Why can't the Sabres surprise and sneak into a low seed?

Buffalo Rick

Or have watched him play for their team for the past three seasons.

He was 9-12-3, 3.02, .905 for the Sens last season.

True story.

Pretending facts don't exist doesn't make them go away.

No that is not great but I have seen much worse.  How old is he?  Gee, I wonder what Hasek's number's were with the Blackhawk's when they traded him to us in one of the worst trades in NHL history?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No that is not great but I have seen much worse.  How old is he?  Gee, I wonder what Hasek's number's were with the Blackhawk's when they traded him to us in one of the worst trades in NHL history?

It's not really possible to compare the game from 1991-1992 to today's game in terms of goalie numbers. You know that.

That said, Hasek had appeared in all of 25 games over two seasons for the Blackhawks and was 13-4-2, 2.58, .897. The Hawks went to the Final the year before he was traded.

Leher has played 86 games for the Sens over parts of five seasons and is 30-36-13, 2.88, .914

Lehner's 25 games last season didn't qualify him in Yahoo!s stats category (min 27 games played) but he would be nestled in between and Curtis McIlhenny (CBJ) and Kari Lehtfourin (DAL) in GAA for 35th in the league if he did. His SV% would put him right behind James Reimer (TOR) and just ahead of Mike Smith (ARI) tied with Darcy Kuemper (MIN), tied for 35th.

By way of comparison, he's replacing Jhonas Enroth who's a career 2.88, .909.

It's not really possible to compare the game from 1991-1992 to today's game in terms of goalie numbers. You know that.

That said, Hasek had appeared in all of 25 games over two seasons for the Blackhawks and was 13-4-2, 2.58, .897. The Hawks went to the Final the year before he was traded.

Leher has played 86 games for the Sens over parts of five seasons and is 30-36-13, 2.88, .914

Lehner's 25 games last season didn't qualify him in Yahoo!s stats category (min 27 games played) but he would be nestled in between and Curtis McIlhenny (CBJ) and Kari Lehtfourin (DAL) in GAA for 35th in the league if he did. His SV% would put him right behind James Reimer (TOR) and just ahead of Mike Smith (ARI) tied with Darcy Kuemper (MIN), tied for 35th.

By way of comparison, he's replacing Jhonas Enroth who's a career 2.88, .909.

Also, compare Lehner's numbers to Andrew Hammond's. In 24 games, he posted a .941 and 1.79. That's with the same team in front of him that was in front of Lehner. It's more than simply being unproven. Hammond was unproven. It's a matter of not living up to potential, and Lehner has fallen flat in that area.

Just on the surface of things it's easy to know that you'd want Hasek's 2.58 GAA compared to Lehner's 2.88, but when you consider that Hasek did that in a much higher scoring era, it's even clearer. The average league wide save percentage in 1991-92 was .887. Hasek was well above that. Last year's was .911. Lehner was below average there, with a .905 save percentage, which, BTW, was worse than the .908 of the much-maligned Sabres netminders. His GAA last season was 3.02. Comparing the numbers, it shows that Lehner is on a downward trajectory.

Let's take a deeper look and we'll see proof. The 2012-13 season was when he began to impress. He played 12(!) of the 48 games that year, and put up a .936, 2.20. The fact that it was only 12 games should have cautioned some people -- myself included -- not to get too excited. In 36 games the next season, he posted a .913 and 3.02. Those numbers were comparable to Anderson's because of the latter having a brutal start to the season, but at least Anderson improved late. Lehner really didn't. He was pretty consistent. Then, you have the numbers from last year. The GAA was down slightly, but he wasn't facing quite as many shots as the year before. Even so, the save percentage was down. Even the most stalwart of his supporters among Sens fans couldn't overlook that.

The more I think about it, and the more we dig into the statistics, the worse the trade looks for Buffalo. If he keeps going the way he has been, which, mind you, is not guaranteed, things are going to get ugly this season.

I liked what I saw last night and big time.  We make and early mistake, and they score.  I can live with that on opening night with a young team. Our goalie goes down, and perhaps for good?  We have to go shopping and burn up one of more of those draft picks if thats what it takes to get a decent goalie.  The Sabres showed heart and were all over the Sens and especially after Eichel raised the rafters with his first NHL goal.  And it was a very nice one.  Not a cheap tuck in or garbage goal.  A well timed shot lifted into the top shelf where Rick Jeanorette hides the cookies.  Evander Kane then gets a goal and its taken away by the new challenge rule.  Bylsma needs to make sure that we pay them back for that one. Down the road.  I have a feeling we will.  If not on the monitor on the ice.  This Sabres team has lots to like.  The glaring weakness is one we have rarely had in our history.  Goalie.  We do not have a quality goalie for the first time I can remember.  Even Jhonas Enroth would be a sight for sore eyes right now.  But we are not trying to win a Cup this year.   Baby steps?  No.  Toddler steps I would say.  We can get this team to the playoffs by next year if we can simply develope as a unit and get a goalie.  If things do not work out for Miller in Vancouver, I believe he would  consider a return if Murray is open to that?  But I have to believe if Edmonton can land Talbut we can get someone. Someone last night mentioned Emery.  I do not like him but will admit he is better than anyone we now have?  Unless Markov has more upside than I am aware of?  Cody Franzen is another guy that is going to contribute.  And Jamie McGinn.  I liked what I saw.  Even in defeat.

We have to go shopping and burn up one of more of those draft picks if thats what it takes to get a decent goalie.

Pretty sure that Miller guy in VAN is available, considering how well Markstrom played last year

I liked what I saw last night and big time.  We make and early mistake, and they score.  I can live with that on opening night with a young team. Our goalie goes down, and perhaps for good?  We have to go shopping and burn up one of more of those draft picks if thats what it takes to get a decent goalie.  The Sabres showed heart and were all over the Sens and especially after Eichel raised the rafters with his first NHL goal.  And it was a very nice one.  Not a cheap tuck in or garbage goal.  A well timed shot lifted into the top shelf where Rick Jeanorette hides the cookies.  Evander Kane then gets a goal and its taken away by the new challenge rule.  Bylsma needs to make sure that we pay them back for that one. Down the road.  I have a feeling we will.  If not on the monitor on the ice.  This Sabres team has lots to like.  The glaring weakness is one we have rarely had in our history.  Goalie.  We do not have a quality goalie for the first time I can remember.  Even Jhonas Enroth would be a sight for sore eyes right now.  But we are not trying to win a Cup this year.   Baby steps?  No.  Toddler steps I would say.  We can get this team to the playoffs by next year if we can simply develope as a unit and get a goalie.  If things do not work out for Miller in Vancouver, I believe he would  consider a return if Murray is open to that?  But I have to believe if Edmonton can land Talbut we can get someone. Someone last night mentioned Emery.  I do not like him but will admit he is better than anyone we now have?  Unless Markov has more upside than I am aware of?  Cody Franzen is another guy that is going to contribute.  And Jamie McGinn.  I liked what I saw.  Even in defeat.

Other than the neverending Miller dream, nice to see you being realistic. The future is bright for the Sabres, but the time isn't now.

If our D pans out maybe Philly and Buffalo can get back to playing some games that matter again.  :thumbsu:

Archived