A Dream Start

ScottM

HAMMOND_KARLSSON_672_DL.jpg

The Senators have only four games under their belts, but I don't think anyone can say that the start hasn't been good. In fact, when I look at the performance in the first four games, I see plenty of reason to be excited about the season ahead.

1. Offense, Offense, Offense

What team leads the NHL in goals scored so far? Ottawa. So far the Sens have lit the lamps 16 times, averaging four per game, even with the lackluster offensive performance against the Habs. Erik Karlsson is tied for the league lead in points with seven (a four assist game!), and Kyle Turris is tied for the goals lead with four. Six Senators (also including Mark Stone, Mika Zibanejad, Mike Hoffman, and Bobby Ryan) are averaging a point per game or better. Yes, I know that won't last, but it's still an encouraging sign.

2. The Sophomores

I mentioned Stone and Hoffman above, but I want to key in on them a bit more here. A continuation of their play from last year was needed, and so far, we have it. Stone has a goal and five assists, while Hoffman has a goal and three assists. A bit of an increase in the goal scoring pace long term would be nice, but as long as they keep setting up Turris the way they have, all will be fine. I'd like to say something about Hoffman's 200 foot game too. He has made some mistakes defensively, but they don't seem to be as frequent as last season. I don't expect Bob Gainey, but the current trend line is nice. Let me throw Pageau in here too. He's not technically a sophomore, but last year was his "breakout" season. He already has two goals. I see a bright future.

3. Bobby Ryan Scored!

Ryan's slump last season made plenty of news, and the frustration seemed to carry over into this season. He was however able to contribute to the shootout win against Toronto, and last night against Columbus, he notched his first goal of the season. I can't express how relieved I am to see that goal come early in the season. Another early goal to help him breathe easier would be nice, but it's great to see him get that monkey off of his back.

4. Milan Michalek

I called Michalek out in a preseason post, but it looks like there may have been no need. He already has two goals. Michalek doesn't have to be a 60-point guy. The Sens just need more consistent offense than he's been providing. His current points pace is his best in three seasons. If that continues, scratch him off of my list of worries.

5. Goaltending

Early days still, but Anderson's .927 save percentage looks pretty good so far. Matt O'Connor showed that he's capable of play in a pinch against the Habs too. We've yet to see the Hamburglar, but as long as he doesn't feel the pressure to repeat last season, I think he'll be fine. The one thing we need to do is reduce the shots the goalies face. We'll see how it plays out.

HAMMOND_KARLSSON_672_DL.jpg

The Senators have only four games under their belts, but I don't think anyone can say that the start hasn't been good. In fact, when I look at the performance in the first four games, I see plenty of reason to be excited about the season ahead.

1. Offense, Offense, Offense

What team leads the NHL in goals scored so far? Ottawa. So far the Sens have lit the lamps 16 times, averaging four per game, even with the lackluster offensive performance against the Habs. Erik Karlsson is tied for the league lead in points with seven (a four assist game!), and Kyle Turris is tied for the goals lead with four. Six Senators (also including Mark Stone, Mika Zibanejad, Mike Hoffman, and Bobby Ryan) are averaging a point per game or better. Yes, I know that won't last, but it's still an encouraging sign.

2. The Sophomores

I mentioned Stone and Hoffman above, but I want to key in on them a bit more here. A continuation of their play from last year was needed, and so far, we have it. Stone has a goal and five assists, while Hoffman has a goal and three assists. A bit of an increase in the goal scoring pace long term would be nice, but as long as they keep setting up Turris the way they have, all will be fine. I'd like to say something about Hoffman's 200 foot game too. He has made some mistakes defensively, but they don't seem to be as frequent as last season. I don't expect Bob Gainey, but the current trend line is nice. Let me throw Pageau in here too. He's not technically a sophomore, but last year was his "breakout" season. He already has two goals. I see a bright future.

3. Bobby Ryan Scored!

Ryan's slump last season made plenty of news, and the frustration seemed to carry over into this season. He was however able to contribute to the shootout win against Toronto, and last night against Columbus, he notched his first goal of the season. I can't express how relieved I am to see that goal come early in the season. Another early goal to help him breathe easier would be nice, but it's great to see him get that monkey off of his back.

4. Milan Michalek

I called Michalek out in a preseason post, but it looks like there may have been no need. He already has two goals. Michalek doesn't have to be a 60-point guy. The Sens just need more consistent offense than he's been providing. His current points pace is his best in three seasons. If that continues, scratch him off of my list of worries.

5. Goaltending

Early days still, but Anderson's .927 save percentage looks pretty good so far. Matt O'Connor showed that he's capable of play in a pinch against the Habs too. We've yet to see the Hamburglar, but as long as he doesn't feel the pressure to repeat last season, I think he'll be fine. The one thing we need to do is reduce the shots the goalies face. We'll see how it plays out.

ZIbanejad needs mention too. 55.7 in the faceoff circle. 5 points in 4 games

ZIbanejad needs mention too. 55.7 in the faceoff circle. 5 points in 4 games

Very true. He would have been a good guy too mention in that section. Turris abs his faceoffs souls probably get a shout too.

They do look good. Getting rid of Lehner and allowing the goaltending to sort itself out is a huge plus, Zibinejad and the other sophmores look great. If the vets, Ryan, Michalek ect show interest in playing they could be a fun team.

Well, Saturday night was quite disappointing. All in all, I thought the Sens played their best game of the season to this point, and they dominated most of the stats, but goaltending play was the difference. Anderson was good at times, but he was too streaky, and in the end, I thought he had far from his best performance. Hutton on the other hand, played probably the best game of his life, allowing only three goals on well over 40 shots.

There's one thing I don't understand after watching the team in two shootouts so far. Why don't we have Stone among our first three shooters? That guy has an awesome shot, and a high shot percentage. I'd certainly want him taking part if I were behind the bench.

Archived