Jets look focused, last year was no fluke

yave1964

I have watched several Jets games this year because as usual I have Little ands-l225.jpg Buff (by design) and Pavelec (out of necessity, nobody else was left) and several of the kids are intriguing so I wanted to see if they are for real. I have to admit i am more impressed than ever before.

Last year I stated I felt they were a boring team, not good and not bad living somewhere int he twilight where mediocre teams go to die and was rightfully called out for it. I watched them quite a bit down the stretch and was surprised how fun they really were, especially after the Stafford/Myers deal went down.

This year I watched the opener when they toyed with the Bruins like a kid picking wings off a fly, putting them away 6-2 in a game that was every bit as one sided as the score would make one think. Then they put the Devils away in a snoozer, I looked at the game as a coming out of sorts, a game they should have won and won handily. A few years ago the Jets were that team that teams circled on the schedule and beat up on for 2 easy points, now they are the one feasting.

I missed the loss to the Isles but saw them wear down the Rangers, playing the Rangers style of game and saw Little s-l225.jpgwith a shorty and a power play goal and the game winner and saw him single handed destroy my opponent in fantasy hockey. The Jets adapted themselves and played the Ranger type of game and simply wore the Rags out by the third period.

New guy Nicolaj Ehlers is all over the ice, Burmistrov looks like a different player this year than his last NHL stint, Myers and Stafford are comfortable and both look like they are settled in for the long haul. Trouba is the leader in ice time and is an insane plus six through four games. Petan and Copp are fighting for playing time but look hungry and haven't embarrassed themselves when playing.  And Scheifele is making even me learn how to spell his name with 3 goals in 4 games and being all over the ice and threatening to take the number one center away.

The goalies have both been anywhere fromsolid to brilliant in an unusual situation where Pavelec and Hutchinson are alternating starts regardless of the previous performance. Coach Paul Maurice is planning on doing this all year.

They hit, they wear you down with their style, they do not panic. in the opener Krejci opened the scoring for Boston on a bad play, something that a few years ago would have opened the floodgates for the Bruins and finished the Jets off early. Instead they toughened up and simply pounded the Bruins into submission.

They aint your Dads Jets. If you get a chance to watch a game this year, you will not be disapointed.

Very nice write up @yave1964

A very nice hockey team, with a great coach, that plays the way the game is supposed to be played. And they are fastly becoming a development team par excellence, with great scouting, great drafting, great GMing - amassing picks - and a plan

I don't know if most people who don't follow the Jets closely realize it, but the Jets AHL farm team is now in Winnipeg, playing out of the MTS Centre and practising in the same True North facilities as the Jets. This bodes well.

Very nice write up @yave1964

A very nice hockey team, with a great coach, that plays the way the game is supposed to be played. And they are fastly becoming a development team par excellence, with great scouting, great drafting, great GMing - amassing picks - and a plan

I don't know if most people who don't follow the Jets closely realize it, but the Jets AHL farm team is now in Winnipeg, playing out of the MTS Centre and practising in the same True North facilities as the Jets. This bodes well.

Oh wait! You're not a Flames fan, you're a Jets fan! My apologies, it's all Western Canada to me. You're still a damn traitor.  :ph34r:

..it's all Western Canada to me...

For those keeping score at home, @JackStraw has just managed to insult 4 provinces, in particular Alberta for confusing Winnipeg and Calgary. 

You're forgiven good buddy. Last night I was challenged to name US state capitals and was found wanting, so we're even.

The Jets are no joke of a team any longer they have a lot of quality players on their team. Big Buff is one of the best defencemen in the league, Guys like Andrew Ladd, Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, Drew Stafford, Mathieu Perrault lead the way for this group. If they can get steady play from their two goalies Ondrej Pavelec and Michael Hutchinson they could easily be a playoff team.

I think the Jets could surprise you and fall off this year, but I think they will repeat last year. The Jets have the potential to repeat Colorado's disaster of last year.

