Ben Scrivens Waived: Is He Done as an NHL Netminder?

TropicalFruitGirl26

ben-scrivens-03162014.jpg?quality=55&str

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=41643&navid=nhl:topheads

On waivers, does a team take a chance with him?

Does he clear and ends up buried in the minors?

Honestly, with all the crap he has gotten (much of it justified), he DOES seem to perform better with not only a defense oriented team (like he did in LA), but with limited exposure...... I.E. as a backup or at best, a platoon goalie.

Give him too many starts, lots of chances for teams to look at him (as in his last year with Edmonton where he played nearly 60 games) and he just gets exposed.

Of course, the Oiler defense wouldn't have been much help to ANYONE last season, they may be a bit better this year, but probably not by leaps n bounds.

Still though, do you think he is done as an NHL'er?

Already given too many chances and outside of that little 19 or 20 game run with the Kings, not really shown much?

I think he would make the perfect backup for some team with a stud goalie in net already who can handle about 60 games, while Scrivens takes about 20-22.

Now whether Scrivens can ingrain that into his mindset is another thing altogether (he may still believe himself to be a starting NHL goaltender), but I think if some team can convince him to take the lesser spotlight and just put in his 20+ games a year, he may be able to carve out a nice career NHL backup role.

The guy is only 29 still.

And like I said, with a defense oriented team and less exposure, he may find a fit somewhere.

Whether someone will pluck him off waivers though, at a $2.3 mil cap hit to be a backup with possible issues, will remain to be seen.

Though it is possible he ends up in the minors and someone either trades for him then as the season wears on, or he plays out his last contract year with Edmonton in the minors, then gets a lesser contract to be backup elsewhere.

If the Bolts weren't in such a cap strap, I'd say maybe THEY should get him off waivers to back up Ben Bishop.

But aside from his 2.3 hit, Andrei Vasilevskiy isn't expected out TOO long and the Bolts really want the duo of Bishop and Vasy.

But I have to believe, since the Bolts went looking outside the org to find an experienced backup to Bishop, that they might toy with the idea at least.

Scrivens HAS to be better than Emery and Poulin......

What do you guys think?

Some team will take a chance on him again?

Ben Scrivens had the worst SV% in the NHL last year, accounting for almost 45 GA difference from an average goalie. We're talking about 13-14 wins erased from shite goaltending. But JR, you say, ANY goalie would look terrible behind that defense! Scrivens still had the worst Low-Danger SV% in the NHL. Nobody let in as many softies as did Ben Scrivens.

A look at his Hextally chart illustrates a horror show that Wes Craven would be proud of:

oD0Mn9o.jpg

Look at those big red dots where Scrivens let in easy goals from outside of the danger spot: the home plate area in front of the net. Nightmarish.

Some things work against Scrivens:

a) Cam Talbot

b) He's Craig MacTavish's guy.

c) Peter Chiarelli brought in two goalies: Talbot and Anders Nilsson. In this situation, you're best bet is to figure on the new GM's players getting the jobs.

An average backup goalie, nothing more or less. Unfortunately there are only 30 of those jobs laying around and i is days until the season starts. And it is not as if he were simply released and can hope for a soft landing in Los Angeles or with the Rangers, the Oilers still hold his rights.

My bet is he is AHL bound but will be back if/when Talbot and company experience injuries or falter. The F-Troop that he had in front of him will be improved this year, if given another shot and too much is not asked he would be okay.

If the Bolts weren't in such a cap strap, I'd say maybe THEY should get him off waivers to back up Ben Bishop.

I thought you were a Bolts fan!?!? Why would Tampa take this guy anywhere but to a vet? "There, there old boy, you have the Scrivvies, you are hurting people and yourself..... there, there."

Archived