player (after Mario)

yave1964

Greatest Penguin ever (besides Lemieux)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the second greatest Penguin player of all time?

• Sidney Crosby
    • Gino Malkin
    • Jaromir Jagr
    • Marc Andre Fleury
    • Jean Pronovost

However if you are explicity talking about Crosby surpassing him in the sense that he accomplishes more then Jagr, then i believe that to be far more improbable.

People will always fall back on the ol' "but he played with Mario" thing, but in reality, when he came back to North America after his KHL gig, he played with limited offensive weapons and still put up very respectable point totals....case in point, the 13-14 season with the Devils....no real stars to speak of, yet put up 67 pts as a 42 year old. That speaks volumes to me. Nobody (except Jagr I guess) puts up point totals like that in their 40's. If he had stayed in the NHL and not gone to Europe, who knows what kind of records he would have broken. There is no doubt Mario helped out his point toatls, to argue otherwise would be foolish, but the past few years, as he rented himself out on a yearly basis, he has really put a stamp on just how great he is, and how he withstood the test of time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2497

People will always fall back on the ol' "but he played with Mario" thing, but in reality, when he came back to North America after his KHL gig, he played with limited offensive weapons and still put up very respectable point totals....case in point, the 13-14 season with the Devils....no real stars to speak of, yet put up 67 pts as a 42 year old. That speaks volumes to me. Nobody (except Jagr I guess) puts up point totals like that in their 40's. If he had stayed in the NHL and not gone to Europe, who knows what kind of records he would have broken. There is no doubt Mario helped out his point toatls, to argue otherwise would be foolish, but the past few years, as he rented himself out on a yearly basis, he has really put a stamp on just how great he is, and how he withstood the test of time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2497

Those people are rather ignorant. Jagr actually won 4 art ross WITHOUT Lemieux. Athough Francis was present for the majority of Jagr's art ross wins excluding two. However, no one considered him the greater offensive threat. Besides, Jagr's most impressive art ross win was without Francis or Lemieux, when he won with a 127 point season. His daily linemates consisted of superstar players such as Jan Hrdina and Kip Miller that year....

In 13-14 I believe his regular linemates where Zubrus and Zajac. Your indeed correct, not exactly elite caliber players...

Actually that's false, both Selanne and Messier accumulated atleast 60 points at the same age.

It can be debated that Crosby has already exceeded Jagr based on ability, However if you are explicity talking about Crosby surpassing him in the sense that he accomplishes more then Jagr, then i believe that to be far more improbable.

Not in the over all sense, I think his longevity and injuries will prevent that, but as this is a topic on greatest Penguins, I limited my thoughts to  what Jagr did "As a Penguin".

• 2 weeks later...

Jagr right now.... Sid will eventually surpass him...

Scoring more goals will help with that.  :D

Although it's a minor knock on Crosby, I will say this and leave it as a "food for thought" comment:  Nobody ever talks about Adam Oates or Joe Thornton.

Crosby runs the risk of having a great, albeit "who cares" type of NHL career where he is easily forgotten after he retires because of the fact that he is getting too many of his points from assists and isn't doing enough to put the puck in the net himself. Until I see a goal scorers mentality return to Sid (like he had earlier in his career), I don't know if he will eclipse Jagr or not.

Archived