THN - Flyers preview

brelic

LOL, love this paragraph:

The bulk of the problems start on the back-end where their second-best d-man appears to be Luke Schenn. That’s never a good sign. Their top guy is 38-year-old Streit. Also not a good sign. Then there’s Andrew MacDonald, who is being paid $5 million per season to cost his team almost one win versus a replacement player. Basically, it’s an unmitigated disaster that’s hardly playoff caliber.

It's a perfectly reasonable slot for the Flyers, but one that the article does acknowledge they can improve upon.

The toughest thing is the competition within the division. Keep in mind that this article's projection has them at 91 points - a seven point increase over last season - and still posits them in sixth place.

And the "best case" has them at 100 points which last season would barely squeak into the playoffs.and would have had them 4th in the division facing Montreal in the first round.

they need scoring power. So far I can see Jake, Giroux and Simm. I still doubt about Shenn, if ever come around. May be he doesn't fit in flyers, like remember Versteeg.

Versteeg was also out of shape that year. When he got dealt from the Blackhawks to the Leafs, when it came time for the physicals at training camp, he barely passed. Ron Wilson had mentioned just how out of shape Versteeg was and that they had told him he was going to get top line billing, so they needed him to be able to play roughly 19 minutes a night. Worst trade the Flyers ever made because Versteeg just sucked.

Apparently Okposo could be on the move. He's a RW, but has he ever played on the left side? 

I have heard that Okposo rumor as well. I really don't understand it. Two years ago, he had 69 pts in 72 games, just under a pt per game, last year he only played 61 games and had over 50 pts....he has one year left on his deal and only requires 2.8 mill this coming season....he is a UFA after this season. Where else are you going to get just under a ppg for under 3 mill??....Okposo is not the problem, he is part of the solution. The Islanders also have over 8 mill in cap space going into this year, so no need to unload a contract to save money.....I would keep Okposo and not think twice about it.

Archived