Here's what makes me a little nervous about the Jets:

1. Inconsistent goaltending- can you really trust this combo in net? I don't. While Pavelec and Hutchinson had good years last year, Pavelec has never been a consistent goaltender. They have tons of good, young goalies, but is this the tandem to take them to the promiseland?

2. Youth- this team is still very young. While they have tons of players that have lots of playoff experience and will push this team to make the playoffs, they also rely on a lot of young players in huge roles, and that isn't always effective.

3. Injuries- the Jets have a good opening-night team on paper, but what happens if a key player gets hurt? I don't know that the Jets have the depth to overcome serious injuries.

The Jets will fare a lot better than the Avalanche after an upstart season, but there is reason for caution. The Jets are on the verge of being Cup contenders, but I don't think they are quite there yet.

The only real offensive loss was Frolik....and that was nicely offset by the arrival of young star Ehlers and the return of prodigal son Burmistrov. Another nice addition was sneaking Nik Petan (former Team Canada World Jr star) into the 4th line to get his feet wet. A fast team added 3 guys who can really skate. It comes real close to creating a natural mismatch in speed for the Jets against most teams in the league.

On defense, Trouba is fully healed from last years injuries and a full year of ever improving Tyler Myers will make for a very solid force on the blueline.

As hertle alluded to....the goaltending is the big question mark here. As soon as Maurice got to the Peg, it seemed as if Pavelec started playing his best hockey of the year, winning back his starting job from the free falling Hutchinson, who was stellar before a spring meltdown sealed his fate as Pavs back up. Apparently, Pavs has some history with Maurice, so the trust was there from the start, and it really showed. I really think this kid Hellybuck is the heir apparent in net, but that will take a while.

As soon as Maurice got to the Peg, it seemed as if Pavelec started playing his best hockey of the year

I don't think it was immediate. I mean, it was Maurice, afterall, who chose to play Hutch instead of Pavs all those games before Pavs lit it up in March/April

Apparently, Pavs has some history with Maurice

Really? Where? 

I think the Jets could surprise you and fall off this year, but I think they will repeat last year. The Jets have the potential to repeat Colorado's disaster of last year.

Here's what makes me a little nervous about the Jets:

1. Inconsistent goaltending- can you really trust this combo in net? I don't. While Pavelec and Hutchinson had good years last year, Pavelec has never been a consistent goaltender. They have tons of good, young goalies, but is this the tandem to take them to the promiseland?

2. Youth- this team is still very young. While they have tons of players that have lots of playoff experience and will push this team to make the playoffs, they also rely on a lot of young players in huge roles, and that isn't always effective.

3. Injuries- the Jets have a good opening-night team on paper, but what happens if a key player gets hurt? I don't know that the Jets have the depth to overcome serious injuries.

The Jets will fare a lot better than the Avalanche after an upstart season, but there is reason for caution. The Jets are on the verge of being Cup contenders, but I don't think they are quite there yet.

Last year, all 4 of their top 4 Dmen were injured and they moved Buff back to D and kept winning. if a Winger gets injured, they can move Buff back up, but don't really need to given their forward depth.

If One of the goalies get injured, not only can the other start, but they can call up their goalie of the future, Hellboy.

The Jets are a team that are only a couple players away from going far into the Stanley Cup playoffs. I think right now they're a playoff team, but I don't think they hang in a short series especially with the goalie they have now with the other playoff caliber teams.

I don't think it was immediate. I mean, it was Maurice, afterall, who chose to play Hutch instead of Pavs all those games before Pavs lit it up in March/April

Really? Where? 

Agreed, Hutch was in fact the go to goalie during the very early tenure of Maurice. I don't recall exactly where I heard it, but I remember the announcers saying that Maurice trusted Pavs and it had something to do with past interactions...not sure where, I will try to find it.

With Maurice back in the league, there are now 3 former Spitfires in NHL head coaching positions. Maurice in Winnipeg, Claude Julien in Boston and Joel Quenville with the Hawks. All 3 were Spitfire captains at one point in their OHL careers AND all 3 have won the Stanley Cup as NHL coaches.....really weird, huh?  The drinking water in Windsor is conduceive to winning....LOL!

Archived