Six Senators That Need to Do More This Season

ScottM

gZQmEUg.jpg

We all know the Senators are coming off of a historic run and a lot of guys stepped up and made a name for themselves. As a Senators fan, I see a very bright future for this team, and I fully believe a repeat is possible, if not likely as the youngsters continue to develop. That said, there are still some guys that need to give more for the season to be all that it can be. I want to highlight five of them in this post and explain what I think the team needs from each of them.

1. Bobby Ryan

For the first time in his career in a full, non-shortened season, Bobby Ryan scored fewer than 20 goals in 2014-15. For much of his career, he has been a 30-goal scorer. Ryan needs to improve on his 18 goals from last season. It would be nice to see him return or get close to 30 again, and I think he needs to get back to at least 25. The Senators certainly need him to avoid any stretches like the one he had in his last 20 games of last season, when he scored only a single goal.

2. Milan Michalek

He will probably never be an all-star, but Michalek has proven to be capable offensively in several seasons with the Sharks and Senators. In the 2011-12 season, he even managed to score 35 goals. Last season, however, he posted only 34 points in 66 games. That is certainly enough to keep him on an NHL roster, but ideally, you want more production out of a guy that spent a significant amount of time on the second line. The Sens are a bit thin at left wing, and Michalek needs to do his part to remedy that.

3. Alex Chiasson

He was the centerpiece of the trade that sent Jason Spezza to Dallas. No one can realistically expect Spezza-like offense from him, but 26 points simply will not cut it. Chiasson does not have to be a star, but he needs to make his presence felt. He gave the Stars 35 points in his first full NHL season, and he needs to build on that. It would be nice to see him make the jump to 40 points or so. He has the talent to stay around for a while, but he needs to show more consistency.

4. Curtis Lazar

Lazar was a late-bloomer last year. He was seldom mentioned early, but much more of a factor in the last quarter of the season. Few have any doubts about Stone, Hoffman, Zibanejad, etc., but Lazar needs to show that he can produce over a full season. He had nine points in 55 games to begin the season and then managed six in his last 12 games. A full campaign with a scoring pace more closely resembling the latter would establish him as a key piece of the roster.

5. Mark Methot

When he was healthy, Methot played very well last season. Healthy is the key word. Injuries limited him to only 45 games in 2014-15. He is probably never going to give you a significant amount of offense, but as far as being a shutdown defenseman is concerned, few are better. With Methot in the lineup, Karlsson has more freedom to Karlsson, and for the Senators to reach their maximum potential this year, they need a top flight effort from their captain.

6. Craig Anderson

Anderson's line is very similar to Methot's. Staying healthy is the name of the game. When he is in good health, Anderson is one of the best goalies in the game. Ottawa looks a lot better in net after the rise of the "Hamburglar" last year, but I highly doubt they want to force last year's sensation to start 50 games. If Anderson can be in net for 50-55 games, there should be little concern about the team's goaltending.

There you have it. If those six guys can do those things, the Senators could be heading toward an outstanding season. The team could establish itself as a true force in the league, but every piece of the machine has to do its job.

Good list, @ScottM , but if I may, I am going to disagree with one of them and add one in his place.

Craig Anderson.

I really don't think he needs to "do more", but he DOES need to stay healthy.

When healthy and playing regularly, he has shown he can be as good as any netminder in the league.

Standing on his head to make impossible saves, as you know well, is what he does NORMALLY.

A healthy Craig Anderson means he can continue to do what he has always done, and his team will always have a chance.

I would put in Anderson's place on this list, Mike Hoffman.

At 25 years old, he had a breakout season last year in putting up his 27 goals and 48 points.

While that is nice, he NOW needs to show consistency...show that last season was not a fluke, and on top of that, that he can perhaps better that peformance with perhaps a repeat on the goals and add some more assists to put his point totals in the 55-60 point range.

He had shown his scoring touch with his Jr team and with Binghamton, he now needs to translate that that to the big club on a consistent basis...and Ottawa could use every bit of it from him starting THIS season.

Good list, @ScottM , but if I may, I am going to disagree with one of them and add one in his place.

Craig Anderson.

I really don't think he needs to "do more", but he DOES need to stay healthy.

When healthy and playing regularly, he has shown he can be as good as any netminder in the league.

Standing on his head to make impossible saves, as you know well, is what he does NORMALLY.

A healthy Craig Anderson means he can continue to do what he has always done, and his team will always have a chance.

I would put in Anderson's place on this list, Mike Hoffman.

At 25 years old, he had a breakout season last year in putting up his 27 goals and 48 points.

While that is nice, he NOW needs to show consistency...show that last season was not a fluke, and on top of that, that he can perhaps better that peformance with perhaps a repeat on the goals and add some more assists to put his point totals in the 55-60 point range.

He had shown his scoring touch with his Jr team and with Binghamton, he now needs to translate that that to the big club on a consistent basis...and Ottawa could use every bit of it from him starting THIS season.

I almost put Hoffman in there, but I think he got the message when he was sent to the fourth line for a while, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he proves he doesn't deserve that, you'll hear about it from me, I promise. Lol. If you want my thoughts on what he needs to do, I'm not really even worried about the assists. Some guys are just natural scorers and not as much on the playmaking side. I think that's where Hoffman is. The thing he needs to improve is his defense. He doesn't have to be another Mark Stone, but he needs to not be a liability. If he does that, I'll be very happy.

You're right about Anderson too. I don't expect him to do more than he does when he's on the ice, but he needs to "do it more" by playing more games. I don't mean that to come across as a criticism of him or Methot, but they certainly need to be out there more. That's the only reason for the inclusion of either on the list. A big reason for putting Methot on there was just to have a defenseman. I could have put Ceci or Borowiecki in there, but they both seem to be developing well and were pretty solid last year.

@ScottM

Anderson would top my list as @TropicalFruitGirl26 mentioned. With all due respect to the half a season that Hammond put up, can anyone seriously expect that to happen again? If the Sens are going to make hay, it starts and possibly ends with Anderson.

BOBBY RYAN, whew, I posted elsewhere his goals have dropped for five consecutive full seasons now, bottoming out last year at an anemic 18. He needs to find the touch again this year. Marc Methot needs to stay healthy. He is a sound player who needs to be in the lineup and do his thing. Now who did the Senators trade for him again?

The two Chris's, the last vestiges of the almost great Senators teams of a decade ago, Mr. Phillips and Mr. Neil are at the put up or shut up time of their careers. Not much is expected of either of them so if they do anything at all it is a bonus.

@yave1964

While I think the light bulb finally came on for Hammond last year, it is unreasonable to expect a repeat. He could have a great year and still see his numbers decline. Besides, it's one thing to do what he did for 28 games, but it's another thing to do it for a full 82-game season. I don't want to see him have to try in his first full season. The more Anderson plays, the more Hammond can relax, and hopefully continue to improve.

Assuming Methot can do his thing, the trade can be good for the team. We're starting to find guys that can make up for Foligno's offense, but we obviously need full production out of the guy we got from him. Right after he won the Norris, Karlsson tweeted to Methot thanking him for returning to help him win the trophy. I think that was very appropriate. Karlsson is a special player, and I don't know if there's anyone in the game today that can cover the ice as well as he can, but Methot's presence in the lineup removes some pressure. Methot makes his more famous partner better.

The reason I didn't include Phillips/Neil in the post is that I think they are all but done. But, yeah, you're right. If they do anything on the ice, it's all a bonus. I think the best "production" we'll get out of them is more of the role of a mentor.

@ScottM  What is up with Michalek? It seems impossible, but the guy gets half the pts of Turris but yet plays on his wing exclusively, on the pp and #1 line...very soft player....I don't think there is much of a trade market for him, but I would move up a Hoffman and kiss his ass goodbye.

I really like Pageau's game. With and without the puck. He has some very nice hockey sense and vision. I still believe the pts will come with him, he's a special player in my mind.

@ScottM

My opinion on the net situation is that one of the two goalies needs to play well. Even if both are healthy, Anderson and Hammond need to play well for the Sens to be competitive. If Anderson can't stay healthy, Hammond better be standing on his head in net, and visa versa. I think they will both play well. Hammond cannot repeat his rookie campaign, but he will be a quality goalie this year. 

@teenagemutantninjahertl Even though I have confidence in Hammond, I'm not keen to find out what happens if he has to make 55 starts. The starting job may be his one day, but I'd rather ease him into it. Last year, there were two guys ahead of him. This year, there's only one. That's why I think Anderson is so vital.

@ScottM  What is up with Michalek? It seems impossible, but the guy gets half the pts of Turris but yet plays on his wing exclusively, on the pp and #1 line...very soft player....I don't think there is much of a trade market for him, but I would move up a Hoffman and kiss his ass goodbye.

I really like Pageau's game. With and without the puck. He has some very nice hockey sense and vision. I still believe the pts will come with him, he's a special player in my mind.

Michalek is on his way down the depth chart. Cameron is moving Ryan to the left side. It makes sense, I think. We have more depth on the right, and I'd rather see Michalek on the third or fourth line anyway.

@teenagemutantninjahertl Even though I have confidence in Hammond, I'm not keen to find out what happens if he has to make 55 starts. The starting job may be his one day, but I'd rather ease him into it. Last year, there were two guys ahead of him. This year, there's only one. That's why I think Anderson is so vital.

There are a lot of guys being thrust into starting roles these days. I think he can do it. It would be better for him to start fewer games and have Anderson play a large backup role, but we'll see.

Archived